Author Topic: About that Wolfbane¢â‚¬¦¢â‚¬¦..  (Read 928 times)

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
About that Wolfbane¢â‚¬¦¢â‚¬¦..
« on: May 19, 2003, 02:03:28 PM »
I just realised something about that nursery rhyme they keep repeating about the legend of the werewolf (lifted straight from the original "Werewolf" movie with Lon Chaney, by the way).

The curse actually require TWO things for the change to take place: the moon must be full, but also, the wolfbane must be in bloom.  Well, that doesn't seem like such a terrible affliction to me.  Wolfbane doesn't actually BLOOM for longer than a month.  I know.  I grow the stuff.

There are varieties of Aconitum (most often called Monkshood) that will bloom as early as July, but most will not until August or September.  So what are we talking about?  Two transformations a year, at the most?  Maybe only one since this is  Maine after all and the growing season is short?  I know people who get migraines more often than that who would gladly trade for a couple of ¢â‚¬Ëœbad hair' nights a year in a cell.

In case anyone is interested in this sort of stuff, the name ¢â‚¬Ëœwolfbane'  came about because Aconitum is extremely poisonous and was distilled to poison the tips of arrows used in wolf hunting in Europe.  They were more concerned that they actually KILL the wolves rather than wound them, so they didn't mind making the kill inedible.

Too bad Grandmamamama Edith never thought to add a Victorian era glass and iron conservatory onto Collinwood¢â‚¬¦¢â‚¬¦.it would have been SO authentic to  such a house, (not to mention a FABULOUS set to tape in!) especially in a place like Maine where it would have provided a rare place to grow delicate things.  And it would have been very handy, considering the amount of strange plants, weird herbs and deadly botanicals the locals seem to require.
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Re:About that Wolfbane¢â‚¬¦¢â‚¬¦..
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2003, 06:44:13 PM »
There are varieties of Aconitum (most often called Monkshood) that will bloom as early as July, but most will not until August or September.  So what are we talking about?  Two transformations a year, at the most?  Maybe only one since this is  Maine after all and the growing season is short?  I know people who get migraines more often than that who would gladly trade for a couple of ¢â‚¬Ëœbad hair' nights a year in a cell.

Further complicating matters is that the original rhyme in the movie (one of my faves!) was "...and the Autumn moon is bright", which matches your description of its blooming period but I'm guessing the writers tweaked it because the scene aired in February (?).

The DS writers must've really liked that movie.  Off the top of my head, bopping the werewolf with a silver-headed cane came from it, and it might've inspired them to choose "Jenny" as the name of Quentin's wife.

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2003, 05:25:58 PM »
Hi Rainey,

Ever been to this site:

http://www.luckymojo.com

I visited the actual real-life shop that runs this site and met the gracious, friendly and knowledgeable proprietress, Cat Yronwode.  I purchased her book on Hoodoo.  It has LOADS of fascinating herbal lore. For instance, did you know that there are varieties of orris root (remember when Julianka needed the blood of the orris root for her spell?) known as Queen Elizabeth Root and Queen Jezebel Root?  The Curse of Jezebel cast with the latter is enough to make one's blood curdle.

If you have pets, I hope you keep them well away from that Monkshood!

Gothick

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2003, 05:40:47 PM »
Thanks for the site, Steve.  [winkb]

Don't worry about the old Huskey....she's singularly unimpressed with botanicals.  She tried to take on a Pyracantha bush when she was a puppy and never tasted another green thing in the garden again.  And of course it's planted inside the fencing so none but we can even see it, much less get at it.

However, my husband has been mentioning the Monkshood to various friends and co-workers, just in case he should up and die suddenly  [confused_ani]
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas