Author Topic: Robservations 5/13/03 - #936-937 - Barnabas Promises to Come Clean  (Read 1160 times)

Offline ROBINV

• ** Robservationist **
  • Senior Poster
  • The Write Stuff
    • View Profile
    • Personal site of Robin Vogel
936 - (The beginning is repeated, but so much differently than it ended in the first ep, I include it here.)

Horrified, Barnabas kneels beside the dead, slime-covered body of Sheriff Davenport. Jeb comes in. "Caught you, Mr. Collins," he says. "Come to betray me?"

Jeb kicks his way through the debris--what are you doing here? he demands.  You didn't listen to me, did you? Barnabas asks Jeb--you got away with killing Stoddard, you think you can get away with this?
You came here to betray me, accuses Jeb, to tell all you knew about Stoddard's death, to tell all you know about us. You have a vivid imagination, declares Barn. You deny it? asks Jeb. Of course, says Barnabas, and we'd better get out of here before...  No, says Jeb, barring Barnabas exit--not until you tell me what you're doing here. Someone may come, protests Barnabas. Talk fast, Jeb orders. The sheriff came to Collinwood, explains Barnabas, he knew I'd been to the antique shop when Paul was there, and found Stoddard's cufflink when he was searching the place--I came to explain! "That's it?" asks Jeb. Yes, says Barn.  How? asks Jeb. Barnabas doesn't think this is the time to talk about it, but Jeb does. I know we can be caught, warns Barn. YOU can be caught, says Jeb--I can say I came here and you were bending over the body. Why don't you trust me? demands Barn, I live by the rules. How old-fashioned of you, Jeb says. Do the same, Barnabas advises--you can't do this--there is to be no more killing. Can you stop me? asks Jeb, who kicks his way back through the debris and leaves. Barnabas throws one grossed-out glance at the slime-covered sheriff (who is played by a difference actor) and exits the police station.

Collinwood - Liz, oddly dressed in black widows' weeds, insists to Megan, you and Philip must attend the funeral--I don't care that gossip connects the shop with Paul's death. Roger hovers nearby, listening. I want everyone to know how ridiculous we consider the gossip, says Liz...all right, I'll see you there. After she hangs up, Roger says, you'll do nothing but encourage talk, having that couple at the funeral--you know how suspicious his death was. Paul died of heart failure, says Liz. Yes, but what caused his heart to fail? Questions Roger. We don't have to think about that, says Liz. Yes, we do, insists Roger--the police are thinking about it--something came into that room at Stokes' house. What was Paul doing there? asks Liz. Julia found him wandering around and took him there, says Roger. Why would she do that, wonders Liz--why not bring him back here, where he belongs? Ask her that question, suggests Roger. I have, says Liz, but didn't get a satisfactory answer. I'm sure she thought she was doing the best thing, says Roger. Then she believed Paul's mad stories? asks Liz.  I'm not sure there isn't an element of truth to it, opines Roger--something must have gone into that room--I'm sorry--Paul was a scoundrel, a worthless man, he caused this family nothing but trouble since he married you--let's not allow his death to cause more problems--we can inquire into it privately but hush it up publicly, that's all I meant to say.
"And you said it brilliantly, Uncle Roger," says Carolyn from the landing. She, too, is dressed in black, wearing a black hat and veil, her hair pulled back. "All in the Collins tradition," she adds sarcastically, "it should be a motto on our family emblem--hypocrisy above all!" She comes downstairs.  There's no point in upsetting yourself, says Liz.  "My father was murdered!" cries Carolyn.  Liz protests--the autopsy showed...  Showed only part of the story, insists Carolyn, the acceptable part--the part that would hurt no one--I intend to find out who killed him. Oh, Carolyn! sighs Liz.  I loved him, Mother, she says softly. You barely knew him, chimes in Roger. I knew him, says Carolyn, and I'm glad I had the chance--I knew him, just perhaps intuitively, perhaps because I'm part of him--Mother, surely you can remember loving him, sobs Carolyn, because you must have once, you must have! Liz turns away. Control yourself, Roger urges his niece--it's all going to be much more difficult if you don't. Carolyn pulls away from his intended comforting hug, shouting, "Collins are not supposed to cry!--well, this is the Stoddard part of me, the part that lets me feel!"  Liz attempts to comfort her--you must try, Carolyn, really--come along. The clock begins to chime.  It's time, says Roger--we're going. Not like this, says Liz, leading Carolyn into the drawing room. I know how difficult this is, says Liz, we're all trying to make is easier...  Out in the foyer, Roger looks at the clock, his face grim. Barnabas enters--you haven't left yet? he asks--good, I thought I was late. Thank you for coming, says Roger.  I owed it to Carolyn and Elizabeth, he says--and yes, even to Paul Stoddard. (it's nice to be able to attend daytime funerals, isn't it?)  You barely knew him, points out Roger.  I could have helped him, I think, says Barnabas. Nothing could have helped Paul, believe me, says Roger, who looks closely at Barn and asks, are you feeling well? Yes, of course, responds Barnabas. You look so worn, says Roger. Barnabas admits to a night of troubled sleep. What was the matter? asks Roger.  Nothing I can't handle, says Barnabas--Roger, have you been in town this morning?--there's been another murder--apparently the killer is no respecter of people and places--it happened in the police station--Sheriff Davenport is dead! Roger is shocked.

