Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0338  (Read 901 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #0338
« on: November 08, 2012, 05:20:46 PM »
Robservations - #338

And if you'd care to look back, the first WP discussion topic for this ep:
Re: Discuss - Ep #0338

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2012, 11:12:49 PM »
Julia insists that Dave Woodard doesn' know what Barnabas is. Barnabas retorts, Stop thinking like a woman and start thinking like a doctor! This is the same vampire who a short time ago told her, If the modern man is willing to tolerate your kind of woman, that's his problem, but I will have none of it. His words will prove ironic before this conversation is over.

Barnabas gripes that he had to deny knowing who Sarah is. He tells Julia, I felt myself turning pale, and I forced the blood back into my cheeks so he wouldn’t know how close I was to panic. Julia’s experiment must be working, or he wouldn’t be able to do that.

But unknown to either of them, Dave Woodard has stationed himself outside the window. Still listening  and thoroughly shocked despite his astute guesses, Woodard has now heard everything he needs to know.

Barnabas insists Julia herself has to find out how much Dave knows. He tells her, You said earlier that Dave Woodard was the most brilliant student in your class at medical school. Your were being generous. Actually, I think he was the _second_ most brilliant student. Flattered in spite of herself, Julia turns away to hide her smile as she comments, They didn’t take me as seriously as they should have--because I’m a woman. Addressing her thus for the first time, but with utter insincerity, Barnabas comments, My dear, that can be a mixed blessing--can’t it? She smiles uncertainly. But poor Julia hasn’t yet learned the full extent of Barnabas’s mistrust of her, nor can she know the high price she will pay for his flattery.

Vicki tries to persuade Burke that living in the West Wing will solve all their problems, but he's not buying. "Once you become MRS. BURKE DEVLIN (!)," he says, "I won't want to share you with anyone." Gah.

Later, Julia is torn between her fear for her friend and her loyalty to Barnabas. Trying to save Woodard, she humiliates herself by saying that she is emotionally involved with Barnabas and that he is involved with her. She begs Dave to stop his investigation--before it's too late!

Offline dom

• Long Lost Cousin Returned
  • Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2012, 01:16:29 AM »
A.M. voiceovers are always music to my ears. This one actually intimates that Woodard will be dead by sunrise. DarkLady, you are right, the last portion of last episode’s closing scene went off without a hitch as this episode’s opener.

Barn interjects the idea of medical “notes” into his conversation with Julia. Is this the first mention of said notes? These evolve into Julia's red diary, no? Julia reveals their location to Barn (and an eavesdropping Woodard) and I'm guessing Woodard is going to eventually read them. I mean, why else would he end up dead but for knowing the ultimate truths about Barnabas and Julia.

Barnabas gripes that he had to deny knowing who Sarah is. He tells Julia, I felt myself turning pale, and I forced the blood back into my cheeks so he wouldn’t know how close I was to panic. Julia’s experiment must be working, or he wouldn’t be able to do that.

I watched this ep at least four times and I missed that. I think my ears fall deaf when Sarah is mentioned.

Julia turns away to hide her smile as she comments, They didn’t take me as seriously as they should have--because I’m a woman. Addressing her thus for the first time, but with utter insincerity, Barnabas comments, My dear, that can be a mixed blessing--can’t it? She smiles uncertainly.

It’s these smiles I am most fascinated with. I ask: How telling are they? Is Julia experiencing some kind of revelation? Is it professional or feminine ego getting the best of her? Perhaps both? Hearing/seeing Barn say “My dear” to Julia really jolts me. I understand it for what it is but it is so unusual to hear it coming from his lips as spoken to her that I can’t help but be affected by it.

Vicki looks beautiful in pink (?) and Liz is still rockin’ electric blue (?). Both ladies are wearing matching hair-bows. I love that look as it is so feminine. I wonder who decides wardrobe? I wonder if both ladies are wearing bows because it is supposed to subtly suggest they are related because they have the same taste. Anyone think the writers are still playing up the mother/daughter angle?

Burke is back early from his business trip and mentions that he will soon be departing again, this time for South America, on business. (SOUTH AMERICA! – bom!, Bom!! BOM!!! My heart stopped.) He suggests a quickie marriage but Vicki shoots him down once again in favor of David’s wellbeing. After eavesdropping, Liz enters and offers them the west wing of Collinwood to live in so they can marry and have a home until a home of their choosing is available. (How fabulous would that have been for future storylines? New sets, new characters, a spinoff! lol)

Vicki tries to persuade Burke that living in the West Wing will solve all their problems, but he's not buying.

I’m with Burke on this. It was a cute scene and somewhat poignant knowing what the future holds. As a matter of fact, Burke says something very prophetic; “Call it instinct, or a fear, that all of the terrible things that have happened to the Collins family might happen to us.” Knowing their ultimate individual fates, this statement really struck a chord. Starting with episode 1, the Burke Devlin character has had several prophetic lines.

Later, Julia is torn between her fear for her friend and her loyalty to Barnabas. Trying to save Woodard, she humiliates herself by saying that she is emotionally involved with Barnabas and that he is involved with her.

Re: Julia stating that she is emotionally involved with Barn: Anyone think this is pure acting on Julia’s part, or do you think somewhere deep inside her, she really means it? The look on her face as she says it would suggest the latter. But she also appears wistful when she states that Barn feels the same way. That would have to be acting, unless it is wishful thinking or perhaps, fantasy. Any thoughts?

With all Woodard knows he is way past the point of cajoling. He presents Julia with a list of purchased medical goods and suggests she has more than an emotional interest in Barnabas. LOL - Crunch!

She begs Dave to stop his investigation--before it's too late!

The writers certainly give us reasons to not totally hate Julia Hoffman. She is really trying to keep Woodard alive. But we know Woodard is way past the point of no return.

A.M. Does the closing credits production call. This still strikes me as odd.

Offline alwaysdavid

• Senior Poster
  • My journey is beginning,
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2012, 01:21:21 AM »
Another red flag to Vickie over the possesive nature of Burke.  He is the poster child for abusive husband. Are his secret trips to a compound where he has a harem of women in caprivity? They get the West wing as an offer of a home.  This Burke is so far removed from the one who wanted to live a Collinwood in the beginning.
Julia suddenly reveals that she has notes that she keeps in her room, but not at the lab where she works which would seem safer and make more sense. 

Maybe the announcer is out on stike so the actors are saying the end credit.
you know there's a whole wing that's closed off all the time; the west wing, I go there lots of times

Offline dom

• Long Lost Cousin Returned
  • Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2012, 01:30:54 AM »
Maybe the announcer is out on stike so the actors are saying the end credit.

Thanx for addressing that, AD. I would have never thought of that. I wouldn't be surprised if that were the reason. It makes total sense. I think Frid's letter stated that it was a technician's strike or something similar. Good deduction - I'm satisfied. Now I can stop harping about it.  ;)

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2012, 02:14:58 AM »
How seldom it is that we get a good, conclusive answer to these things... this one works.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor