Author Topic: OT: AOL Subscribers, Vote For Grayson!  (Read 1507 times)

ClaudeNorth

OT: AOL Subscribers, Vote For Grayson!
« on: May 15, 2003, 03:07:48 PM »
Greetings!

Recently, Warner Bros. home video announced that they are conducting a poll on AOL to determine which films will be included in a special group of DVD releases.  There are twenty films on the list, and the top five vote getters will be released later this year (I believe), with the other fifteen slated for release at a later date.

One of the films on the list is THE NIGHT OF THE IGUANA, featuring the Oscar- and Golden Globe-nominated performance of The Divine One, GRAYSON HALL.

I want to encourage all of the AOL susbscribers on this board to cast their vote for TNOTI.  Grayson's performance is excellent, and the film definitely deserves to be released on DVD.

To vote, go to AOL, keyword "DVD Decision".

Thank you!

John

Offline Bobubas

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Full Poster
  • The Gates of Hell.
    • View Profile
    • Bob's Dark Shadow Event Photos
Re:OT: AOL Subscribers, Vote For Grayson!
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2003, 03:30:37 PM »
Hi John,

I'll be glad to put my vote in. I went to the site and it says "you are a bit early, come back on June 2nd to vote[/b], so i'll go back then and enter my vote for Night of the Iguana.  :)
Your Focus Determines Your Reality!
Everything in Life is only for now!

Offline Bette

• Full Poster
  • Quentin, you have no future.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2003, 07:55:55 PM »
Thanks John,

Yesterday I saw an article in "Daily Variety" about the June vote and was considering  posting the info to this Board. I'm glad that you did it, because I probably would never have gotten around to it. I have been waiting for NOTI to be released in DVD, so I certainly hope that it gets enough votes. And I hope that they add the featurette on the making of the movie, which I always seem to miss when they show it on TCM.  And thanks for your (future) vote, Bobubas.  (I'd use a smiley on you, but I can't seem to get them to work just at present. Grrrr AOL)

Bette
Life works if you let it

Offline Bobubas

• Full Poster
  • The Gates of Hell.
    • View Profile
    • Bob's Dark Shadow Event Photos
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2003, 11:28:05 PM »
And thanks for your (future) vote, Bobubas

Bette

My pleasure  :) While on that site I found a feature called
Suggest-A-Movie. You can type in any movie and if TCM already has a future air date it list the date(s) the movie will be on. If it doesn't have a planned airing it takes you to a box where it asks you why you would like to see that particular movie. I typed in Night of the Iguana and it has two future air dates. It will air at 6pm on both June 25th and July 31st! :)
Your Focus Determines Your Reality!
Everything in Life is only for now!

Offline MsCriseyde

• Senior Poster
  • Even the name reeks of Ohrbach's!
    • View Profile
    • Criseyde's David Selby Site
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2003, 08:35:57 AM »
I want to encourage all of the AOL susbscribers on this board to cast their vote for TNOTI.  Grayson's performance is excellent, and the film definitely deserves to be released on DVD.

I'll definitely thrown in a vote. I'm sure I can round up plenty of my English student/teacher friends to do the same thing.

We're suckers for film versions of plays.

Richard Burton in bondage allegedly does things for some of us too.  ;)

Dark Shadows Alumni Movies (Includes a DS News page.)

Offline jennifer

• DSF God
  • we'll always love you Don!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2003, 05:51:07 AM »
And thanks for your (future) vote, Bobubas

Bette

My pleasure  :) While on that site I found a feature called
Suggest-A-Movie. You can type in any movie and if TCM already has a future air date it list the date(s) the movie will be on. If it doesn't have a planned airing it takes you to a box where it asks you why you would like to see that particular movie. I typed in Night of the Iguana and it has two future air dates. It will air at 6pm on both June 25th and July 31st! :)

i didn't see suggest a movie on that site Bob was it on the TCM site?

jennifer
we are the champions!!!!
 2007 Boston Red Sox
PAV

Offline jennifer

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2003, 05:53:10 AM »
Greetings!