Roger expresses dismay that Davenport died the same way as Paul--how does something like that happen?--and this theory that the killer is a vicious animal is almost unbelievable, and yet... The killer IS an animal, pronounces Barnabas. You say that with some assurance says Roger.  Their discussion is interrupted by the ladies returning to the foyer. Barnabas tells Carolyn, I know how tragic this was for you--my condolences, Elizabeth. Shall we go, the car is waiting? suggests Liz. Left alone with Barnabas as the ladies exit, Roger asks Barnabas, don't mention the sheriff to the ladies; I'll tell them after the funeral--what kind of a monster could this be, wonders Roger, I wish I could understand! Barnabas looks depressed as he follows Roger out.

The Todds' antique shop is closed. Jeb returns there, looks at the sign, and lets himself in. Megan! he calls--Philip?  Alone, he looks pissed--they aren't supposed to leave without telling me, he says to himself, better learn to respect me and stop treating me as if I were Michael or Alexander--warn them to stop! He sees a piece of paper on the desk, and realizes they went to the funeral--Paul Stoddard's funeral. He grins.

Carolyn tosses a flower onto her father's coffin. She kneels, pressing her fist to her forehead. Roger, Barnabas and Liz surround her. Roger suggests they leave--this isn't doing her any good. Liz helps Carolyn to her feet. Soon there will be another grave, Roger quietly mutters to Barnabas--Sheriff Davenport. Barnabas looks guilty. Leave me here, insists Carolyn.  There's no need to stay now, insists Liz. Carolyn looks at her. Not for you, she says sadly. "Darling..." says Liz. He's here, says Carolyn, and I don't want to leave him alone. You must, her mother says. Do what you want, says Carolyn, near tears--let me do what I have to. Barnabas and Roger soberly gaze at her. "I could have saved him, Mother," says Carolyn. No one could, Liz says. That's what killed him, says Carolyn, people thinking that, I should have gone away with him, we would have been in New York now, I should have made him take Uncle Roger's money--he would have been alive. Now, Carolyn, cautions Roger. Carolyn walks away from them--I should never have let all of you tell me he was crazy, she laments.  Please! begs Roger. "I should have listened to him!" wails Carolyn--he was weak, confused, and didn't know what to do, we didn't help him enough!
Behind the grave of Jenny Collins, Jeb leers at his intended.  He smiles, and while he's kinda cute, it's not a pretty sight.

Carolyn, says Roger, we're going back to the house now. Wind blows her hair across her face as Carolyn, tears running down her cheeks, says, "And begin to forget--no, I won't! I won't ever, so don't ask me to, or expect it!" She walks off, Liz behind her, then Roger, then Barnabas.  Paul's grave awaits filling.

