Author Topic: I Capture the Castle & other assorted stories  (Read 2564 times)

Offline Philippe Cordier

• (formerly known as Vlad)
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
I Capture the Castle & other assorted stories
« on: May 23, 2003, 02:54:47 AM »

BTW, Dodie Smith--have you read I Capture the Castle yet? Great book and they're making it into a movie :)

I had never heard of "I Capture the Castle" -- unless you mentioned it before, Luciaphil -- until I spotted it on display at my local Border's a couple of weeks ago.  Of course I bought it right away, remembering that Dodie Smith had written one of my favorite childhood books.

Not sure if/when I might actually get around to reading it.  I noticed that it's one of J. K. Rowling's favorites -- I finally got back to Harry P. recently after a two-year detour, and am reading "Chamber of Secrets."  Wonder if there's any way in hell I can get through "Goblet" before "Phoenix" comes out?  Not bloody likely ...  ;D

My copy of "Castle" is the trade ppbk. movie tie-in (usually like to avoid those) ... I thought maybe the movie had come and gone already...

BTW, I'm not sure if we ever clarified this a while back -- Dodie Smith was one of the writers on "The Uninvited" -- though you probably knew that.

:)

"Collinwood is not a healthy place to be." -- Collinsport sheriff, 1995

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
Re:I Capture the Castle & other assorted stories
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2003, 03:33:25 PM »

How sad that another classic is being desecrated by Hollywood.  I shudder to think what the movie moguls will do to "I Capture the Castle."  Good though the Disney cartoon is (it's one of the very few I can still watch without getting a queasy stomach as an adult), the novel Hundred and One Dalmations is inexpressibly better.  I loved the sequel, The Starlight Barking--just beautiful.  I have no idea where you'd be able to find a copy today, of course.

There's a biography of Dodie Smith that came out some years ago.  She was a friend of Christopher Isherwood's, and, I believe, of other literary lights as well.

Gothick

Offline Philippe Cordier

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Re:Prof. Stokes' "Flat"
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2003, 01:43:17 AM »
How sad that another classic is being desecrated by Hollywood.  I shudder to think what the movie moguls will do to "I Capture the Castle

OT - Things may be somewhat more hopeful than you fear, Gothick.  I did some checking just now, and it is a BBC picture -- not Hollywood.   :)  An advance review I found said it's lovely to look at and nicely done, though a little too sweet.  But a wonderful cast including some of my Masterpiece Theatre favorites:  Sinead Cusack, Tara Fitzgerald, and Romola Garai, who made a luminous debut in the recent "Daniel Deronda."

Offline Philippe Cordier

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2003, 01:15:06 AM »
a wonderful cast including some of my Masterpiece Theatre favorites:  Sinead Cusack, Tara Fitzgerald, and Romola Garai, who made a luminous debut in the recent "Daniel Deronda."

re:  Sinead Cusack -- actually I was thinking of Sian Phillips, but I'm sure Sinead Cusack is very good, too.  :)

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2003, 01:19:52 AM »
and Romola Garai, who made a luminous debut in the recent "Daniel Deronda."

Wasn't that a great production all around? ;)

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2003, 09:17:37 PM »
Well, I adore Sian Phillips. so that's great news.  I must confess I was a little surprised that anyone in H'wood would be adapting a Dodie Smith novel.  It is the town, after all, where they were all trying to get Jane Austen on their cell phones a few years back, and Demi Moore commented that changing the plot, characters, and ending of the Scarlet Letter did not matter because "nobody ever read that old book anyway."

I missed Daniel Deronda, boo hoo, but heard great things about it.  Is anybody else taping The Wyvern Mysteries tonight, adapted from the Sheridan LeFanu novel?  I just love Sheridan LeFanu, a writer who deserves to be remembered for more than Carmilla.

Gothick

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2003, 09:27:24 PM »
I missed Daniel Deronda, boo hoo, but heard great things about it.

It was. If/when I see that it's being repeated, I'll make a post in CE/A '03. :)

Is anybody else taping The Wyvern Mysteries tonight, adapted from the Sheridan LeFanu novel?

