Author Topic: Angelique's Portrait  (Read 3491 times)

Offline Josette

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Angelique's Portrait
« on: May 21, 2003, 07:29:57 AM »
Angelique was so worried about Elizabeth and/or Carolyn recognizing her as Cassandra.  Barnabas pointed out that she had had dark hair then.  Lots of people have dyed their hair and still been recognized!!  However, so far it seems to have worked, despite Liz' feeling of familiarity about her.

But, both before they arrived and today when Barnabas came to get Carolyn, we see that the portrait of Angelique is still there!!!  Aside from whether or not that would recall to them who she is, surely they'd remember that portrait.  I guess we assume it's in a room they didn't go in, but as it seems to be somewhere near the front entrance and they are visiting for a week, it's really hard to believe that she'd risk that!!!!!
Josette

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Re:Angelique's Portrait
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2003, 08:34:15 AM »
I guess we assume it's in a room they didn't go in, but as it seems to be somewhere near the front entrance and they are visiting for a week, it's really hard to believe that she'd risk that!!!!!

Well, remember, so far as they know, the portrait Vicki bought was ruined beyond repair. So, if they did see the portait at Rumson House, they wouldn't think it was the same one and *might* even assume it was merely painted in the same style, as some people have been known to do. I suppose we can just believe that whatever might have taken place with reguard to the portrait and whatever cover story might have been given occurred during a time period we didn't see. ;)  As problems with this storyline go, anything having to do with the portrait is minor, indeed, basically because the portrait itself is a minor plot point - unlike a major development having to do with a "real world" aspect of the plot that comes up today for the first time in episode #949. It simply defies any logical explanation whatsoever, and it's one of the biggest problems I have with this portion of the story...

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2003, 02:29:11 PM »
  As problems with this storyline go, anything having to do with the portrait is minor, indeed, basically because the portrait itself is a minor plot point - unlike a major development having to do with a "real world" aspect of the plot that comes up today for the first time in episode #949. It simply defies any logical explanation whatsoever, and it's one of the biggest problems I have with this portion of the story...

Would you mind expounding on this oblique commentary?  I'm afraid I was watching episode #949 this morning while simultaneously reading the newspaper and sharing breakfast with the dog......and simply don't recall anything more egregiously illogical than usual. [smrtasb]
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2003, 07:36:20 PM »
Would you mind expounding on this oblique commentary?

With pleasure. But first let me preface what I'm about to say by explaining that I have absolutely no problem accepting anything supernatural that DS might throw at us. When it comes to those aspects of the stories, the show's writers were free to let their imaginations soar and to make up the rules as they went along, and the audience was simply taken along on the ride. However, whenever aspects of the plot crossed over into the "real world," DS was not free to make up its own rules.

Now, bearing that in mind, the Leviathans plot twist that completely defies logic was first introduced in episode #949 when Jeb burst into Collinwood and revealed that Philip "confessed" to all three recent murders. In subsequent episodes, we'll learn that Philip is actually being held in custody. But the thing is, any nut off the street can go into a police station and confess to anything. In order for them to be held for the crime(s), there needs to be actual evidence to connect them. A confession alone is not enough. But at no point during this whole situation is any evidence of that sort referenced. For example, just how was Philip able to carry out such bizarre murders? That sort of evidence needed to be specifically addressed within the story for his confession and arrest to hold any legitimacy - yet we get nothing. But the "best" part in all this is that Philip expresses fears he'll die for three murders he didn't commit. However, there's just one little hitch to that notion - back in 1970 Maine was one of nine states that didn't have capital punishment - the penalty for murder was life in prison. But then, why should such a small detail like reality prevent the DS writers from coming up with any of this, right? ::)

Shame on Violet Welles for first introducing the idea that someone could actually be executed for these murders - and shame on the DS writers as a whole for not making this plot twist believable in any way...

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2003, 08:40:07 PM »
However, whenever aspects of the plot crossed over into the "real world," DS was not free to make up its own rules.

Ah, the exquisite tortures of examining Dark Shadows too closely!!

On a show where they couldn't even track the continuity from pink dresses to black ones, it really is too much to expect that anyone on the set in New York should have called the Maine Legislature to ask if they had the death penalty on the books.  And even if they HAD known that the death penalty was not available, can't you just picture a writer deciding that  "I'm going to die...." works better as dialogue than "I"m going to spend the next 25 years to life....."?  Do you suppose they got many complaints?  Even from viewers in Maine?

You grant the writers complete freedom to invent their supernatural aspects as they will.  Safe to say they pretty much had that freedom on the set.....and I'll wager they were SO used to working that way that they simply couldn't be bothered remembering to sort out 'real' issues from fantasy ones.

As examples of reality-trashing go, I don't think this one holds a candle to the way in which a man found clinically insane was released 5 months later after a 10 minute conversation with a doctor who admitted to only "reading reports" about his condition for the duration of his committment!!

I guess once you get used to bending the laws of physics and nature, criminal law doesn't even merit a wink and a nod.  ;)
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2003, 10:32:54 PM »
On a show where they couldn't even track the continuity from pink dresses to black ones, it really is too much to expect that anyone on the set in New York should have called the Maine Legislature to ask if they had the death penalty on the books.