An angry Jeb sits down at the desk in the shop, brushing everything noisily off it.  He begins a game of solitaire and continually licks his lips (his snake heritage, one supposes). Barnabas enters the shop and asks what happened. "You're uptight, aren't you?" asks Jeb. (a blast from our past, folks! Uptight, everything is all right!) "You're wishing I were Michael--or didn't you like him, either?" I didn't come here to discuss my likes, says Barn--you sent for me--is there any news, have the police been here again? Why should they? asks Jeb--they were here after Stoddard's death, and found nothing. So you feel safe, says Barnabas--this shop is already suspect, something has happened here, they could come back again. I wouldn't care, says Jeb--the book doesn't say to like me, does it, but don't tell me, you'll start quoting the book.  He continues his card game. You resisted my advice, Barnabas reminds him, but listen to this--you are not to go up to your room again tonight, and if you do, don't change--I have less confidence than you have that the police won't be back. Jeb laughs, stands, faces Barnabas and says, "You're supposed to be head man around here, and you give me double-talk like that--that room is the safest place I can be, man, nobody can kill me up there--Paul Stoddard tried, you let the police come, no one can kill me--not even you. Barnabas looks uncertain. You haven't told them about me at Collinwood yet, have you? demands Jeb--you told Megan and Philip not to tell them, either--you're stalling--why?  The whole family is very upset, Barnabas reminds him. Perhaps, says Jeb, I can calm it. "I don't think so," says Barnabas, looking directly into his eyes. I sent for you, says Jeb, because they must know--and you must tell them. When I choose, insists Barnabas. You had better choose soon, advises Jeb--remember, Mr. Collins, we have ways of  controlling you. You're threatening me again? demands Barnabas. Not threatening, says Jeb, let's just say I punish you--I won't wait too long for Carolyn--tell me about her, has she ever been in love.  I don't care to discuss Carolyn here now, says Barnabas. Jeb stops him from leaving--do as I ask, he demands--has she ever been in love before? Barnabas tells him, "Before...she doesn't know you." You don't want her to, accuses Jeb. What I want has nothing to do with it, Barnabas, forget Carolyn now!  NO! shouts Jeb. You must, says Barnabas, by killing her father, you've given her more grief than she's ever known in her life!--and in addition, you've spoiled the whole plan--Paul Stoddard sold her to us and was going to give her away. I told you, you can give her away, says Jeb. The book won't allow me to do that, Barnabas reminds him. Incensed, Jeb tosses a chair to the floor, ordering, "FORGET ABOUT THE BOOK!" Allow her to recover, says Barn, give her time until... Until when? asks Jeb in a deadly voice. Until the time is better, says Barn. He gives Jeb dirty look, then turns on his heel and leaves, kicking one of the items Jeb shoved to the floor as he goes. After he exits the shop, Barnabas tells himself, I'll see to it that Carolyn's time never comes. He goes. Jeb childishly tosses another priceless antique to prove his point.

Liz works on some needlework in the drawing room. "Poor Mrs. Davenport," says Carolyn, "we must do everything we can to help her."--to think someone else is going through it now, just as I did.  Barnabas darts forward--you must go away, he urges his cousin. Liz looks up, surprised. Barnabas catches her look and says, why not?--it would do you so much good--go to New York, tonight, tomorrow morning. You can't be serious, says Liz. Carolyn needs a change of scene, says Barnabas.  I can't leave here now, says Carolyn.  Liz quickly agrees.  Elizabeth, it would be the best thing to do for Carolyn now, advises Barnabas.  Don't make me think, pleads Carolyn, not tonight. Barnabas urges her...  Carolyn stops him--I know you mean well, she says--there's only one thing I want to do now--call on Mrs. Davenport--I'm sure I can be of some help to her. I don't want you leaving the house tonight, protests Liz. I know what I must do, says Carolyn softly--no one is ever going to stop me from doing it again. She leaves.  Make her go to New York, Barnabas tells Liz.  You amaze me, she says--what good would it do for her to go? She needs a different life, he insists. Yes, agrees Liz, to become one of us--it would occupy her mind as it does mine. Barnabas looks evasive. She needs our sense of mission, continues Liz--Barnabas, make them receive her now. I can't do that, says Barnabas. You must, says Liz. It's not her time yet, says Barnabas--the book tells us when the time has come, and her time is not for months--and I won't hasten it. He walks away from her, leaving her alone with her confusion.

