Author Topic: ds convention/event tapes  (Read 1362 times)

Offline joe integlia

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
    • joes gallery of DS photos
ds convention/event tapes
« on: May 20, 2003, 02:12:20 AM »
the ds 25th anniversary is no longer available. it was taken away after frid got upset over 2 dramatic reaings that were added to it without his consent. i have many ds convention/event tapes available for sale. e-mail me ur snail mail address for a list. jtvideo@webtv.net
also have many photos from ds events on my website.
http://surf.to/darkshadowsphotos
some photofiles were lost by mrjuggins who put up the site so unfortunately there r many missing photos.

Offline Patti Feinberg

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • DSF God
    • View Profile
Re:ds convention/event tapes
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2003, 01:54:58 AM »
the ds 25th anniversary is no longer available.
What's the DS 25th anniversay?
It was taken away after frid got upset over 2 dramatic reaings
Reaings?? (readings? Re-airings?) that were added to it without his consent.
i have many ds convention/event tapes available for sale. e-mail me ur snail mail address for a list. jtvideo@webtv.net
also have many photos from ds events on my website.
http://surf.to/darkshadowsphotos
Is this legal?

I really don't mean to sound creepy Joe...but I'm confused?

Patti
What a Woman!

Offline doombuggy69

• Junior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2003, 04:17:15 PM »
The DS 25th Anniversary was released in 1991 on MPI home video.  It is the rarest of all DS MPI tapes. Joe is right, it was pulled after only a few months from the market, because it contained two dramatic readings that Frid did in 1985. These were aired as part of the New Jersey Network PBS fundraiser special.  NJN was running DS at the time, and created a new DS special for their pledge week. The rest of the MPI 25th Anniversary tape was comprised of convention highlights from past Festivals.  Consider yourself lucky if you have a copy of this one.

Offline joe integlia

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
    • joes gallery of DS photos
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2003, 06:52:31 PM »
there has never been any problem or restrictions with videotaping and later selling the events that take place during the festivals. only when a ds star like frid or nb was doing a performance were fans requested not to videotape.

David

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2003, 10:00:49 AM »
does anyone know why Frid was upset about the monologues being included on the tape? Is he planning a video/DVD release o his own?

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2003, 09:21:50 PM »
Hi DoomBuggy, I'm surprised that the 25th anniversary tape was yanked as quickly as you say. My impression was that it was available for years before they finally deleted it.  I do remember when the hoo-ha broke out over the fact that Mr. Frid had apparently not signed anything permitting the use of the Telltale Heart performance (which is excellent, and rates as the only appearance by him in a visual recorded medium since that Oliver Stone thing).

I'll have to get it out and watch it again.

Gothick

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2003, 09:31:20 PM »
I'm surprised that the 25th anniversary tape was yanked as quickly as you say. My impression was that it was available for years before they finally deleted it.

Your impression is the correct one. The 25th Anniversary tape appeared in MPI's catalogues and on their Web site as late as 1995 before it was taken out of circulation by them and in effect replaced by the 30th Anniversary tape in 1996. The August 1995 issue of ShadowGram included this announcement: "The previously-released DS 25th ANNIVERSARY video has been deleted; a different version is expected at a later date."

Nancy

« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2003, 09:53:04 PM »
There was an ongoing dispute between MPI and the DS actors at the time the 25th Anniversary video was being conceived and produced.  This was a matter of public record in the industry trades at the time.  In fact, Marie Wallace and Donna Wandrey did not attend one of the festivals due to the dispute.  So you can imagine why Frid would not be keen on having a non DS performance of his on a videotape not only without his knowledge or permission but on a product being produced by a company he and others were having a then current dispute over unresolved issues.  The videotape didn't stop being distributed until sometime during 1995 so it was on the market for two years.  However, the situation referred to above was eventually resolved, which is the important thing.

Nancy

Hi DoomBuggy, I'm surprised that the 25th anniversary tape was yanked as quickly as you say. My impression was that it was available for years before they finally deleted it.  I do remember when the hoo-ha broke out over the fact that Mr. Frid had apparently not signed anything permitting the use of the Telltale Heart performance (which is excellent, and rates as the only appearance by him in a visual recorded medium since that Oliver Stone thing).

I'll have to get it out and watch it again.

Gothick