Author Topic: Angelique and Laura  (Read 835 times)

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
Angelique and Laura
« on: October 15, 2012, 03:59:45 AM »
For some reason today, I was recalling Laura and Angelique's big confrontation scene in 1897.  When Laura says to Our Favorite Witch:  "What does it feel like to succeed as a ... whatever you are... but to be a failure AS A WOMAN?"  I think it is one of the bitchiest moments in all DS history.

One of the tragedies that's bugging the hell out of me right now is that NoDS is being released in its unrestored form.  I was really looking forward to seeing the restored piano scene with its exchange between Laura and Angelique, where the spiteful witch informs her rival:  "Oh, he knows what's happening, Laura my darling, and for *the first time in his life* he's really enjoying it!"

In some weird alternate version of the DS multiverse, this second scene (which takes place in the AU world of the movies) could be see as Angelique's payback for what Laura taunted her with in 1897.

G.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
Re: Angelique and Laura
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2012, 04:02:40 AM »
I still have that movie in my future.  I didn't know Laura was in one of them...!
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Nicky

• Full Poster
  • It will be as if you are dead..I promised you that
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2012, 04:53:12 AM »
I'm super bummed that the NODS release will be sans that scene especially.  I remember being so shocked when I received my copy of the DS Music Book back in the mid-90's and, upon gawking at crimson-coutured LP featured on the cover, thinking to myself, "I don't remember Angelique wearing anything in NODS except that filmy white sex-gown!"

I recently rewatched the 1897 Laura/Angelique smackdown, Gothy dear, and I never, EVER tire of it.  Angelique in 1897 is mostly awesome (minus a few occasions where Petofi gets the better of her and that less-than-satisfying explanation for her behavior in the latter part of the storyline, PLUS, as I remembered last night, the confusion over her last name) ... really, REALLY powerful for the first time in the series.  I like to give credit to Violet Welles for adding some sass to OFW and allowing her the upper hand more often than the times she was under Nicholas' thumb ... or Petofi's ... or Judah's ...
"And the dark and terrifying thing you find there will turn your blood to ice!"

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2012, 05:21:35 AM »
I think of Violet Welles as THE unsung heroine of DS.  There's only that one interview with her (so far as I know) which Dale Clark published in his zine, and really ought to be republished in one of the PomPress books (except we know that KLS never, ever pays a red cent to anyone for anything--oops, did I say that with my outloud voice?)  Apparently Welles came back to write practically the entire final month of the series, so anything that's decent in '41 PT probably comes from her violet quill.

I agree that I, too, never tire of watching Laura and Ange duke it out.  I even love watching Ange order Magda to bring her a mirror!  She's so imperious in that scene.  What fun.

xo G.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2012, 05:29:42 AM »
I think of Violet Welles as THE unsung heroine of DS.

My favorite writer, even before I knew how much uncredited work she'd done.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Nicky

• Full Poster
  • It will be as if you are dead..I promised you that
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2012, 05:49:50 AM »
There's a fascinating interview with Welles in TWODS 59/60!
"And the dark and terrifying thing you find there will turn your blood to ice!"