Antique shop - Carolyn writes Megan a note--I've been to Mrs. Davenport's, and stopped by to thank you for coming today--sorry to have missed you. Jeb comes downstairs quietly, sneaking up on her, and puts his hands over her eyes. She cries out, prying his hands away. "I frightened you," says Jeb, looking delighted. He introduces himself--I live upstairs--and you're Carolyn Stoddard. How do you know? she asks.  He chuckles, not answering. Where are the Todds? she asks.  Out, he answers.  She turns away from him.  Don't be frightened of me, he says. I have to be going, says Carolyn. No, he says, Megan and Philip told me so much about you. He brushes her shoulder with his fingers. You must forget about your father, he says. She gazes at him, astonished. "I will help you," he promises. I'm afraid no one can, she says. But you don't know me, he says, I know so many ways to help you, make you forget. She closes her eyes, then apologizes and says, I have to go.
He stops her, a hand on her shoulder. You don't look at me when you talk to me, says Jeb. She turns to face him. That's better, he remarks. "You're shy, I like that--I like that very much." She stares into his eyes, but then, when he tries a more intimate touch, says, "Goodbye."  Tell the Todds I left a note, she asks, please don't forget. He promises not to, ever. She leaves the shop, and he follows her outside, repeating, "Never...never."

8 PM, back at the shop (more sloppy editing), Barnabas tells Jeb, I thought the matter was settled. It is not, says Jeb defiantly. I don't know why Carolyn was here tonight, says Barn. Because she was destined to, says Jeb, just as she is destined to walk up those stairs and enter my room. "Your room?" asks Barnabas. Yes, Mr. Collins, says Jeb, I need company there. "And she will become as you are behind that closed door?" asks Barnabas--"I don't believe it."  There are many things in the book, says jeb--you'd better start believing that now--Carolyn will be the first so honored, and then each one of you will be able to take on any form. Barnabas asks, "And will we be as mindless as you are when we change?" Be careful, warns Jeb. Barnabas goes on, "And will we murder as you do?" If it is necessary, says Jeb.  You cannot have Carolyn, says Barnabas--the rest of us will face our fate as we will, but "YOU CANNOT HAVE HER!" "I can and I will!" shouts Jeb--"Friday there will be a wedding, a wedding between Carolyn and me!" And he goes upstairs, leaving a horrified Barnabas standing there.

NOTES: Cheap funeral for poor Paul. No Todds, Julia--where the heck was everyone? Oh, yeah, six people per episode, I forgot.

Some loved Jeb, others hated him. He became DS' latest heartthrob, although he didn't attain the fan base that either Frid or Selby commanded. I thought he was cool back then, very anti-establishment and "hip." His use of the teen vernacular--uptight, man, etc., made him a fun, wicked character in 1970.

Now we know what the mission of the Leviathans is--to convert everyone to Leviathan form and marry off Carolyn to Jeb. I think Joe Haskell was a much better choice for her, or better yet, Tony Peterson.

Another death in only a few days--RIP Sheriff Davenport. Was the George you were talking to Sheriff Patterson? Come on home, George, there's a vacancy in the department!

Great performances by Nancy Barrett as the grief-stricken Carolyn, Liz, , Barnabas, Julia, Jeb, Davenport, everyone did a grand job.

Carolyn already seems fascinated by Jeb, despite herself. Barnabas and Jeb are already behaving like a father and son with a very dysfunctional relationship. I always felt badly for Carolyn that her family expected her to sport a stiff upper lip in her overpowering grief, and applauded her speech about hypocrisy. So true!

937 - Collinwood foyer - David is sitting in a wheelchair, the victim of a broken right leg. You're coming along well, says Julia.  David hands Maggie a pen and asks her to sign his cast. Julia gives his hair a playful swipe and says, David asked me to sign it before it was even dry. Maggie kneels and signs the cast. In a month, boasts David, I bet there won't be any white spaces left--I never broken a bone before, Dr. Hoffman.  I wish you'd tell me how you did this. I told you before, says David.  Tell me again, urges Maggie--I still doesn't understand it!  I was riding my bike down Crown Street, says David--I got on the path--this man jumped out of the bushes. Who was the man? Maggie asks--what did he look like?  The man was tall, says David, with blond hair and "weird" eyes. Julia hears this and frowns. Why didn't he help you to the hospital? asks Maggie.  I don't know, says David--when I fell, the man just walked away. I'm glad Megan found you and took you to the hospital, says Maggie--but you shouldn't have been in town, what were you doing there?  I don't have to tell you everything, insists David. "Were you going to the antique shop? asks Julia. Why would I go there? asks David--I wish the two of you would leave me alone--it's going to heal, isn't it?--I want to go show Mrs. Johnson.  he wheels himself into the kitchen. Maggie tells Julia, I just doesn't understand it.

