Author Topic: TLAKLS Speaks re Fest  (Read 4113 times)

Offline victoriawinters

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
  • Total ENFJ Geek!
    • View Profile
    • victoriawinters.net
TLAKLS Speaks re Fest
« on: May 05, 2003, 08:44:51 AM »
well since no one has posted this yet, thought i'd start.  one of the theories of why the fest was stopping was because the actors/actresses were tired and didn't want to have a three day fest each year.  (not to say they won't have somekind of event as stated by pansyfaye but we don't know what yet.)

well that myth flies out the door with the lastest news statement on stuart's web page from TLAKLS.  here is the click.

very lovely of her to say something i think.  and i'm sorry too because i just don't think you should treat your talent that way and let them be the last to know.  IMO, i think it's rude.

thanks stuart for the update to your page!

Offline Annie

• DSF God
    • View Profile
Re:TLAKLS Speaks re Fest
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2003, 11:24:51 AM »
Hello Victoria Winters i agree with you!!
Just read about it yesterday on Stuart's board.
              Love Anne 8)
"Never Give Up On Your Dreams "I Didn't So Don't
You"    By Barry Manilow

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2003, 03:04:29 PM »
Well, I don't shock easily, but I must say that as someone who plans a lot of events myself in my own community, I'm simply staggered that nobody on the Festival committee had the courtesy to call or email the actors and let them know ahead of time about a decision of this magnitude.

I had also always thought that the actors were kept in the loop of the date planning for each year's Festival.  Another illusion shattered.

Given these revelations, I'm starting to think it might be just as well to say "Farewell" to the current Festival committee and let folks who know how to do their jobs take over.  (Just my opinion, quite honestly... I know it's been a thankless job for years, but if you're not going to do it right, why bother?  which presumably is the line of thinking that led to declaring this year the "Farewell" Festival.)

I do like KLS' spin on it as being like when a character would say "farewell" on the series and then the same actor would reappear shortly thereafter in a new role!

Gothick

Offline CrazyJenny

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2003, 03:52:30 PM »
I assure you Gothick that most of the comittee (if not all) had no idea the fests were ending.  I had no clue until ProfStokes IMed me on aol about it.  I contacted 3 of my friends on the comittee and they didn't know until I told them.  There may have been a few who were included in the decision but it was not a group effort.
"PEOPLE CAN FORGET WHAT YOU SAY AND WHAT YOU DO BUT THEY WILL NEVER FORGET HOW YOU MADE THEM FEEL."

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2003, 04:58:34 PM »
According to the SG update Tim just posted, what's ending is the 3-day convention format.  Yet the festival site calls the next one "the final DS Festival".  If you ask me, the spin they're putting on these announcements is terribly confusing.

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2003, 05:22:42 PM »
Jenny, thanks for letting us know that the decision to make this year's event a "Farewell" was the decision of a few (or perhaps only one?) member(s) of the Festival committee.

Just thinking of all the flak the rest of you are catching from upset fans and celebrities makes my head ache!

Thank you for all your efforts on behalf of this beleaguered event.  It's obviously one that means a great deal to a great many people.

Sincerely,

Steve (Gothick)

Offline Debra

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2003, 09:45:05 PM »
Thank you Victoria Winters for posting this.  I had no idea that the actors/actresses didn't have a clue to the fest ending either.  This is really sad. I would think they would have been the first to know, not certainly the last!!  What a mean thing to do.
Deb >:(

Offline Stuart

• Full Poster
  • Can you smell chips?
    • View Profile
    • Dark Shadows Journal Online
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2003, 12:23:03 PM »
According to the SG update Tim just posted, what's ending is the 3-day convention format.  Yet the festival site calls the next one "the final DS Festival".  If you ask me, the spin they're putting on these announcements is terribly confusing.

TBH, I think there's a more than a little back-pedalling going on here.  I guess the fan reation was stronger than they expected and the new, less definite tact is an attempt to placate a lot of upset people.
http://darkshadowsnews.blogspot.com | The Dark Shadows News Page
http://www.collinwood.net | Visit the Dark Shadows Journal Online

Offline CrazyJenny

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2003, 03:12:43 PM »
Jenny, thanks for letting us know that the decision to make this year's event a "Farewell" was the decision of a few (or perhaps only one?) member(s) of the Festival committee

Not a poblem.  Believe me, if there had been more people involved I don't think things would have turned out this way.
"PEOPLE CAN FORGET WHAT YOU SAY AND WHAT YOU DO BUT THEY WILL NEVER FORGET HOW YOU MADE THEM FEEL."

Offline jennifer

• DSF God
  • we'll always love you Don!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2003, 08:46:28 PM »
Wow she sounds so nice in all her interviews!still hope to get there this year!

jennifer
we are the champions!!!!
 2007 Boston Red Sox
PAV

Offline Philippe Cordier

• (formerly known as Vlad)
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2003, 12:32:41 AM »
You know, it could have been handled much worse.

They could have made a surprise announcement at the upcoming festival that it would be the last one.

:-X

"Collinwood is not a healthy place to be." -- Collinsport sheriff, 1995

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2003, 02:11:28 AM »
Guess it occured to them that they might be ripped limb from limb if they made a "suprise" announcement in front of all those fans.  >:(

"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline victoriawinters

• Senior Poster
  • Total ENFJ Geek!
    • View Profile
    • victoriawinters.net
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2003, 04:55:03 AM »
Guess it occured to them that they might be ripped limb from limb if they made a "suprise" announcement in front of all those fans.  >:(

They still may not be safe.... ;)

Offline CastleBee

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2003, 05:22:04 PM »
If you ask me, the spin they're putting on these announcements is terribly confusing.
It almost seems to me that this "farewell fest" idea might be connected with the earlier uprising against the change of the festival date to Labor Day weekend.  I tend to be cynical about more and more as time goes by so I'm sure I could be wrong.  Based on the one fest I've attended ('01) and the size of the crowd, it certianly doesn't seem they would ever have to resort to a "last chance get it while it lasts" ad campaign.   [deal2]
“There is something haunting in the light of the moon; it has all the dispassionateness of a disembodied soul, and something of its inconceivable mystery." ~ Joseph Conrad

Offline MsCriseyde

• Senior Poster
  • Even the name reeks of Ohrbach's!
    • View Profile
    • Criseyde's David Selby Site
« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2003, 06:28:44 PM »
I guess the fan reation was stronger than they expected and the new, less definite tact is an attempt to placate a lot of upset people.

I think it would be fair to guess that the actors -- since they only received word by virtue of the fact that fans contacted KLS who then apparently began to inform her castmates within the past few days -- may also require a bit of placating.

I guess they really don't read all the Dark Shadows message boards, email lists, and web sites after all.  ;D

Dark Shadows Alumni Movies (Includes a DS News page.)