Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0336  (Read 1349 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #0336
« on: November 06, 2012, 12:08:16 AM »
Robservations - #336

And if you'd care to look back, the first WP discussion topic for this ep:
Re: Discuss - Ep #0336

Offline dom

• Long Lost Cousin Returned
  • Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2012, 12:57:26 AM »
Alexandra does the opening voiceover.

The color VHS print I am watching of this episode is absolutely horrible. Is the DVD as bad?

Sarah reveals the mausoleum’s secret room to Woodard and he pretty much figures everything out – without her help – as he may as well have been talking to himself, lol. There was the typical forgetting, stumbling, feeding and recovery of lines one has come to expect of a Sharon Smyth performance. It was a good scene for content; there’s not much else to say other than I wish I could have seen Gerringer perform this scene.

Vicki uses the loss of Seaview as a “sign” that her wedding to Burke should be put on hold. And Burke concedes that David’s situation needs her undivided attention and then leaves town and lets her do just that. Burke sees the writing on the wall despite Vicki’s assurances to the contrary. And we get our “wink to the audience” via the fade-to-black on the portrait of Barnabas. Aside from the closure of the Seaview storyline, their relationship does seem to be losing steam and airtime.

Burke Devlin’s being out of town leaves Woodard extremely vulnerable to his newly attained knowledge. Why Vicki doesn’t know where Burke is, or how to get in touch with him is stupefying to me. I appreciate Woodard not filling Vicki in on his latest findings for her own protection.

I found Julia’s lack of sensitivity towards David’s plight and her overconfidence of Barnabas’ “feelings” a little off-putting and so did Vicki. When the characters don’t act as expected I always wonder just what the writers are going for?

I would think that Woodard would all ready be suspicious of Julia but he greets her in the library without pause. He tells her about his contact with Sarah in the mausoleum and of course Julia tries to steer him away from the truth, but Woodard isn’t budging. I wonder what Julia would have done if Woodard had told her that he was in the secret room and saw the coffin therein? As a matter of fact, I wonder why he didn’t tell her?

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2012, 01:14:34 AM »
Very, very nice scene where Sarah appears to Dr. Woodard. Without actually telling him anything, she makes it possible for him to figure out almost everything.

When Julia argues with Woodard in the library, she scoffs, Look at us, two doctors arguing about a ghost!

However, Woodard is determined to find out why Sarah has come back….

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2012, 03:14:43 AM »
Isn't this the point where we start screaming things at the screen, such as:  "Protect yourself!  Get some backup!!  At least eat some pasta with a lots of garlic in the sauce!!   But no, you have to keep blundering in on your own!!"...?
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline dom

• Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2012, 05:53:12 AM »
Alexandra does the closing credits production call. I wonder how long this is going to go on? And I wonder why it is going on?

I'm watching the next episode now, Magnus, and yeah, lol, you are right.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2012, 07:14:31 PM »
The color VHS print I am watching of this episode is absolutely horrible. Is the DVD as bad?

I just checked, and while the color on the DVD is infinitely better than what the color is like in the syndication copy, it's not much better than what's on the VHS. There are strange highlights and red or green outlines from time to time. Chances are something weird happened on the day they shot the ep. But as bad as it is, it isn't as bad as the problems with one of the cameras when it comes to some of the late-'68 eps when the picture often has an odd blue tint to it.

What I actually found odder than the color on the DVD is that after this ep they include the 1795 promo -

despite the fact that the promo clearly says that "This Friday you and Victoria Winters...", whereas the beginning of 1795 was not coming so early. This Ep #336 originally ran on October 9, 1967, and the Friday ep the promo refers to is Ep #365, which didn't originally run until November 17, 1967 - more than a month away.  [confused5]

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2012, 08:07:46 PM »
Thanks for the screen shots, MB! AM looks a little bit like Gene Tierney in Leave Her to Heaven--scary!

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2012, 08:27:04 PM »
I never noticed that before but she does, DarkLady.

Getting back to the 1795 promo, what's even odder than it appearing after Ep #336 is that it doesn't seem to appear at all on the DVD during the week's eps where it was originally run. But then ours is not to question the person who compiled the DVDs, now is it?  [hall2_wink]

Offline dom

• Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2012, 08:32:44 PM »
Thanx for the captures, MB. You bring me such DS joy on such a consistent basis. <visualize hailing emoticon here> I've seen this promo somewhere; I wonder where? Maybe at a festival. Maybe on an MPI specialty tape. I remember feeling extremely grateful that it was still available and I was very excited that I got to see it after all those years. Being able to see DS from beginning to end was an impossible dream that came true. And who could have dreamed that one day we'd be able to actually own our own favorite TV shows and movies. No complaints here about being born too early or too late.

The worst of the color print I referred to was that is was very blurry, and as for the actual color, it is very "washed out". Thanks for chiming in on that, MB. Ever since Gothick stated that some color prints had been found to replace the B&W's I have been very curious as to just how "upgraded" the DVDs are. I've been quite critical of MPI in the past so I'd be more than happy to change my overall opinion.

Offline alwaysdavid

• Senior Poster
  • My journey is beginning,
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2012, 01:03:35 AM »
Sharon knows her lines even less than normal. Sarah must know enough that she should not show the Doctor the secret room but she does. Vickie decides because of David she must not rush into marriage. I would think that the fact you know virtually nothing about your intended groom might be a good reason. Woodard reveals to Julia that Sarah is a ghost. Now Julia originally went on about the supernatural when she first came so she should say she suspected this all along.
you know there's a whole wing that's closed off all the time; the west wing, I go there lots of times

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2012, 09:04:36 PM »
Thanx for the captures, MB. ... I've seen this promo somewhere; I wonder where? Maybe at a festival. Maybe on an MPI specialty tape. I remember feeling extremely grateful that it was still available and I was very excited that I got to see it after all those years.

While looking for something entirely different, I just came across it as part of MPI's DS 25th Anniversary Special on DVD Collection 26. You may have seen it there, on the VHS version, at the Fest, or even all three.  [hall2_wink]  Though what's nice about the version on DS Collection 4 is that the beginning and end aren't overlapped with other things.

Offline Joeytrom

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2012, 09:23:35 PM »
That 1795 promo appears in the right place on the VHS tape.

I wonder why they never replaced the announcer after the strike ended.

Offline dom

• Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2012, 12:51:39 AM »
That 1795 promo appears in the right place on the VHS tape.

That explains everything.

I wonder why they never replaced the announcer after the strike ended.

My guess would be money. Doesn't it always come down to money, lol. I wonder if that means they also stopped the "DS is brought to you by" type announcements?

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2012, 01:05:06 AM »
Yes!  I remember that 1795 promo appearing on the correct place in the tapes. It's too bad they goofed with the DVDs but this was the period (for the discs) when MPI wasn't apparently doing anything (or much of anything) around quality control in terms of the company authoring the discs--and a lot of bloopers were "cleaned up" and edited out, to the dismay of fans.

G.