Author Topic: The Good Son  (Read 2994 times)

Offline Debra

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
The Good Son
« on: May 06, 2003, 09:09:23 PM »
You know Ive been trying to figure out who Michael reminds me of and then it finally came to me!!  MCAULEY CALKIN of the GOOD SON!  [devil]

Man, that kid was evil in that moved and the two of them could have passed for brothers, not only in personalities, but in the looks department too.  [devil]

Deb

Offline Cassandra

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
Re:The Good Son
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2003, 09:12:01 AM »
They do seem to have alot in common.  They're both evil, blonde & cute! ;)

Cassandra
"Calamity Jane"

Offline jennifer

• DSF God
  • we'll always love you Don!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2003, 01:06:02 PM »
You know Ive been trying to figure out who Michael reminds me of and then it finally came to me!!  MCAULEY CALKIN of the GOOD SON!  [devil]

Man, that kid was evil in that moved and the two of them could have passed for brothers, not only in personalities, but in the looks department too.  [devil]

Deb
oh i forgot about that movie but i think you are right!
that kid was pretty creepy too but i think next to "Talking Tina" in the t zone(she was only a doll too!)
Patty McCormick in The Bad Seed  frightened me as a kid more.

jennifer
we are the champions!!!!
 2007 Boston Red Sox
PAV

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2003, 10:10:11 PM »
The Bad Seed.  That's what I keep thinking of during the whole Michael segment.  "What will you give me for a basket of kisses?"  And I could easily see Grayson Hall playing Eileen Heckart's part.  "I didn't know you had all these important social obligations."  Patty McCormick was outstanding as the murderous little girl.  Of course, she was equally creepy as the young Baby Jane Hudson.

Gerard

Offline jennifer

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2003, 06:04:09 AM »
The Bad Seed.  That's what I keep thinking of during the whole Michael segment.  "What will you give me for a basket of kisses?"  And I could easily see Grayson Hall playing Eileen Heckart's part.  "I didn't know you had all these important social obligations."  Patty McCormick was outstanding as the murderous little girl.  Of course, she was equally creepy as the young Baby Jane Hudson.

Gerard

i forgot she played that! she was a wonderful child actress
and when she kills the other student for a stupid medal in The Bad Seed sent chills down the spine.!loved today though when they locked micheal in his "Room" and megan points out how strong he getting and Phillip goes and gets a bigger bolt!

jennifer
we are the champions!!!!
 2007 Boston Red Sox
PAV

Offline Debra

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2003, 08:51:46 PM »

and when she kills the other student for a stupid medal in The Bad Seed sent chills down the spine.!loved today though when they locked micheal in his "Room" and megan points out how strong he getting and Phillip goes and gets a bigger bolt!
jennifer

That was some movie!  That little girl sent chills up my spine too!   Didn't she kill him with her lovely little shoes? And then a neighbor found them in the garbage dump so she finished him off too?  Been a long time since I saw this one but I remember it was spinechilling.

Deb

Offline Debra

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2003, 08:54:49 PM »
They do seem to have alot in common.  They're both evil, blonde & cute! ;)

Cassandra

You're right about that Cassandra.  They could have almost passed for brothers IMO!    I think it's so much more chilling when you see a child behaving this way because you wonder what will he be like when he gets older?  Scary!

Deb

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2003, 01:54:50 AM »

jennifer

That was some movie!  That little girl sent chills up my spine too!   Didn't she kill him with her lovely little shoes? And then a neighbor found them in the garbage dump so she finished him off too?  Been a long time since I saw this one but I remember it was spinechilling.

Deb

You've got a good memory, Deb, from not seeing it in a long time.  That's exactly what happened.  The one who found the shoes was the janitor of the complex where she and her mother were living (her father was away in military service).  "You know what they do with little girls like you?  They fry you!"  "You...give...me...back...those...shoes!"

Gerard

Offline jennifer

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2003, 05:46:28 AM »

You've got a good memory, Deb, from not seeing it in a long time.  That's exactly what happened.  The one who found the shoes was the janitor of the complex where she and her mother were living (her father was away in military service).  "You know what they do with little girls like you?  They fry you!"  "You...give...me...back...those...shoes!"

