Author Topic: Dark Shadows Memories Video and DVD  (Read 1145 times)

Offline Raholt

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
Dark Shadows Memories Video and DVD
« on: February 26, 2002, 08:18:17 PM »
Originally posted by Richard Holt on the Dark Shadows: General Discussion Forum on February 26, 2002 at 14:18:17:

Well, from what it looks like on the various bookstore sites, including Amazon and Barnes and Nobel, the video release of Dark Shadows Memories didn't happen. I could be wrong, but on Amazon it went from release date today to 1 - 3 delivery time and it not listed under their new releases for this week. The other sites have the video listed as back ordered and the DVD on Amazon changed about a week or so ago from today's date for release to saying no date finalized for release. I wish MPI could get one DS video out on time. They seemed to do well when releasing the series, but other videos have seemed to be plagued with sometimes long delays in finally getting released. I remember a few years back when I was still working at the video store that one video scheduled for release wasn't released for nearly a year after the announced date and then there was no announcement of it being released finally. It just popped up. It seems to me that with the upcoming release of the series on DVD that they would want to get this one out to wet people's appetite for more. I will never understand MPI's marketing of DS.

Raholt

Offline VAM

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Muted
  • Senior Poster
  • Adding to my canvas of life...
    • View Profile
Re: Dark Shadows Memories Video and DVD
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2002, 10:16:45 PM »
Posted by VAM on February 26, 2002 at 16:16:45:
In Reply to: Dark Shadows Memories Video and DVD posted by Richard Holt on February 26, 2002 at 14:18:17:

I will never understand MPI's marketing of DS.

Join the club-You are not the only one...
VAM
It is a good day because I am still ticking!

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2002, 02:38:46 PM »
Originally posted by Steve on February 27, 2002 at 08:38:46:
In Reply to: Re: Dark Shadows Memories Video and DVD posted by VAM on February 26, 2002 at 16:16:45:

Marketing--you mean they actually MARKET the series?

I thought they just randomly sold the tapes whenever they happened to have them lying around....

I noticed that DS was conspicuously absent from the new coupon I got from MPI yesterday. While I appreciate the coupons, they obviously don't know what MY major interest in the co. is.

Anybody hear anything definite about what's going to be on the new tape? It would be nice if they included some unusual Grayson item for us diehards out here. If it is just scenes from the latest Festival intercut with the usual montages from the series, I think I will skip it (though the fact that the Festival was at the WTC Marriott certainly will give a poignant flavor to any footage filmed there).

Steve

Offline Stuart

• Full Poster
  • Can you smell chips?
    • View Profile
    • Dark Shadows Journal Online
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2002, 05:30:55 PM »
Originally posted by Stuart Manning on February 27, 2002 at 11:30:55:
In Reply to: Re: Dark Shadows Memories Video and DVD posted by Steve on February 27, 2002 at 08:38:46:

Don't take this as gospel, but I'm pretty sure this release is going to incorporate some of the material from the abandoned "Sciography" documentary, and there's some new original series outtakes that have recently come to light, so they may feature too.

Cheers

Stuart
http://darkshadowsnews.blogspot.com | The Dark Shadows News Page
http://www.collinwood.net | Visit the Dark Shadows Journal Online

Offline joe integlia

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
    • joes gallery of DS photos
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2002, 06:08:33 PM »
Originally posted by joe integlia on February 27, 2002 at 12:08:33:
In Reply to: Dark Shadows Memories Video and DVD posted by Richard Holt on February 26, 2002 at 14:18:17:

this is typical of many ds books/videos etc. i never order anything ahead of time. i wait till i know for a fact that it exist first.

Offline Dean

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2002, 08:08:57 PM »
Originally posted by Dean on February 27, 2002 at 14:08:57:
In Reply to: Re: Dark Shadows Memories Video and DVD posted by Stuart Manning on February 27, 2002 at 11:30:55:

I spoke with Jim Pierson a few weeks ago and he indicated that the DS Memories VHS & DVD will not come out until right around the time of this summers DS Festival. Probably will premiere at the festival and then be available from MPI thereafter.