No, but I watched it the last time around and loved it. I'd recommend that anyone who missed it try to catch it this time around. [spoiler]It also makes one wonder if DS had had the guts to use the story as its "inspiration" for Jenny Collins rather than Jane Eyre, what havoc Jenny might really have been up to after her escape! [wink2] But then, DC had probably never even heard of Sheridan LeFanu. ::) (Although, and maybe I'm recalling incorrectly, but in some ways Jenny's story resembles this more than it does Jane Eyre, which is what's generally credited as its inspiration. Hmmm...I think I'm going to have to tune in again tonight...)[/spoiler]

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2003, 09:40:10 PM »
THANK YOU GOTHICK!!!

I LOVED "The Wyvern Mysteries" but never taped it the first time.  Now I get a second chance!!!  :-*
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline Carol

• * Fiction Filly *
    Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
  • New York Cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2003, 11:33:57 PM »
  Is anybody else taping The Wyvern Mysteries tonight, adapted from the Sheridan LeFanu novel?  I just love Sheridan LeFanu, a writer who deserves to be remembered for more than Carmilla. Gothick

I don't see this listed anywhere. What channel is running it?
carolinamooon

"All that we see or seem is but a dream within a dream" - Edgar Allan Poe

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2003, 11:57:05 PM »
I don't see this listed anywhere. What channel is running it?

It's on the PBS series Mystery, which runs in most places on Thursdays at 9pm, but you should check your local listings for the day/time in your area. Or perhaps even check the PBS Web site at http://www.pbs.org and then enter your zip code in "What's On Tonight?" If Mystery isn't listed there, then try looking it up in PROGAMS A-Z to find out when it is on your area.. :)

Offline Philippe Cordier

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2003, 01:32:12 AM »
I have no idea where on dsboards I am right now, but somehow I found where this part of the thread had gone too ...  ;D ... I'm glad I did since I was feeling guilty about leading people astray off-topic ...  :D

I loved "The Wyvern Mysteries" and mangaged to tape it the third time it aired a couple of years ago -- after the second airing was pre-empted both nights by local politics on my PBS station ...

I think I started the book afterwards to make some comparisons and believe there were significant differences from the book, though I don't remember what they were.

Thought the production was great fun, though!

Hmmm, I wonder if J.K. Rowling makes use of the wyvern anywhere in the HP books ... I still have three to go to find out.   ::)

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2003, 02:17:16 AM »
I have no idea where on dsboards I am right now, but somehow I found where this part of the thread had gone too ...  ;D ... I'm glad I did since I was feeling guilty about leading people astray off-topic ...  :D

No need to ever feel guilty about going OT, Vlad, because this new system allows us to move, split and/or merge posts from/with others with very little effort if the discussion ever veers too far OT. ;)

Offline Carol

• * Fiction Filly *
    Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
  • New York Cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2003, 02:26:14 AM »
It's on the PBS series Mystery, which runs in most places on Thursdays at 9pm, but you should check your local listings for the day/time in your area. Or perhaps even check the PBS Web site at http://www.pbs.org and then enter your zip code in "What's On Tonight?" If Mystery isn't listed there, then try looking it up in PROGAMS A-Z to find out when it is on your area.. :)
Thanx, MB. I checked our local PBS channel and it was run during the 2000/2001 year.  No plans to rerun it, tho, on our channel. "Mystery" moved to Monday nights here and I haven't seen it listed in a long time.
carolinamooon

"All that we see or seem is but a dream within a dream" - Edgar Allan Poe

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2003, 02:36:52 AM »
Turns out I couldn't find it either.

Rats!!
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2003, 04:14:07 AM »
I watched it the last time around and loved it.

I'd forgotten how really good this was. I think I enjoyed it even more this time around than I did the first.

[spoiler]
[spoiler]Although, and maybe I'm recalling incorrectly, but in some ways Jenny's story resembles this more than it does Jane Eyre[/spoiler]

I was recalling incorrectly. I'd thought that perhaps the first "wife" had also had a child, but that was not the case. But I still think it could have been more interesting had Jenny been based on this story. Particularly when the first "wife" was triumphant in the end, and if that aspect had been adapted, it could have been a far more satisfying twist than what we were given with Angelique's involvement, which I've never completely swallowed. But alas...[/spoiler]