Recently, Warner Bros. home video announced that they are conducting a poll on AOL to determine which films will be included in a special group of DVD releases.  There are twenty films on the list, and the top five vote getters will be released later this year (I believe), with the other fifteen slated for release at a later date.

One of the films on the list is THE NIGHT OF THE IGUANA, featuring the Oscar- and Golden Globe-nominated performance of The Divine One, GRAYSON HALL.

Thank you!

John
i don't know Where The Boys are is on that list a young George Hamilton ;D oh well i'll vote for Grayson!

jennifer
we are the champions!!!!
 2007 Boston Red Sox
PAV

Offline Julia99

• Senior Poster
  • My Fans are Legion
    • View Profile
    • Barnabas & Company
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2003, 08:06:28 PM »
I'll vote although everyone is dead. .who would they interview?  And would they focus on the LaLiz-Burton hubbaluloo .. i can't spell.  I'd like someone, anyone to focus on the fact that Hall not Burton, not Kerr, not Gardner was nominated for an Oscar .. no one else but her . .although they were all very good.  No one mentions that in any of the movie writeups, pisses me off. . . :-
Julia99

ClaudeNorth

« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2003, 04:36:36 AM »
i don't know Where The Boys are is on that list a young George Hamilton ;D oh well i'll vote for Grayson!

jennifer

I think you might be able to vote for your five faves, so by all means, cast one for Grayson, and one for WTBA, which happens to be another favorite of mine.

John 

ClaudeNorth

« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2003, 04:41:34 AM »
I'll vote although everyone is dead. .who would they interview?  And would they focus on the LaLiz-Burton hubbaluloo .. i can't spell.  I'd like someone, anyone to focus on the fact that Hall not Burton, not Kerr, not Gardner was nominated for an Oscar .. no one else but her . .although they were all very good.  No one mentions that in any of the movie writeups, pisses me off. . . :-

It's a shame, really, that Grayson is overlooked whenever this film is mentioned somewhere.  In terms of billing, she usually isn't listed as one of the main players, even though hers is a pivotal role.

I believe that Sue Lyon is still alive.  Since she played several scenes with La Grayson, I'm sure she could contribute an anecdote or two about The Divine One.

John

Offline jennifer

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2003, 03:33:43 PM »

jennifer

I think you might be able to vote for your five faves, so by all means, cast one for Grayson, and one for WTBA, which happens to be another favorite of mine.

John
cool thanks john  8)

jennifer
we are the champions!!!!
 2007 Boston Red Sox
PAV

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2003, 10:16:49 PM »
There are probably technical people around who could be interviewed about the making of the film.  I think Hampton Fancher is still alive as well, and he was there.  The ones *I* want to hear from though are those two maracas-shakin' beach bunnies.  You just know they must have some great stories to tell.

How weird that Grayson isn't mentioned in current write-ups of the film.  Even though she didn't get top billing, she shows up at least three times in the trailer for the movie.  I have a whole collection of reviews of the film from the original 1964 release, and she is often mentioned as the ONLY thesp to turn in a worthwhile performance in the movie!  I agree with those who give all of them good marks, but Grayson deserved special recognition.

I have several favorite anecdotes about the making of it.  One was after Grayson did the telephone scene, Ava Gardner asked her how she did it so convincingly.  Grayson said something like I just pause and imagine the other person speaking on the other end of the line.  Ava apparently shrieked, exclaimed "Oh NO, that's TECHNIQUE!" and went barrelling down towards the beach to jump in the surf.  I suspect  the Divine One may have exaggerated just a tad in telling that story.

Also, there's a story in one of the big glossy magazine interviews where Grayson and Burton were in a bar one evening and Burton was making googly eyes at her and asking if he could stay with her (he had just signed a contract to do Hamlet in NYC) while an amused Liz looked on.  According to the reporter, Burton told Grayson:  "YOU, love, are an ACTRESS."

Gothick