Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0305  (Read 895 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #0305
« on: September 22, 2012, 03:59:12 AM »
Robservations - #305

And if you'd care to look back, the first WP discussion topic for this ep:
Re: Discuss - Ep #0305

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2012, 09:50:04 AM »
We didn't see Vicky's response to Burke's firmly worded request that she stay away from Barnabas Collins.  Shame on the writers!

I keep reading lori54’s comments from 2007 about how good the scenes are between Barnabas and Julia, and then I read (having never read them before) the letters from Jonathan Frid to his mother in which he still at this point believes that Barnabas will have a limited run on the show.  And it seems to me that Grayson Hall, despite her legion of adoring fans, doesn't get enough credit.  Am I correct in thinking that it wasn't until Julia came along that Dark Shadows management started thinking “We’d be fools to put an end to this”?

Julia's good for Barnabas, by the way.  He's talking to her voluntarily about what's bothering him.  She's making him feel human.

I noticed the dead bush in this episode again, and wondered: Why is it there?  The set is full of fake plants.  Why did they use a fake dead bush?

Does Sarah have any feeling for the three coffins in the mausoleum?  She told David to climb up onto her mother's coffin.  Did that not give her a weird feeling?

IluvBarnabas

« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2012, 02:25:32 PM »
I agree, Lydia, I too would have loved to have seen Vicki's reaction to Burke's request (or is that demand?) that she keep away from Barnabas and the Old House. I can't see her agreeing to that without asking for a reason why, even though Burke insisted he couldn't give her one.

Barnabas feels the experiments may be doing more harm to him than good. Well, Julia never promised he wouldn't feel any effect from them, regardless of whether it would feel good or numb or a bit painful. As Robin said, perhaps he should have thought of that before he agreed to let her work on him.

I always wondered the reasoning behind Sarah's showing David the secret room...I know she has the mindset of a child, but did it not occur to her she may be placing his life in danger by showing him this? Things can happen that can set off a chain reaction....

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2012, 06:43:44 PM »
IluvBarnabas, I don't think Sarah is capable of thinking about chain reactions at this point.  (I can't say about the future, because I'm in the middle of revising my ideas about Sarah, and must wait to see what I make of things.)  Sarah came onto the scene because of Maggie, and her existence was largely centered around Maggie until she learned that Maggie didn't remember her anymore.  I think she is still cosmically obliged to protect Maggie, but other than that she feels free to look around and find people to assuage her loneliness.  And that's as far as she gets in her thinking - for now.

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2012, 08:21:40 PM »
I guess the writers wanted to keep us in suspense about the outcome of Burke's peremptory orders to Vicki. But it would have been fun to see Vicki give him an argument for a change.

Maybe Sarah simply doesn't associate the tombs with her parents, or at least not directly. She's looking for her friends (and relatives), but she probably assumes they're somewhere on the same plane of existence as she is, and all she has to do is find them. Still, it is a bit strange that she has David stand on her mother's tomb. She probably doesn't even realize that she's dead, much less a ghost.

And I don't think Sarah has any idea that she might be putting David in any danger--she's just achingly lonely. Her main motive for bringing him to the cemetery is to keep him with her a little while longer, and the best way to do that is to get him curious--after all, who can resist a secret? And David thought the first one she told him--that Maggie Evans was alive--was a real humdinger.

Our first sight of Sarah is in connection with Maggie, but I suspect she was watching Barnabas for a while before that. His behavior must be utterly incomprehensible to her.

My notes indicate that when Julia arrives at the Old House, Barnabas remains seated as he says with great formality, "I apologize for not rising to greet you, but I’m not feeling well." Even though he threatens to kill her in every other sentence, he has already started treating her less like a servant. You can take the vampire out of the eighteenth century, but you can't take the eighteenth century out of the vampire! Even so, he still finds her self-assurance extremely annoying. But even that annoyance is a very human response.

Great ending as David finally helps Sarah raise the coffin lid and they stare down into the coffin….

Offline alwaysdavid

• Senior Poster
  • My journey is beginning,
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2012, 09:37:36 PM »
David doesn't seem as adventurous as he was or as fond of ghost hunting. It's really light in the cemetery considering it has to be after dark.
Barnabas informs Willie he might have to take care of Julia.

you know there's a whole wing that's closed off all the time; the west wing, I go there lots of times

Offline dom

• Long Lost Cousin Returned
  • Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2012, 09:48:47 PM »
I really liked the soft rubber tree trunk and the hair glue. I'm only sorry I missed the fake dead bush.

Everything else was pretty much more of the same. I kept thinking that this was a dull Friday cliffhanger show, but maybe by now the schedule had been altered by an assassination or some other typical '60s tragedy. This episode was pretty boring.

It is interesting to think about just how much Grayson played a role in the show's survival. She really is fun to watch and makes Barnabas a much more interesting character. Usually those who know Barn's a vampire are afraid of him and are his servants so there isn't much for him to do as himself but order and threaten (and that gets so old so fast). So now we have Julia and Sarah to bring out his human qualities. And yes the injections make it physically possible.

I just don't know if it's the actors or the writers that should get the credit.

I've gone back and forth with Sarah so many times that I now totally dislike the character and can't wait for her to be gone, and her little song too. Just what does being a ghost do for you other than bring you back from the great beyond? Does she even know she's a ghost or even dead? Is everything she knows what she knew before she died or does being a ghost afford her knowledge unbeknownst to her while living. It is really hard for me to make sense of the character. The only thing that makes sense to me is that she is a little girl first and a ghost second with no special powers of any kind other than materializing and disappearing at will.

And the Emmy goes to the fake dead bush.

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2012, 10:17:58 PM »
Sarah always has been one of my favorite characters. We will see evidence of her powers not too long from now.

According to the Watching Project thread, this episode originally aired Friday, August 25, 1967, close to the end of the Summer of Love. I had long hair and hippie beads and thought I was the cat's meow.  [ghost_grin]

According to a site called historyorb, these are a few of the world events that happened that day.

The next year, 1968, was when all hell broke lose. RFK and MLK were assassinated, Nixon invaded Cambodia, and students were killed at Kent State (Ohio) and Jackson State (Mississippi).

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2012, 10:47:02 PM »
Weren't the Kent State shootings in 1970?

dom's comments always make me smile.  I think Sharon Smyth is a lovely adult, but Sarah really gets on my nerves.[spoiler]I also think certain developments involving Sarah's ghost show very sloppy work on the part of the writers:  Sarah was fond of Dr. Woodard but did nothing to prevent his death; she was very angry with Julia, but nevertheless finally appeared to Barnabas to stop him from killing Julia.[/spoiler]

Then again, some or all of it may have been dictated by D. C. and if anyone protested, you know what the response was:  "Are you writing the show, or not?  I can get lots of people who are interested in writing the show... you know."  *rolls eyes*

G.

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2012, 10:59:20 PM »
You're right about Kent State! But 1968 had the Democratic National Convention in Chicago, which ended up being a police riot. And Nixon was elected in 1968. Just thinking about him addles my memory, I guess.  [ghost_embarrassed]