Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0339  (Read 1843 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #0339
« on: November 09, 2012, 05:11:33 PM »
Robservations - #339

And if you'd care to look back, the first WP discussion topic for this ep:
Re: Discuss - Ep #0339

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2012, 08:51:53 PM »
Julia tells Barnabas that she had to tell Dave Woodard that she was treating him (B.). As proof that she handled Dave well, she also says (though she can't bring herself to look at Barnabas), To keep him off the scent I even told him that my interest in you was more than simply medical. How absurd, Barnabas exclaims with a laugh, while Julia does her best to hide her pain.

So I guess now we know for sure that Julia has fallen for Barnabas--hard.

Dave Woodard goes to Collinwood on the pretext of seeing David and giving him--what else?--a sedative. But why and where did he waste his first half hour in the house? Did he really give David a sedative after all?. In his search, he knocks something over. (As he opens dresser drawers and the wardrobe, we can see many of Grayson Hall’s Julia Hoffman outfits!) Out in the hallway, Mrs. Johnson is dusting (yes, in the middle of the night) a buffet on which rests [spoiler]the casket that a long time from now will contain the hand of Count Petofi.[/spoiler]

Dave finds the strongbox on top of a tall wardrobe and breaks the lock. A red leather "Dear Diary"-type journal is inside--and conveniently for Dave, so is the key. One quick look at the contents of the journal is enough to convince him to put the book in his raincoat pocket. The diary is not completely concealed. Why doesn’t he hide it in the medical bag he’s brought with him? He pulls the pocket flap down but it doesn't stay down. Later, in the foyer, when he meets Barnabas and Julia, the incriminating pocket is out of our view, but the others would have been able to see the red diary sticking out.

Barnabas and Julia are finally alone in her bedroom. But as we know, unfortunately, no one ever has sex on this show, even when they're alone together in a bedroom.[spoiler] [Bramwell and Catherine weren't even a gleam in any writer's eye at this point.][/spoiler] But that's beside the point, because Julia's strongbox is empty….

Offline dom

• Long Lost Cousin Returned
  • Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2012, 09:43:08 PM »
On my MPI vhs tape the Dark Shadows main title theme & Joan Bennett’s opening voiceover sound distorted. I checked the DS music library Cds for a possible alternate version of the DS theme to match what I am hearing but had no luck, so it must be a tech issue – maybe due to the strike, lol.

I’ve been thinking heavily about Mrs. Johnson for the last 24 hours and she suddenly pops up in this episode. I keep making myself laugh with thoughts of how Mrs. J. would handle the news of having to ready the west wing for human habitation.

For once, Julia doesn’t sugarcoat her panic. Barnabas wants Julia’s notes destroyed and they go to Collinwood to retrieve them. Neither Grayson nor Frid were fully prepared for this scene and it shows. I would guess that they are working with rewrites, as they both stumble and use the teleprompter quite bit.

Over the course of the episode, Woodard sneaks into Julia’s room and steals the notebook. We get to see Julia’s bedroom. This is my first recent good look at it. I don’t remember it from my original viewing. Her bed would give me nightmares. It’s reminiscent of a piece of equipment from Frankenstein’s laboratory as I imagine an electric current rising between the helical bedposts. There doesn’t appear to be a window but they don’t show a fourth wall. It also looks like the drawing room desk chair is in there but I could be totally wrong about that, though I know I’ve seen that chair before in all it’s rococo glory. And I like the tri-portrait on the wall. I know I’ve seen that before too but it may be from an old forgotten memory of this episode. The room lacks the warmth of most of the other room sets we generally see, it has that hastily thrown together look in my opinion. But, still a fun viewing experience for me. And to be silly -- How dare Dr. Woodard stand on an antique chair and have the audacity to not wipe off his shoe prints.

An obstinate Liz & an exasperated Roger argue over her offering of the west wing to Burke & Vicki. Liz wins as per usual but not without being first subjected to Roger’s typical grandiose objections. I always enjoy a good Liz & Roger brawl, lol. I’ll take a “best of” DVD/Video of "Liz & Roger Arguments" over any other DS compilation you could offer me, any day!

