Author Topic: Quentin's Portrait and Death's Waiting Room  (Read 826 times)

Offline Philippe Cordier

• (formerly known as Vlad)
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Quentin's Portrait and Death's Waiting Room
« on: May 15, 2003, 12:16:46 AM »
I'm late posting some thoughts I had about recent episodes -- this is my first day out my sickbed ... (I finally got whatever everyone else on this board seemed to have multiple times during the winter ...  >:( )

I really, really like the way the portrait of Quentin was interwoven into this storyline, and the Quentin and Amanda in the Underworld sequence is one of the most memorable of DS, in my opinion ... probably because I've always loved Greek mythology ...  But I'm also fascinated with the way DS portrayed Death's Waiting Room ... I wonder if the idea of a luxury hotel lobby was original with the DS writers, or if it might have been lifted from some old movie? ...

The series of traps in the underworld was OK considering the budget, but I think it would have been more effective if they had only shown the spider's shadow, as they did at first, instead of going all the way with the "horror" of the hairy thing!

Incidentally, none of the characters ever seems to have realized that it was Barnabas who was responsible for Quentin's loss of memory, not the accident!  Interesting that everyone seemed to remain in the dark about that, and surprising that Julia didn't catch on ...

Something I found confusing was the way the portrait of Olivia Corey was revealed when the second painting was sponged away using solvents, but with the Quentin/New South Wales painting(s), they "lifted off" the New South Wales landscape ... apparently this was painted on a separate canvas that had been stretched over Quentin's portrait's canvas ... thought that might have been explained a little better ...

I've always been fascinated with Quentin's portrait (i.e., since these episodes last ran) and "The Picture of Dorian Gray" themes  ...  and found it interesting that the uncredited DS artist who created the portrait of the aged Quentin basically duplicated the famous Dorian Gray portrait by Ivan Albright that hangs in some museum in Chicago (have any Chicagoans out there ever seen this?).

Too bad DS never saw fit to give the portrait artists credit ... they certainly gave "the bat" enough credit, and I would think that the portraits of Barnabas, Angelique, and Quentin took at least as much time and skill to create ...

Wasn't it funny that the old art professor didn't provide some kind of warning in advance about what the portrait of Quentin Collins showed?  It must have been somewhat of a surprise even to him when he unveiled it ...

The deeper meaning of this sequence of Quentin's portrait, showing the ravages of "sin" (I think that was the word they used) and time made me ponder:  What would a portrait of me look like if it showed all of my transgressions?  ;D  (Though I'm sure the halo around my head is only somewhat faded and tarnished  :D )
"Collinwood is not a healthy place to be." -- Collinsport sheriff, 1995

Offline Cassandra

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
Re:Quentin's Portrait and Death's Waiting Room
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2003, 09:05:41 AM »
Incidentally, none of the characters ever seems to have realized that it was Barnabas who was responsible for Quentin's loss of memory, not the accident!  Interesting that everyone seemed to remain in the dark about that, and surprising that Julia didn't catch on ..

Was Barnabas responsible for Quentin's memory loss?  I know he was responsible for the accident but I was under the impression that it was the accident itself that caused his amnesia?  Maybe I missed something on the show.

Too bad DS never saw fit to give the portrait artists credit ... they certainly gave "the bat" enough credit, and I would think that the portraits of Barnabas, Angelique, and Quentin took at least as much time and skill to create ...

I agree Vlad.  The portraits were all so nicely done that you would think they would have given some credit to the artists who painted them.    Angelique's portrait from parallel time was also very well done and both her portraits bare a strong resemblence to her, which is sometimes hard when painting a person.

Barnabas also had two portraits done, the original which hangs in the foyer at Collinwood and the second one that hangs in the old house.  The second one especially looks like him.

The only portrait I think wasn't painted for the show was Josette's because that one looks nothing like her. I imagine they  got this portrait before the character was cast.

Cassandra
"Calamity Jane"

Offline Philippe Cordier

• (formerly known as Vlad)
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Re:Quentin's Portrait and Death's Waiting Room
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2003, 10:54:35 PM »
Was Barnabas responsible for Quentin's memory loss?  I know he was responsible for the accident but I was under the impression that it was the accident itself that caused his amnesia?  Maybe I missed something on the show.

I think the scene that showed this, but was never mentioned later, was when Barnabas "visited" Quentin in the hospital right after the accident.

"Collinwood is not a healthy place to be." -- Collinsport sheriff, 1995