Antique shop - "JABEZ!" Barnabas calls upstairs, furious. Jeb, on the stairs, turns and faces him. "You will not marry Carolyn on Friday, Barn insists. YOU will stop ME? demands Jeb. Yes, I will, promises Barnabas. Jeb laughs--when I was a child, you gave me orders, and I hated it then, but there was nothing I could do--but now I can do anything I want!  Now you will still obey the orders! commands Barn--now that you killed her father, the wedding must be postponed until we see how the book allows for this situation--Paul was to give her away!!  "I have seen her--and I WANT her!" says Jeb--I told you before that you could give her to me. You may be right, says Barnabas, but according to the book Carolyn cannot be forced--she must want you, too.  Force means one thing to you, and another to me, says Jeb--"Now why are you so against our marrying--really?" We have many things to do before the time comes, says Barnabas--the book says that there must be a timetable. There is, says Jeb, pointing to his head, and it's right here, and we will follow it--Friday evening, there will be a wedding in my room, and afterwards, you will prepare rooms at Collinwood for us--you will do that. Collinwood is not my house, protests Barnabas. No, agrees Jeb, it is MINE, I have seen to that, and you will do that or I will go to Mrs. Stoddard. NO! says Barn. You will do as I tell you, says Jeb.
Barnabas stares into his eyes as though considering a refusal, but finally just nods and softly mutters assent. He starts to leave. After the wedding, says Jeb, Roger will become one of us. What if he can't be? asks Barn, there are those who can't, you know. Then he'll join the list of the expendables, says Jeb--there are a lot of people in that house I don't like--Dr. Hoffman--I think she's an enemy, don't you? She doesn't know enough to become an enemy, Barn points out. I've seen her, watching me, says Jeb, and you will think up a suitable fate for her--and that's an order! Then there's Maggie Evans. Maggie doesn't even know you, protests Barnabas, what threat could she possibly be? She was a threat to me as Michael, says Jeb, and will be a threat to me now--her parents are dead, so there will be no questions asked. Not true, you're wrong, says Barnabas. You will have to do some very clever thinking, says Jeb...Amy, I know she's one of us, but that was against my permission. You would even kill one of us? demands Barn. Yes, says Jeb, I'm not sentimental, she will have to go! He gives the spinning wheel a twirl, kneels, and adds, "The housekeeper,"  Mrs. Johnson will do as I say, Barnabas reminds him--as Mrs. Stoddard says! There will be other servants, I will see to that, says Jeb. "It is impossible!" shouts Barnabas. Jeb grabs Barnabas' coat and drags him down to the floor, on level with himself, getting right in his face and says, "I don't know what that word means, Mr. Collins, I only know that you have 12 hours to prepare for the wedding--or else!"  He smiles. "I know how difficult it must be to only exist at night--to feel the lust for blood, so that it drives you like an animal hunting for prey--and think of Josette, with Oberon and Haza standing guard over her--Haza can be much more cruel than I ever dreamed of--you know what you are supposed to do, what you are to make happen?" Beaten, Barnabas again nods, head bowed. "And you will not forget?" asks Jeb. Barnabas silently shakes his head, face hidden, ashamed. He rises to his feet and, without another word, leaves the shop. Jeb rises, too. Just as Barnabas opens the door, David wheels in. Barnabas, surprised, asks what happened. "You!" says David, noticing Jeb. Yes, me, says Jeb--welcome!  Why did you want to hurt me? asks David--"Barnabas, he's the one-I was on my bicycle and he jumped out of the bushes!"  Nodding at David's cast, Barnabas demands, "You are responsible for this?" Yes, says Jeb, stopping when he realizes Barnabas is about to leap at him. "I can do what I want now," brags the Leviathan brat, adding, "David must understand that I can be cruel as well as kind." "THERE WAS NO NEED FOR YOU TO HARM THIS BOY!" cries Barnabas. Jeb smiles directly at David and says, David and I will be very close, just as we were when I was Michael and Alexander--it's important David understand this, very important. David's eyes are locked with Jeb's.

Collinwood - Maggie reports to Julia, I can't find David anywhere. I haven't seen him, says Mrs. Johnson--where could he have gotten in a wheelchair?  I don't know, says Julia, but I have an idea--and she rises from the sofa. The front door opens; David rolls in. Where have you been? demands Maggie--you shouldn't have been out alone, you could have had another accident--I'll help you upstairs. I'll get myself upstairs, insists David--just hand me my crutches! Maggie turns to Julia.  He must learn it sooner or later, says the doctor.  She lifts the crutches off the foyer table and hands them to Maggie, who orders David, be careful on those stairs. Why would he be outside? Maggie asks Julia--sometimes I think something is happening to this house and everyone in it--David isn't the same little boy--I don't mean he's just growing up, it's more than that. Julia frowns.

