Author Topic: Grayson Hall, Glamour Goddess!  (Read 2004 times)

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
Grayson Hall, Glamour Goddess!
« on: May 07, 2003, 04:03:29 PM »
Well, this a.m. I had the show on again while getting ready for work.  I turned around to see Grayson come in the room and my jaw dropped.  That black coat with the black fur collar and the little touch of color with the scarf has got to rate as one of Julia's most fabou ensembles to date!  She simply SCREAMED glamour!  The coat had kind of a Weimar look to it... the hair of course was the summit of Sixties glamour.

I love the scenes between Julia and Stokes in these episodes.  What a pity Thayer had to take time off again to make a movie (I think that's why he disappears for a couple of months around this point).  I always thought Grayson and Thayer played off one another so beautifully.

Also LOVE the actress who played Mrs. Hutchins.  What was her name?  This is the first of 3 roles she played on DS.  I believe she was in hoDS as Mrs. Pettibone, too.  (One of my pal Nicky's fave characters!)

Gothick

Offline Luciaphile

• ** Collinsport Commentator **
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Re:Grayson Hall, Glamour Goddess!
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2003, 06:45:21 PM »
Camilla Ashland. She's got a part coming up in another storyline too. She's a hoot, isn't she?
"Some people ask their god for answers to their spiritual questions. For everything else, there is Google." --rpcxdr-ga

Offline Julia99

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
  • My Fans are Legion
    • View Profile
    • Barnabas & Company
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2003, 10:20:12 PM »
Now I really rhue the fates for giving me an apartment withOUT Cable. .I mean, if Grayson of all gals is titled "Glamour Goddess". . .its just wrong that i should miss it!

My favorite DrJ ensemble is way out in the after 1995 flashforward.  One day she just saunters into the  Drawing Room wearing this fabulous orange sweater & scarf and a hip belt with a chord hanging down her thigh . . .It was a --turn the head moment--wait!  What is she wearing, that's actually hip. . . But the next scene they've put some dreary jacket over it. . . Somewhere DC was yelling "hey!  That's  not a spinster lady doctor look! Cover it up!"

Julia99

ClaudeNorth

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2003, 12:56:05 AM »
I wish I had taped it!!!!

Your mention of 'Weimar' brings to mind another aspect of the alternate DS universe of my dreams.  I envision Julia as a doctor by day, nightclub/cabaret performer by night, out-Dietriching Dietrich and often performing songs of the Weimar era.  Naturally, she would perform at the Blue Angel (the Blue Whale renamed) and have a devoted following among "les boys" of Collinsport.

With CGI technology rapidly advancing, one day I might actually be able to see it!  <lol>

Regards,

John

Offline Brian

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2003, 03:38:56 AM »
LOVE the actress who played Mrs. Hutchins.  What was her name?  This is the first of 3 roles she played on DS.  I believe she was in hoDS as Mrs. Pettibone, too.  (One of my pal Nicky's fave characters!

FYI, Camila Ashland later appeared in "V" the miniseries, parts one and two.  She has a small role in part one, but a substantial--and surprising--role in part two.  I have to admit, I bought the DVD of part two only because I knew she was featured.   ;)

Offline Julia99

• Senior Poster
  • My Fans are Legion
    • View Profile
    • Barnabas & Company
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2003, 01:09:41 PM »
I envision Julia as a doctor by day, nightclub/cabaret performer by night, out-Dietriching Dietrich and often performing songs of the Weimar era.  Naturally, she would perform at the Blue Angel (the Blue Whale renamed) and have a devoted following among "les boys" of Collinsport.

John

John you need to check out the JList. . there are i think 2 stories along this line. . . ;D
Julia99

ClaudeNorth

« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2003, 03:27:22 PM »
What is the JList, and where do I find it?

John

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2003, 04:03:27 PM »
Homepage for the Julia List (the name was changed a couple of years back to Julia B and J list, an unspeakably cumbersome locution the point of which I find strangely elusive)--fans refer to it as the J List for short, and please, no comments about J-Ho:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Julia-B-and-JList/

It is mainly fanfic and chatter; only occasionally does a post touch upon Grayson and other aspects of her career beyond her roles in DS.

John, do you have the audio tape of Grayson performing in Happy End?  She did sing a Bertolt Brecht song in that, The Ballad of the Lily of Hell.  It's more Lotte Lenya than Dietrich.  And she is FABULOUS in it.

Steve

ClaudeNorth

« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2003, 03:19:27 AM »
John, do you have the audio tape of Grayson performing in Happy End?  She did sing a Bertolt Brecht song in that, The Ballad of the Lily of Hell.  It's more Lotte Lenya than Dietrich.  And she is FABULOUS in it.

NO!!  I never even knew that it existed!  Was it a commercial release, or just something that has circulated amongst the Graysonites?  That is something I definitely need to hear!

Regards,

John

Offline Miss_Winthrop

• Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2003, 09:31:42 PM »
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Julia-B-and-JList/

It is mainly fanfic and chatter; only occasionally does a post touch upon Grayson and other aspects of her career beyond her roles in DS.

Steve

A web-site devoted to everything about Grayson? This is so gooood!  I'll definitely have to check it out ;D

I have heard of the name of Lotte Lenya a long, long time ago.  I'm sure my father or mother talked about her.  I gather she is or was a noted singer from the WWII era?
One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.
~Virginia Woolf

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2003, 11:13:11 PM »
Lotte Lenya was a singer in Germany during the period between the World Wars.  She was a cabaret-style singer with a sexy alto voice.  She was married to (and the muse of) the composer Bertolt Brecht, probably best known for "The Threepenny Opera" and "Mahagonny"
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline Julia99

• Senior Poster
  • My Fans are Legion
    • View Profile
    • Barnabas & Company
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2003, 01:26:36 PM »
A web-site devoted to everything about Grayson? This is so gooood!  I'll definitely have to check it out ;D

There are  2 more sites devoted to exclusively Grayson and/or the character of Julia.  .

Remembering Grayson at
http://hometown.aol.com/lynn1dave/index.htm

Enjoy!  [hello]

or

http://www.juliahoffman.com/
Julia99

Offline Misty

• Full Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2003, 02:56:46 PM »
 ::) I must agree with Gothick that Grayson Hall and Thayer David have a chemistry that screams out when they play a scene together. I have even visualized a scenario in which Thayer is the vampire she becomes attracted to. Their pairing in scenes is second only to the Roger/Liz encounters in my mind.
                                                                       Misty
" Small things amuse small minds"--------at least my students have been led to believe!