Author Topic: ShadowGram Update #272 -- 2013 DS Cruise  (Read 4323 times)

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Re: ShadowGram Update #272 -- 2013 DS Cruise
« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2012, 10:03:58 PM »
It does seem pricey, that I'll admit.  But as a cruise fanatic, let me break the cost down, comparing the probably-once-ever DS festival event, as opposed to the typical weekend one.

If one books, with a travel companion, an inside stateroom, the fare comes to (rounding it off) $800.  That's for an eight-day/seven-night cruise, so that comes to about $100 a day/night.  What do you get for that?  You get:
-your room;
-transportation;
-all food (24 hours a day, including free room service);
-all non-soda/non-alcoholic beverages;
-festival attendance;
-a beautiful, exotic location with lots to see and do either for free or low cost with a lot of time to do it.

To stay at a three-day/two-night DS Fest hotel, one pays at least $100 a day/night.  What do you get for that?  You get:
-your room.

You pay extra for:
-all food (overpriced and not of the best quality according to many who have testified to the stuff the hotel restaurants/caterers provide);
-all beverages;
-festival attendance;
-being stuck in a local neighborhood with little time or ability to see anything, or - worst yet - being stuck in an airport-based hotel where the only thing is see and experience are the interstates.

Add everything together and dollar-for-dollar, the cruise is cheaper with much more to offer.  Plus, people have been given a year's advance notice, allowing time to book the downpayment, save the pennies, and schedule vacation time.  (Oh, and don't forget getting a passport - you need a passport, so if planning on going, get it now.)

I wish I could go.  I love DS, I love being on a cruise ship, and I love Bermuda.  Fortunately, I was once able to do all three at the same time (as I mentioned before; Robert Rodan [Adam] talked with us for 15 minutes about our Bermuda cruise after he saw our tans).

Seriously think about it, Cousins.  This is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity.  You've got a year to save and plenty of time to put in for your vacation.  How would you rather spend next Halloween, a most appropriate day for a DS Fest?  Answering the doorbell, or spending time with DS stars in grand lounges and elegant dining rooms, and walking among palm trees and pristine beaches?  Once-in-a-lifetime comes only once.  Paying for sludgy food with stoppy service in gouging hotel "cafes" while surrounded by concrete roads and the sounds of screaming jets or in a Brooklyn neighborhood that, albeit nice, offers the same stuff over and over again with no time to do anything else comes every year for one over-priced weekend.  Year after year after year after year after year.....  You can continue to do that, or - once, just once - live and splurge.  And at a more affordable cost, everything put together.

Gerard

Offline The Doctor and K9

• Senior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2012, 10:53:22 PM »
I was thinking along the same lines as Gerard. I am a teacher; there's no way I can take that much time off for a cruise. If it were at a more convenient time, I'd consider it. I would not be happy about the destination. Bermuda is beautiful in the summer. I don't think that you'd see optimal weather in Oct/Nov. Since the island is on the same latitude as NC, the temp will probably be in the 70s and possibly rainy.  But the cost is low. I know people are gasping at the price, but that's really fairly reasonable. Just keep in mind, if you drink alcohol, that's extra and it can be pricey.

Offline Teresa

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 21, 2012, 12:58:44 AM »
I'm sure those who go will have a blast but a cruise just ins't for me.  Much too long for me and I definitely would be drinking wine while there so the cost would add up.  [hall2_rolleyes]  In addition I have two dogs I board when I go to fest so 8-10 days would cost about $700, then airfare from where I live is about $400 plus the cost of a passport would put me quite overboard~!

A great opportunity for those who can afford it and love to sail the seas!
" Some day we'll look back on this and it will all seem funny"

Offline Darren Gross

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 21, 2012, 01:18:03 AM »
Mere pennies in the bucket, but you don't need a passport to fly in the continental US, just a state ID or driver's license...

Offline Uncle Roger

• * 200000, 250000 & 300000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 21, 2012, 01:35:17 AM »
I'm going to pass as well. I suppose it's a good price but it's still beyond my budget. And there are other things that I enjoy doing on Halloween that I don't want to miss.
Fade Away and Radiate

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 21, 2012, 01:47:47 AM »
I am a teacher, too, Doctor/K9, and I was able to take the week off (with time around it) to go on my Berumda cruise and attend the DS Fest afterwards.  It took work, but I was able to do it.  I'm not saying all teachers can do it, but each should look into their time-off policy (there is a year's notice).  I'm glad I was able to do it - it was a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity.  Also, even though Bermuda is on the same parallel as North Carolina, the waters of the Atlantic keep it much warmer.  When I sailed to Bermuda in September, the water was like glass and the air temperature in the Atlantic was in the nineties.  It was unseasonably warm, but far different from what what was experienced of the Hatteras.