David uses his crutches to enter his room. "Hello, David," says Jeb--let me help you.  Jeb takes his crutches and slides them under his bed, then sits down on the bed with David and asks, do you understand why I had to do what I did to you?  I do, says David solemnly. Good, says Jeb, I'm glad you do, even if Barnabas doesn't
--the two of us always understand each other. "You were Alexander and Michael, weren't you?" asks David. Jeb grins. Yes, he admits--I call myself Jeb now--and you will always do exactly as I tell you. Yes, agrees David.  Good, you're a good boy--you get an A, says Jeb, ruffling David's hair--remember the radio your father picked up in Boston for you? asks Jeb--you gave that to me, when I was Michael (actually, Alexander)--I knew  then how close we'd be, when you'd learned what you must, and now you have--so I am going to give you something. Jeb displays his leather watch.  That's neat, proclaims David.  Take it, says Jeb, as a graduation present. You don't have to give me anything, insists David.  Jeb removes the watch, revealing the telltale moon-shaped birthmark on his wrist. I want you to take it, says Jeb--and hands it to David. Maggie enters the room and stares at Jeb. "You're the one who caused his accident," accuses Maggie (how did she know?)--what are you doing here, how did you get in? Jeb stands to face her. "I'm Jeb Hawkes," he announces.

David watches the adults talk. Jeb just came in to see me, he explains to Maggie. Yes, I felt responsible says Jeb. How did you get up here? she asks--I didn't see you come in. I didn't want to disturb anyone, just see David, answers Jeb. You knew we wouldn't let you, Maggie says. Yes, says Jeb, I guessed that. You can leave now, says Maggie sharply--the boy needs his rest--I mean that! Sure, Miss Evans he says.  How do you know my name? she asks. I've heard about all of you, replies Jeb, who then exits the room. Maggie quickly tells David, I'll talk to you later.  David admires the new watch on his wrist.

Foyer - Neither David's father nor I will appreciate your visit, says Maggie--if you wanted to help, you should have done it when he fell. Julia, in the drawing room, listens in. You seem to think there's something sinister in my coming here, says Jeb, but there isn't--I always do what I want. Julia joins them.  You can verify that I'm loyal, kind and sometimes obedient, says Jeb--can't you, doctor? Maggie, surprised, asks, do you know each other? Yes, we met, says Jeb.  Julia eyes him sharply. "Although the doctor seems speechless now," adds Jeb.  I'm surprised to see you here, she says.  It's nice to see you again, says Jeb, although I must apologize for my rudeness at our first meeting. He offers Julia his right hand and she takes it, immediately noticing the moon-shaped scar. I can answer Miss Evans' questions, says Jeb. Yes, some of them, at least, says Julia, trying to cover. Jeb bids both women good night--we'll be seeing each other again, he promises.  He gives them an insolent grin as he leaves.  Maggie asks Julia, "Who IS he?" I wish I knew, answers Julia. He's frightening, insists Maggie--his eyes, the way he stared at me, reminded me of that terrible little Michael--why was he in David's room, why? You  must find out, says Julia. Maggie agrees--I will. She walks away.  Julia picks up the phone and dials Grant Douglas.

Jeb was just sorry, David explains to Maggie--Megan told him I broke my leg. He's a stranger, says Meggie--why didn't he come to the front door and ask about him the way a stranger would? He came in the back door, says David. That was wrong, says Maggie. He's different from other people, says David.  Maggie agrees. He shows her the watch Jeb gave him. She sits down on the bed to look at it--why did he give you that? she asks. Because he was sorry, repeats David--there's nothing wrong with that and you can't make me give it back--I like Jeb. Why? asks Maggie.  I don't have to tell you everything, says David.  Maggie assures him otherwise--tell!--I'm not leaving until you do; there's more to it than you're telling me

Julia answers Quentin's knock at the door. I need your help to solve the mystery of Jeb Hawkes, she explains. I never heard of him, says Quentin.  Julia murmurs something about the mystery or Paul Stoddard's death and the others. And you want me to play detective? asks Quentin. I don't want to talk about it here, says Julia--David and Amy are upstairs. You don't trust them? asks Quentin, chuckling. Not David, not the way he's behaved tonight, says Julia--please come with me, she begs--Barnabas helped you, you've got to help me. They leave.