Gerard

that was a great scene by the time he saw how evil she really was it was too late for him!

jennifer
we are the champions!!!!
 2007 Boston Red Sox
PAV

Offline ProfStokes

• * Ingenious Intellect *
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2003, 06:19:59 AM »
The one who found the shoes was the janitor of the complex where she and her mother were living (her father was away in military service).  "You know what they do with little girls like you?  They fry you!"  "You...give...me...back...those...shoes!"

that was a great scene by the time he saw how evil she really was it was too late for him!

Alas, poor Leroy!  Somehow I kept picturing John Karlen in that role although I did think the actor who already had the part did a fine job.  I really enjoyed the interplay between his character and Rhoda.  The above mentioned scene in particular was one of my favorites!  Patty McCormack took on such an evil personality and it was admirable how well she could hold her own against the adults.  After just one viewing, The Bad Seed quickly became one of my favorite movies. [diablo]

ProfStokes

Offline Cassandra

• Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2003, 07:57:02 AM »
The Bad Seed was one of my favorites!  You all are right about that little girl, she was a terror if I ever saw one.

Wasn't this version a remake of the original one?  I somehow remember watching an old movie in B & W called "The Bad Seed."   I don't recall the year, it could have been 1940 something, or later, but Im not sure?  I do remember the little girl who played "Rhoda" was a little blonde girl in pigtails.  I remember thinking to myself why they picked a dark haired girl for the remake?  I remember it was a good movie although not a chilling as the remake.
Does anyone remember this one?

Cassandra
"Calamity Jane"

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2003, 09:28:18 AM »
You've got me stumped, Cassandra.  The only version I recall is the Patty McCormick one.  I know it was an adaptation of the play, and censors demanded that it be changed at the end (the climax of the play was far darker), including making the addition of the "curtain call" which is at the same time annoying and intriguing.

Gerard

Offline Cassandra

• Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2003, 10:24:48 AM »
You've got me stumped, Cassandra.  The only version I recall is the Patty McCormick one.  I know it was an adaptation of the play, and censors demanded that it be changed at the end (the climax of the play was far darker), including making the addition of the "curtain call" which is at the same time annoying and intriguing

Okay, now I realize what happened. The movie I was referring to was made in 1985 and starred David Carradine as Leroy and Carrie Wells as Rhoda who had dark hair.   I went and looked it up and this one was apparently the remake.  I saw both the original the remake and thought both of them were good, although I thought the original to be more chilling maybe because it was made in b & w.

Thanks Gerard!

Cassandra
"Calamity Jane"

Offline jennifer

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2003, 09:30:35 PM »
You've got me stumped, Cassandra.  The only version I recall is the Patty McCormick one.  I know it was an adaptation of the play, and censors demanded that it be changed at the end (the climax of the play was far darker), including making the addition of the "curtain call" which is at the same time annoying and intriguing

Okay, now I realize what happened. The movie I was referring to was made in 1985 and starred David Carradine as Leroy and Carrie Wells as Rhoda who had dark hair.   I went and looked it up and this one was apparently the remake.  I saw both the original the remake and thought both of them were good, although I thought the original to be more chilling maybe because it was made in b & w.

Thanks Gerard!

Cassandra

it's hard to remake these things Patty M's Rhoda was one of the best performances for a child i've ever viewed IMHO.
i agree Prof S it is on my list of all time favorites!

jennifer
we are the champions!!!!
 2007 Boston Red Sox
PAV

Offline Debra

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2003, 09:59:29 PM »

Thanks Gerard!

Cassandra

Cassandra,  I know which one you are talking about,  I saw that same movie also.  You are right, it was around 1985 sometime and I remember it distinctly because the child who played Rhoda looked alot like a little girl in my daughter's elementary class at school!!  Scary thought huh!

If I remember, it was a pretty good movie in itself and that little dark haired girl (Carrie Wells) played such an evil Rhoda. Patty McCormick was good too, but IMO, she had such an innocent face, Carrie Wells looked just plain evil!!!   ;)

Deb