Teresa, a passport doesn't cost that much.  Besides, if one doesn't plan on travelling overseas, it's still a good document to have.  It can be used for a variety of reasons that have nothing to do with travelling that the government and even private industries require to prove your citizenship.  Also, as for it being too long, you spend Saturday afternoon through Monday morning (and you'll dock before you wake up) at sea, and not leave until Thursday afternoon.  Plus, there's lots to do on the ship, so much you'll wish you had spent more days at sea.  But boarding two dogs is a concern.  And so is wine!  Although, let me tell you, Teresa, wine is one of the cheapest hootches served on a ship, if one sticks to the "house brand."

You're right, Darren, that a passport isn't absolutely needed for an American port-return-to-port cruise to a foreign country, but without one a person needs lots of other documents, from birth certificates to official government photo ID (both would be required to go to Bermuda).  It's better to just get a passport; more covenient.

Go on the cruise, Cousins.  Go.  I'll nag you all until you're sick of me.

Gerard

Offline Darren Gross

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 21, 2012, 02:15:06 AM »
Duh! You're right, of course!  I was only thinking of the air travel portion...

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 21, 2012, 03:35:49 AM »
Duh! You're right, of course!  I was only thinking of the air travel portion...

Well, considering that airlines now charge excess fees for checked luggage, carried-on luggage, seats, going potty, having a drink of water, breathing, being alive (and being dead), having a cousin three times removed living in North Dakota or Uzbekistan, being born between 1875 and 2020, that does add an extravagant amount.  Just flying to New York would cost much more than spending eight days at sea to and including Bermuda.

Now everyone knows why I would rather spend six days sailing to Europe than six hours flying there.  Ships rule; jets drool.

Gerard

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
ShadowGram Update #275--Cruise schedule; Extended dates for Pennock's play
« Reply #23 on: November 21, 2012, 07:24:24 AM »
SHADOWGRAM OFFICIAL ONLINE DARK SHADOWS NEWS UPDATE # 275

Update Number 275.
November 20, 2012
Hello, Dark Shadows Fan,
ShadowGram (SG), The Official Newsletter & News Source for Dark Shadows (DS) announces the following breaking news in this Official Online News Update "bulletin."

***** CHRIS PENNOCK 'S STAGE PLAY EXTENDED
***** FURTHER INFORMATION -
DARK SHADOWS FESTIVAL PRESENTS
"THE DARK SHADOWS HALLOWEEN CRUISE"
"DS BY OCEAN & ISLAND"

----- CHRIS PENNOCK HAPPILY ANNOUNCES MORE PLAY PERFORMANCES
SG Update # 274 (Nov. 4) reported Chris stars as "Sir" in the touching comedy THE DRESSER. The production run has been extended.
Chris (Jeb, Cyrus/John, Sebastian, Gabriel) is delighted to share his following message:
"THE DRESSER.........WE DID IT!! Best one yet...and we will be extended a few weekends in Dec......I am sooooo happy!"
He's described it as "a fun and touching comedy set in 1942 England about a touring theatre company's leading man and his dresser one night backstage during a production of KING LEAR.
"The best part is it's absolutely FREE!!! FOR EVERYONE!!! Make your reservation and come along to enjoy some really fun theater."
Saturday and Sunday Matinees @ 2:30, now into December. "Admission is complimentary but reservations are required."
The Actors Studio, 8341 DeLongpre Ave., West Hollywood, CA. 323-860-8801.
The theatre is in a residential area, part of William S. Hart Park in West Hollywood. Street parking is available.
NOTE FROM MARCY (SG): The play is wonderful, charming, funny, painful, inevitable. Chris creates a character torn by the thrills, disappointments, and lost dreams of his long acting career. His moods, emotions, and actions swing wildly, sometimes practically from moment to moment. At the same time he grapples with the weight of the iconic character and the realities of his life. The ensemble cast, staging, and direction are excellent, complementing each other, the script, and the actors' talents.