You shouldn't talk that way about Jeb, David cautions Maggie. I don't understand, she says--he caused you to have an accident and you talk about him as if he were a hero. You mustn't hold him responsible, David insists. She touches his face--"You're frightened," she says. I'm not, says  David--not of Jeb, not now. What do you mean? asks Maggie, pouncing.  Not since he gave me this, says David, admiring his new watch.

We see the grave of one Michael Hackett, born 1957, died 1970. Julia stands there holding a flashlight; Quentin holds a shovel. (Looks like a grave-digging expedition to me). When I saw the birthmark on Jeb's wrist, explains Julia, I knew it was the same person as Alexander and Michael--we must dig up this grave. But you told me you saw Michael in his coffin, says Quentin. I did, agrees, Julia, but I'm learning not to trust what I see anymore--something so terrifying is going on, I'm sure the supernatural is involved. You think they buried him, then tried to resurrect him? asks Quentin. I'm not sure, admits Julia--I think so. If what you think is true, says Quentin what will you do? I won't know until I find out, says Julia. Here goes, says Quentin, and begins to dig.

Collinwood drawing room - I couldn't sleep, Barnabas tells Maggie--I took David to the door and tried to... You found David? asks Maggie--you brought him home? Yes, says Barn, I found him at the antique store.  Why was David there, asks Maggie--who is this Jeb Hawkes?
I wish I could answer your questions, says Barnabas, but I can't--there's something equally important on my mind--I'm very concerned about Carolyn. I am, too, admits Maggie. I tried to get her to leave Collinsport, says Barnabas, forget her father and go somewhere else (amazing how everything thinks it so easy to FORGET a deceased loved one), but she won't. I tried, too, says Maggie.  We think alike, says Barnabas, his face softening--you don't know how gratifying it is to find that out--I don't think the antique shop is quite the answer for Carolyn, and now that Jeb is there, I'm frankly afraid. He rises from the sofa. I just have a feeling, says Barnabas--I know he's interested in her, asks about her, I have the feeling it's more than just a casual relationship--since you and Carolyn are such great friends, discourage her from going there, advises Barnabas.  Maggie rises, too--it means a great deal to you in some way I don't understand, she says--I'll try to do everything I can. They look at each other, a mutual understanding forged.

Quentin has dug up Michael's grave. He opens the coffin, dirt falling from the lid.
Julia shines the flashlight on the interior...

We've known each other for so long, Barnabas, says Maggie, and yet I never felt you were so concerned about the family. "I'm concerned about all of you," says Barnabas. She smiles--I'll do everything I can about Carolyn, she promises. Thank you, he says.  We sense a definite romantic spark between them. I should go check on David and make sure he's asleep, says Maggie, I don't trust Jeb. You're very wise he says.  She leaves. Barnabas wonders--am I wrong involving her, even to the extent I have?--but I must have help to end this... He goes into the foyer and looks upstairs. Julia enters--I must speak to you immediately, she says. I'm tired, complains Barnabas.  I won't be put off again, insists Julia--you've got to listen to me this time. I will not, he says--I told you not to involve yourself.  I'm already involved, says Julia, more so than before--I just dug up Michael Hackett's grave, and found an empty coffin. He gazes at her, startled. What does that mean to you? she asks. Nothing, he says, turning away. I'll tell you what it means to me, she insists--I pronounced Michael dead two weeks ago, I'd have sworn he was dead, but for some reason it had to be faked that he was dead--I don't know how, but I do know why--"In fact, I know so much about what is happening," proclaims Julia, "that you had better tell me everything."  Barnabas faces her and knows the jig is up--"All right, Julia, I will tell you the whole story," he promises.

NOTES: David Henesy really did break his leg, skiing, I believe, and they fit it into the storyline.

I guess Julia can't ever do her own digging, she always asks Stokes or Quentin to do the dirty work. That always struck me funny.

What will Barnabas reveal to Julia--the truth or more falsehoods?  Viewers were not liking the nasty, non-vampire Barnabas and were writing in and saying so, plus ratings were slipping after the highly popular 1897 storyline.  This is one reason why the evil Barn is now turning back into a true hero.

Love, Robin