Dean
"We are ignorant of the beyond because this ignorance is the condition of our own life.  Just as ice cannot know fire except by melting and vanishing." - Jules Renard

Offline Raholt

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2002, 08:38:43 PM »
Originally posted by Richard Holt on February 27, 2002 at 14:38:43:
In Reply to: Re: Dark Shadows Memories Video and DVD posted by Dean on February 27, 2002 at 14:08:57:

Well, in that case MPI should never have had it listed on their website with a pre-order date of Feb 6th and a release date of Feb 26th. Not only are those dates used by individuals interested in buying the tape from MPI or other sources, but by retail outlets, such as Amazon and others who intend to carry the video. Based on what MPI is telling them, by accepting pre-orders, they believe it will be available for sale by the street date given. They in turn offer it to their customers on a pre- order bases. If the delay is only a few weeks or so, where a new date can be given, then it doesn't hurt business for the product that badly, but a delay like you are talking about, after getting everything to the point it was at....where store and customer think it is about to be released really does hurt business and interest in the product. The trust factor is gone. The customer doesn't trust that the product will be coming the next time a date is given and neither do the retailers. Not only is it embarrassing to the retailer because it makes it look like they are offering something that was never going be available but like they don't know their business. It also makes them leary of carrying any product by that manufactorer. They have lost sells and potential revenue and why gamble on dealing with an undependable company, when most others are quite dependable and you can definitely bank on what they say and the dates they give. This kind of business practice causes fewer and fewer outlets to want to risk carrying their products and considering that MPI is planning (being the operative word here) to release the DVD editons of the episodes in the near future, this latest situation doesn't give retailer or customer either one, much reason to depend on seeing those DVDs as scheduled either.

A delay that far in the future, after carrying it as far as they did with this one, is either poor planning or poor management by whoever produces the video or by MPI. There is just no excuse for a delay like that and even less of an excuse for it being a constant habit. I had forgotten how little you can depend on what said about the DS material, especially new video releases.

Raholt

Offline Brian

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2002, 11:42:13 PM »
Originally posted by Brian on February 27, 2002 at 17:42:13:
In Reply to: Re: Dark Shadows Memories Video and DVD posted by RIchard Holt on February 27, 2002 at 14:38:43:

I agree with Raholt about the trust factor. Fortunately, I did not pre-order through Amazon--I would have been mad as hell if I had pre-ordered and then have this delay happen.

As far as future DVDs of DS, unless the video and audio of the series episodes are remastered to "broadcast" quality standards as high as the Pioneer Video releases of the 1963 JUDY GARLAND SHOW (also originally videotaped "live"), then I'll content myself by completing my already sizeable collection MPI DS VHS tapes, and then burn them to DVD (for personal use, of course) in a year or two when DVD burners are available in prices for those of us who aren't millionaires (maybe by then I'll be able to remaster them on my own computer, as well).

Brian

Offline Stuart

• Full Poster
  • Can you smell chips?
    • View Profile
    • Dark Shadows Journal Online
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2002, 01:08:01 PM »
Posted by Stuart on February 28, 2002 at 07:08:01:
In Reply to: Re: Dark Shadows Memories Video and DVD posted by Brian on February 27, 2002 at 17:42:13:

Brian, all the new DVD range will be pressed from newly remastered source materials, rather than the existing home video masters.

Cheers

Stuart

* Visit the Dark Shadows Journal Online
http://darkshadowsnews.blogspot.com | The Dark Shadows News Page
http://www.collinwood.net | Visit the Dark Shadows Journal Online

Offline Brian

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2002, 06:10:25 AM »
Thanks, Stuart, guess I'll have to buy the DVDs after all. . . at least the first batch and then decide whether or not to continue.  (Darn it. . .it's just like replacing all those old LPs with CDs. . .here we go again.) ;)