Author Topic: At the risk of sounding BA-NAHHLLL  (Read 1368 times)

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
At the risk of sounding BA-NAHHLLL
« on: May 27, 2003, 09:31:33 PM »
Well, I had the show on this a.m., beeswing-eyed after my delirious, rained-out weekend in the Vermont mountains (thank the Gods Maria von Trapp did not appear over the hills coloraturing about the Sound of Music, for if she had done, I would have had to brain her with my earthenware phallus, the one with the purple mardi-gras bead choker).  Who should come waltzing in but Nicholas Blair, paying upon a visit upon his dear, OLD, down-on-her-luck-again, OLD buddy, Mrs. Angelique Rumson.  PRICELESS!  see, stuff like this is what always makes me think the Leviathans was the best period in the show's history--certainly the best of all the present-time arcs.  Scenes like this are incredibly rich because of how well writers and actors were able to make use of two years or more of existing subtext.

I do love the use Angelique makes of her little keepsake from Boston.  (Makes note to self--DON'T order any cute little tchotchkes from the Franklin Mint as a hostess gift for Mrs. Rumson's next kaffeeklatsch on Little Windward Island.)

Did anybody else notice that Sky's "burning poker" got a LOT bigger in episode 2 than it had been in episode one.  Hmmm, somehow I always had the feeling that Sky's poker got bigger the longer he gripped it.  Gripped it firmly and with emotion.  Hey, Sky, can I hold that poker for you?  Need me to help you out with that, dude?  Hmmmmmm....

Also glimpsed Camera 2 in the mirror when Sky and Ang were kissing in episode 1.  Not really a very serious blooper since you would hardly have noticed it unless you'd watched the episode several times, as I have done.

Another favorite moment of mine (and, I believe, the MB's as well) is coming up, when Julia finds out about Barn's latest "talk" with Megan.  Can't wait!

Gothick

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Re:At the risk of sounding BA-NAHHLLL
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2003, 12:33:16 AM »
Who should come waltzing in but Nicholas Blair, paying upon a visit upon his dear, OLD, down-on-her-luck-again, OLD buddy, Mrs. Angelique Rumson.  PRICELESS!  see, stuff like this is what always makes me think the Leviathans was the best period in the show's history--certainly the best of all the present-time arcs.  Scenes like this are incredibly rich because of how well writers and actors were able to make use of two years or more of existing subtext.

I love that scene (probabaly as much as you do [wink2]), but can it make me forget about or forgive some of the erstwhile lunatic plotting in this story? Not on your life! :-  But it IS a very welcomed, not to mention brilliantly written and performed moment amongst the debris that is so many others...

Another favorite moment of mine (and, I believe, the MB's as well) is coming up, when Julia finds out about Barn's latest "talk" with Megan.  Can't wait!

You remember correctly. ;) And I can't wait for it too!

Offline Cassandra Blair

• Full Poster
  • Hey sailor, how 'bout I light your Lucky?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2003, 02:06:30 PM »
Who should come waltzing in but Nicholas Blair, paying upon a visit upon his dear, OLD, down-on-her-luck-again, OLD buddy, Mrs. Angelique Rumson.  PRICELESS!  see, stuff like this is what always makes me think the Leviathans was the best period in the show's history--certainly the best of all the present-time arcs.  Scenes like this are incredibly rich because of how well writers and actors were able to make use of two years or more of existing subtext.

LOL!!! [laugh]  After having watched the ep last night, I totally agree, Gothick - it was just a priceless scene between these two!  Certainly has been a highlight moment of the Leviathans which I think I'm actually enjoying a bit more the second time around.

And I noticed something later on in the second ep, there was a scene with Quentin and Angelique wherein she said "We're both a lot older since the last time we met," or something like that.  Got me to wondering.  Do you suppose this means she's been living in real time ever since we last saw her in 1897, as Quentin has done?

Cassandra Blair

P.S.  You're right, Sky's poker DID get much bigger the second time we saw it.  Maybe he had some 'help' with it from an all-too-willing stagehand!!    ::) ::)
My lady abandoned heaven, abandoned earth...to Ray's Wig World she descended.

Offline ROBINV

• ** Robservationist **
  • Senior Poster
  • The Write Stuff
    • View Profile
    • Personal site of Robin Vogel
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2003, 07:42:11 PM »
Cassandra Blair said:

P.S.  You're right, Sky's poker DID get much bigger the seccond time we saw it.  Maybe he had some 'help' with it from an all-too-willing stagehand!! 

Remember. it's not the sizr, but how you use it!

(Come on, someone had to say it!)

Love, Robin

ClaudeNorth

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2003, 09:49:14 PM »
Gothick!

How nice to read something positive about the Leviathan era.  I've always been surprised by the negative reaction that it gets from fans.  I remember bracing myself for the worst when I first saw these episodes, and being pleasantly surprised to discover that they were actually a lot of fun.

Great observation regarding Schuyler Rumson.  I've always felt that Geoffrey Scott, while not a very good actor, was arguably the most classically handsome of all the DS actors.  I suspect that he was a model before he started acting.

I don't know if this episode aired yet, but I seem to recall one in which G. Scott wore the silliest facial expression (an eye roll and a giddy smirk, IIRC  ::) ) as he exited a scene.  Of course, I tend to analyze every frame of every episode, looking for such unscripted moments, so I would not be surprised if no one else noticed this.

Another DS actor who would have been welcome during 1840...  ;)

Regards,

John

Offline Anubis

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Junior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2003, 05:05:23 AM »
Cassandra Blair wrote:
And I noticed something later on in the second ep, there was a scene with Quentin and Angelique wherein she said "We're both a lot older since the last time we met," or something like that.  Got me to wondering.  Do you suppose this means she's been living in real time ever since we last saw her in 1897, as Quentin has done?

I was thinking the same thing.  I think so since it's only been about three months since Barnabas left 1897 and she mentioned she saw the statue that Sky bought her four months ago.  Also, she had been working as a model when she met Sky.  I don't think she could have accomplished all that in such a short period of time.

IluvBarnabas

Re: At the risk of sounding BA-NAHHLLL
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2009, 05:43:36 PM »
I've always felt that Geoffrey Scott, while not a very good actor, was arguably the most classically handsome of all the DS actors.  I suspect that he was a model before he started acting.

Another DS actor who would have been welcome during 1840...  ;)

To be honest, I don't think Geoffrey Scott was even good-looking. He's not up there with David Selby or John Karlen in sex appeal. I don't even think he's up there as far as being handsome as Jonathan Frid is. And frankly I am just as glad we never got to see Scott in another role in 1840 or any other storyline following the Leviathans. Just my opinion of course.