Well, believe it or not, the writers did research obscure Maine laws for the witchcraft trials that took place on the show. So, they were motivated when the spirit moved them. Unfortunately, it didn't move them often enough. ;)

And the death penalty issue is but a fraction of the problem. Even the most dimwitted attorney imaginable could have gotten Philip off had his case ever actually gone to trial. [lghy]

Ah, the exquisite tortures of examining Dark Shadows too closely!!

As for examining this plot too closely, well, back in the Dark Ages of online DS fandom (early 1997) circumstances existed that required that I closely examine even the tiniest minutiae of this storyline. But to reveal the reason behind it would be to reveal too much, as those who know who I am will definitely understand. ;) You'll simply have to trust that there was a very good reason at the time. It's just too bad that none of us involved in the project thought to save any of it. :( So, much like the events of the actual Dark Ages, it's merely the stuff of legend nowadays...

[argue]

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2003, 11:26:19 PM »
Well, believe it or not, the writers did research obscure Maine laws for the witchcraft trials that took place on the show. So, they were motivated when the spirit moved them. Unfortunately, it didn't move them often enough. ;)

Don't get me started on how it never moooved them ( ;) to sheenasma) to do any medical research.  How ridiculous was it for Julia, a medical doctor, to hover over a feverish baby Joseph while he's wrapped in a wool blanket?  Okay, so he was the wool blanket, but still...

Even the most dimwitted attorney imaginable could have gotten Philip off had his case ever actually gone to trial. [lghy]

Except Peter Bradford, snort.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2003, 12:21:58 AM »
Even the most dimwitted attorney imaginable could have gotten Philip off had his case ever actually gone to trial. [lghy]

Except Peter Bradford, snort.

Yes, well, I suppose HE would be THE exception. :D

But then, wasn't Peter Bradford only studying the law? (No doubt via an early form of correspondence course - somehow I can't imagine any respectable attorney being willing to publicly tutor him. [wink2]) The fact that he'd never actually passed a bar exam (or did they even have such a thing in 1796? - paging any lawyers out there...) probably goes a long way in explaining all of his problems! [lghy]

Isn't it amazing how this topic has evolved to the point that it no longer has anything whatsoever to do with its title? [winkg]

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2003, 03:38:03 AM »
My vote for the most appalling reality-trashing on BOTH the legal and medical fronts?

Dr. Hoffmann's routine pronouncement of deaths based upon a flick of an eyelid and a cursory search for a pulse.  On such paltry evidence, many a soul was consigned to the grave, many a hasty headstone erected.

MB....your obfuscatory comments about long-ago doings the rest of us know nothing about, were not kind....there's nothing nice about being a 'tease'.  [nono]

And what the hell is the title of this tread, anyway?
Dylan Thomas

Offline Debra

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2003, 09:57:04 AM »
Well, remember, so far as they know, the portrait Vicki bought was ruined beyond repair.

When did this happen?  When Vicky first bought the portrait back to Collinwood after she had purchased it in an antique shop I didn't think it looked "ruined" or beyond repair?  Did I miss something here?  I thought the painting looked pretty good.

Deb

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2003, 01:01:58 PM »
When did this happen?  When Vicky first bought the portrait back to Collinwood after she had purchased it in an antique shop I didn't think it looked "ruined" or beyond repair?  Did I miss something here?

Well...

[spoiler]When Nicholas took away Cassandra's powers and she began to age rapidly, Vicki, Julia and Roger discovered that Angelique's portrait suddenly appeared as it does in the above photo.[/spoiler]

And we finally get this thread back on topic. ;) And thanks for an opportunity to show everyone how the new Spoiler Text feature acts. :D

Offline Bobubas

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Full Poster
  • The Gates of Hell.
    • View Profile
    • Bob's Dark Shadow Event Photos
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2003, 01:46:45 PM »
[ And we finally get this thread back on topic. ;) And thanks for an opportunity to show everyone how the new Spoiler Text feature acts. :D

The Spoiler Text feature is great. What a neat and relative addition to the site.  :)[spoiler]Peek-A- Boo  :)[/spoiler] Speaking of the 1795 Angelique portrait. Here is a replica I made and had on display at my dealers table at the 2001 NY Festival.
Your Focus Determines Your Reality!
Everything in Life is only for now!

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
OT - spoiler text
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2003, 03:54:57 PM »
And thanks for an opportunity to show everyone how the new Spoiler Text feature acts. :D

I love it.  On some other posting boards you have to move the cursor around to find the spoilers, and sometimes you find that a large blank space is just a blank space.  If you've been to The Bronze pb you know what I'm talking about.

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
Re:OT - spoiler text
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2003, 04:08:35 PM »
On some other posting boards you have to move the cursor around to find the spoilers, and sometimes you find that a large blank space is just a blank space.

A large blank space is all I'm getting, even when I move the cursor.

Don't tell me.  Let me guess. It's just an IE thang..... ::)
Dylan Thomas

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Re:OT - spoiler text
« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2003, 05:18:12 PM »
A large blank space is all I'm getting, even when I move the cursor.

Don't tell me.  Let me guess. It's just an IE thang..... ::)

Ack, I don't see the text in IE either. [undb]