Author Topic: Every Member's Very Own Smiley.......  (Read 3185 times)

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
Re:Every Member's Very Own Smiley.......
« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2003, 11:32:00 PM »
Well, Rainey, since I don't have a home computer, I *am* plagued with IE whenever I'm online (which, thank the gods, is not ALL the time--there are limits to just how much connectivity the old grump can stand).
Fortunately, I did get the good word from that clever Luciaphil (evidently, skill at croquet is an excellent asset for handling the more delicate deployments of The Mouse) and discovered that I *can* read the weird "spoiler text" boxes after all.  Let's bake a cake and throw it against the wall in honor of THAT development.

I am also relieved beyond words to report that my smiley does not display on my ID on what I've written.  Thank you for that consideration, MB.

I shall now slither back to my hovel (or, more accurately, my tent--I'm off camping in Vermont tomorrow--camping in EVERY sense of the word, my dear; I'll keep an eye out for those red spotted shrooms).

TTFN, Gothick

Offline Carol

• * Fiction Filly *
    Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
  • New York Cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2003, 12:31:39 AM »
I shall now slither back to my hovel (or, more accurately, my tent--I'm off camping in Vermont tomorrow--camping in EVERY sense of the word, my dear; I'll keep an eye out for those red spotted shrooms). TTFN, Gothick
Have a great weekend, Gothick!! Watch out for those night crawlers like assorted spirits, zombies, and werewolves.
carolinamooon

"All that we see or seem is but a dream within a dream" - Edgar Allan Poe

Offline Luciaphile

• ** Collinsport Commentator **
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2003, 02:11:11 AM »
Fortunately, I did get the good word from that clever Luciaphil (evidently, skill at croquet is an excellent asset for handling the more delicate deployments of The Mouse) and discovered that I *can* read the weird "spoiler text" boxes after all.  Let's bake a cake and throw it against the wall in honor of THAT development.

There's no skill involved. I'm just a major spoiler whore and they use this little gizmo at TWoP http://www.televisionwithoutpity.com all the time.

Glad to hear you got it to work and have fun with the camping thing!
"Some people ask their god for answers to their spiritual questions. For everything else, there is Google." --rpcxdr-ga

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2003, 02:43:49 AM »
There's no skill involved. I'm just a major spoiler whore and they use this little gizmo at TWoP http://www.televisionwithoutpity.com all the time.

Hmmm - not sure what they're using at TWoP, but I swear I came up with the code behind our Spoiler Text feature on my own (it's based on some new elements I've added to the forum template's CSS (Cascading Style Ssheet) declarations).

I actually just tried to see how TWoP's version works, but I couldn't find a topic where it was used and their CSS declarations are called into their template from a file located in a directory which is inaccessible (as it should be) to visitors - and I didn't feel like becoming a member just to be able to get access to their posting page. But still, I am curious. You wouldn't by any chance remember a post where their spoiler feature is used, would you? ;)

Offline Luciaphile

• ** Collinsport Commentator **
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 23, 2003, 10:52:16 PM »
I actually just tried to see how TWoP's version works, but I couldn't find a topic where it was used and their CSS declarations are called into their template from a file located in a directory which is inaccessible (as it should be) to visitors - and I didn't feel like becoming a member just to be able to get access to their posting page. But still, I am curious. You wouldn't by any chance remember a post where their spoiler feature is used, would you? ;)

Sure. Spoilers have been posted non-stop on the All My Children board. I'm not sure how well this URL is going to work, but I went to forums, Other TV Talk, Soap Operas, and then All My Children.

TWoP Forums   »  Other TV Talk   »  Soap Operas   »  All My Children

Hope that helps.
"Some people ask their god for answers to their spiritual questions. For everything else, there is Google." --rpcxdr-ga

Offline jennifer

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • DSF God
  • we'll always love you Don!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 25, 2003, 01:10:41 AM »

I shall now slither back to my hovel (or, more accurately, my tent--I'm off camping in Vermont tomorrow--camping in EVERY sense of the word, my dear; I'll keep an eye out for those red spotted shrooms).

TTFN, Gothick

thought i heard you howling Steve! we really have to meet for lunch some day!

jennifer
we are the champions!!!!
 2007 Boston Red Sox
PAV

Offline onyx_treasure

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 25, 2003, 02:09:14 AM »
Gothick,
     I love Vermont but I'm more of a Bed and Breakfast person myself.  If you get tired of camping the 1811 House in Manchester is fantastic.  When I first stayed there in the early 80's, I thought it was what the Old House should look like on the inside.  The rooms are all filled with old portraits and antiques.  The only bad time I ever had there was when I was pregnant and the bed was a beautiful four post with a big fluffy mattress.  Unfortunately with my bulky, ponderous shape, I sank like a stone and could not move.  It took my hubbie ten minutes to pull me out of the hole I made.  However, the room was still beautiful.  They even have claw-foot tubs and fireplaces in some of the rooms.  You won't get that camping!
[spoiler]Just so I don't get in trouble for getting OT, I am going to see how this spoiler thang works[/spoiler]
There are two means of refuge from the misery of life--music and cats.  Albert Schweitzer

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 25, 2003, 02:34:32 AM »
Hope that helps.

Very much so. Thanks.

Not that I'm prejudiced in my own favor, but I like my method better. The ijsbb forum system that TWoP is using changes the spoiler text to a color so similar to the post background as to render it invisible and that's why you have to drag your cursor across it to read it. And it works that way in every browser. With my method, the spoiler text appears on its own in every browser except IE when you simply put your cursor in a blank spot within the spoiler text box (usually the bottom right corner works best) or along the dotted outline of the box.

I e-mailed the TWoP Webmaster a copy of what I've done for YaBBSE, though he's not sure he can change the way ijsbb does things. But he did e-mail a copy of their CSS declarations file for me to see if I could make any improvements. I just might. :D