Sidetracked by Roger, who is hoping to secure an ally in Barnabas by asking his thoughts on Liz’s latest offer to the future Mr. & Mrs. Devlin, Barn & Jules are delayed long enough to let Dr. Woodard find and whisk his prize out of Collinwood, leaving Julia & Barn to discover that her notebook’s been stolen. (Do I get the prize for the longest run-on sentence in DS Boards history?) Fade to Black. Grayson’s fiddling with the strongbox and finding that the lock has been jimmied might have worked better in a long shot than a close-up. It’s obvious that they will suspect Woodard as the thief. His minutes must surely be numbered.

There is some very sloppy camera work and delayed music cues in this episode. Perhaps due to the fill-in crew due to the strike (Yes, I am going to blame all technical difficulties on the strike now, lol)

I always enjoy experiencing Mrs. Johnson. I didn’t know she wore lipstick. Her smock/apron is lovely, lol. There’s not much for her to do but answer doors and dusting. She’s still saying in five sentences what should be said in one. (No wonder I adore her, lol.) But how can you answer a question and slyly pass judgment on others in just one sentence?

Barn pretty much laughs in Julia’s face at the suggestion that Woodard bought her explanation of them as being romantically involved. It’s a little tough to watch thanx to Grayson and no thanks to Frid who screwed up the poignancy of the scene by forgetting his lines.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2012, 10:05:36 PM »
I guess that Julia's falling for Barnabas was needed to explain why she hung around and helped in all those later years.   Did they have to have it happen at this point though, when Barnabas is a strangling conscience-less maniac?   It seems impossible and shoehorned-in, as if they stopped for a moment and remembered "This is a soap opera", and dropped a random surprise unrequited romance into things.

Julia's attraction to a killer, who threatens her every day, is awfully twisted and self-destructive.   She must have a death wish.   Maybe she associates love with brutality because some earlier figure in her life claimed to love her while threatening her.   Anyway, it's not the kind of thing I'd expect to last through the "nicening" of both characters.  The attraction becomes something more straightforward and healthy in later years, though.   I wouldn't think that the masochistic attraction could become the better kind we see later.

It always gets me, how everybody seems to think a small, light, very portable "strongbox" (a little metal box with a little metal lock on it) might actually repel theives.

Good remarks, dom...
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2012, 01:47:39 AM »
I think that many women, Julia is hoping she can change Barnabas--not just by freeing him from the curse but also by bringing out whatever in him is still human. And she's all too human herself in her capacity for self-delusion.

And of course, this is a soap opera.

Offline dom

• Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2012, 06:25:37 PM »
Julia tells Barnabas that she had to tell Dave Woodard that she was treating him (B.).
On one hand, I thought to myself, that's a brilliant excuse, and it's the truth really, but on the other, it doesn't really fit into the flow of things. Woodard was past the point of excuses when yesterday's ep ended. So I am wondering if that bit referred to a tossed scene and was just left in today's dialogue or maybe a last minute rewrite-- considering the difficulty they had with their lines and the inordinate amount of looks toward the telepromter.

So I guess now we know for sure that Julia has fallen for Barnabas--hard.
Anyone think this is a revelation for Julia? I feel like her having to actually say it "out loud" to Woodard and now Barn, she's awakened something inside herself that she didn't realize was there, and shrugged off as silly when Woodard first brought it up to her several episodes ago. I was going to challenge the notion that she's "fallen hard", but I realized that I was thinking more about how long she's felt this way, as opposed to what degree she's feeling it.

Dave Woodard goes to Collinwood on the pretext of seeing David and giving him--what else?--a sedative. But why and where did he waste his first half hour in the house? Did he really give David a sedative after all?.
I was thinking about this too. I kept thinking that David would reveal that the Doc never saw him if he infact hadn't. I decided for myself that he must have visited David first and then gone off to search Julia's room for the notes. I can't see the character drugging a child but what a perfect solution for keeping the kid quiet for an half hour.