----- SG UPDATES:
LATEST DS THEME HALLOWEEN CRUISE INFORMATION
"DARK SHADOWS AT SEA - A FALL GETAWAY"
October 27-November 3, 2013.
SG Update # 272 (Oct. 30) premiere-announced initial confirmed information for the first-ever DS Ocean Cruise, celebrating 30 years of the Dark Shadows Festival cast reunions & fan events.
The Fest asks SG to announce and report the following details for all fans wishing to join us.
"DARK SHADOWS HALLOWEEN CRUISE 2013
October 27 - November 3, 2013.
"Seven days round trip from NYC / NJ on board Royal Caribbean's Explorer of the Seas.
- Sailing with Lara Parker and Kathryn Leigh Scott
- Halloween Party/Bash - Bring your costumes!
- Special and rare Dark Shadows video screenings
- Dramatic onstage performances by the actors
- In-person interviews and Q&A with cast members
- More surprises to be announced!
*** Cruise Itinerary - Schedule:
Sun., Oct. 27 - DEPART Cape Liberty Cruise Port, NJ - Depart 5:00 pm
Mon., Oct. 28 - CRUISING
Tues., Oct. 29 - CRUISING
Wed., Oct. 30 - ARRIVE Kings Wharf, Bermuda
Thurs., Oct. 31 (Halloween) - Kings Wharf, Bermuda
Fri., Nov. 1 - DEPART Kings Wharf, Bermuda - Depart 4:00 pm
Sat., Nov. 2 - Cruising
Sun., Nov. 3 - ARRIVE Cape Liberty Cruise Port, NJ - Arrive 8:00am
Inside Staterooms from $749 per person
Ocean View Staterooms from $949 per person
Balcony Staterooms from $1099 per person
Suites from $1399 per person
Rates are per person based on double occupancy and include all port charges Plus Dark Shadows registration fee.
Government fees and taxes of $125 per person are additional.
PLEASE NOTE: Reservation fee also includes all meals for the entire trip.
RESERVE YOUR CABIN WITH A REFUNDABLE DEPOSIT BY JANUARY 31, 2013 AND YOU WILL JOIN LARA PARKER (Angelique) AND KATHRYN LEIGH SCOTT (Maggie) FOR A PRIVATE PARTY ON BOARD, PLUS RECEIVE AN EXCLUSIVE DARK SHADOWS CELEBRITY GIFT BAG!
For Details: Call toll-free 800-828-4813
ONLY by calling our above official reservation number will you be able to attend all private group events!
Minimum number of participants required in order to operate this group cruise event.
Artists/cast members subject to availability.
This cruise is organized and administrated by CruiseGourmet.com Magazine and Hartford Holidays Travel.

IMPORTANT NOTICE:
For those interested in submitting a booking request online as opposed to calling the toll-free number above, a simple Online Booking Request Form will be available at the following website address beginning Wednesday afternoon, November 21:
http://www.hartfordholidays.com/DarkShadowsHalloweenCruise

Offline Teresa

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 21, 2012, 11:39:50 AM »
I'm sure it is awesome Gerard but the additional things ( dog plus airfare) I have to pay in order to go on a trip just add up too much.  Right now spending close to $2000 is out of the question.  Plus I don't like being away from my dogs that long. [hall2_cry]
" Some day we'll look back on this and it will all seem funny"

Offline patrickm

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
    • Central Florida Dark Shadows Fan Club
« Reply #25 on: November 21, 2012, 08:09:00 PM »
While reviewing the prices for the same cruise on the Royal Caribbean's website, I see each room pp was $250 less than the quoted Festival rates. Can that be considered the Dark Shadows registration fee?

Offline KMR

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 21, 2012, 08:29:17 PM »
While reviewing the prices for the same cruise on the Royal Caribbean's website, I see each room pp was $250 less than the quoted Festival rates. Can that be considered the Dark Shadows registration fee?

I wouldn't be surprised.  After all, the DS special guests need to have their cruise paid for and be compensated for their time.

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 21, 2012, 11:19:10 PM »
Do we know if the cruise is going to be the only event being sponsored by the DS Festival in 2013?

I'm really wondering if this cruise is planned as, perhaps literally, a swan song for the Festival.

G.

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 22, 2012, 08:38:21 AM »
Gothick, when Jim Pierson mentioned the possibility of a cruise at this summer's fest, he did not seem to think of it as a swan song, but rather as simply something different from the same old same old.  If that's the case, then what might he dream up next?  Maybe a Dark Shadows Mexican bus tour, with a Grayson Hall impersonator leading us all in a singalong.

Offline retzev

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 22, 2012, 09:08:51 AM »
 [stfl]
"If you've lived a good life and said your prayers every night, when you die you'll go to Collinwood."  - Mark Rainey