I guess that Julia's falling for Barnabas was needed to explain why she hung around and helped in all those later years. Did they have to have it happen at this point though, when Barnabas is a strangling conscience-less maniac?   It seems impossible and shoehorned-in, as if they stopped for a moment and remembered "This is a soap opera", and dropped a random surprise unrequited romance into things.
These are (in part) the issues that led me to wonder if this "love" (that dare not speak it's name, lol) is a revelation to Julia. I can't imagine a long slow process of falling for Barn under the circumstances.

Julia's attraction to a killer, who threatens her every day, is awfully twisted and self-destructive.   She must have a death wish. Maybe she associates love with brutality because some earlier figure in her life claimed to love her while threatening her.   Anyway, it's not the kind of thing I'd expect to last through the "nicening" of both characters. The attraction becomes something more straightforward and healthy in later years, though. I wouldn't think that the masochistic attraction could become the better kind we see later.
A variant of Stockholm syndrome, perhaps?

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2012, 07:59:08 PM »
Yes, it does seem like Stockholm Syndrome!

For what it's worth, when the supposed attraction for Barnabas is first brought up by Woodard, it seems to me that it wasn't meant at all to be a genuine thing.  I completely buy it when Julia brushes it aside.   Maybe the writers had no intention of making it real then, and maybe (fictionally) it hadn't started yet.   On the other hand, I always picture pre-DS Julia as having a vampire fixation, which was waiting for some object to attach it to.  But then that may be a matter of an idea coming up in DS jokes so often, that in the back of my head it's almost canon by now... like Eliot's cheese fetish...
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2012, 05:51:31 PM »
I think Julia's attraction to Barnabas started when she eavesdropped on him and Vicki talking by the fountain. They both leave, and the last shot in the scene shows us Julia's shocked expression. Maybe it's just my overactive imagination, but I've always thought that was the moment when Julia realized that Barnabas was more to her than a scientific experiment.

Offline alwaysdavid

• Senior Poster
  • My journey is beginning,
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2012, 10:05:48 PM »
Barnabas declares it is preposterous that Julia could be romantically interested and of course it is revealed she is by her actions. It always seemed a bit strange that Julia who was working on curing Barnabas, was so invested in keeping Vickie away.
The drawing room chair is in Julia's room. It was originally in Vickie's. Maybe just to explain it and to not picture Mrs. Johnson heaving and sighing as she moves furniture from room o room and floor to floor that there is a set.  Julia's room is the one next to Vickie's and across from David which I had never noticed before.
I find it interesting  Julia has a schoolgirl crush on Barnabas and keeps her notes in a red diary a girl would use.

you know there's a whole wing that's closed off all the time; the west wing, I go there lots of times

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2012, 11:06:08 PM »
I find it interesting Julia has a schoolgirl crush on Barnabas and keeps her notes in a red diary a girl would use.

I think she really doesn't want Barnabas to have it because it's filled with nothing but "Mrs. Julia Collins" written a million different ways...

Offline dom

• Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2012, 02:11:46 AM »
LOL, M! Too funny.

Just think about how many young female fans were probably doing just that back in the day.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2012, 02:17:00 AM »
Why thanks dom...

Offline Roland

• Full Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2015, 05:55:28 AM »
I'm a bit surprised to see Roger being so vehement in his attitude towards Burke again. If memory serves, didn't that story line end with Roger admitting he'd committed perjury, essentially sentencing an innocent man - Burke - to years in prison? And wasn't Burke ultra-magnanimous in his response, not only forgiving Roger but choosing not to press charges against him? 

It seems rather petty - not to say ungrateful - of Roger to now be acting so high-and-mighty towards Burke at this point.  Allowing Burke to live in the west wing seems the least he could do to make up for pretty much ruining the better part of Burke's life.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2015, 07:02:11 AM »
But it shows that original cad Roger still lives, within that proper exterior...