Author Topic: About Amanda's Photos.......  (Read 2822 times)

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
About Amanda's Photos.......
« on: May 02, 2003, 08:44:04 PM »
You know.....I've been reading posts that refer to Amanda's photos being all over the place ever since she appeared on the scene.  It's always implied that it must signify an enormous conceit.  And I wondered why the writers or the directors would bother with such a silly attempt at humor.

But now that we've heard the story of her encounter with Mr. Best.....I think the photos have a more significant role.

I think the photos are there as a visual reminder of the Faustian Bargain she made with 'death'....not as some set decorators idea of a visual 'joke'.   I think Amanda never allows herself to forget that time is running out, despite the fact that she remains as untouched as those photos.
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline Cassandra Blair

• Full Poster
  • Hey sailor, how 'bout I light your Lucky?
    • View Profile
Re:About Amanda's Photos.......
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2003, 09:30:12 PM »
Wow Raineypark, I never thought of that before.  It's really an interesting theory, and food for thought.  It certainly presents a more poignant and sympathetic take on Amanda's character than most fans seem to attribute to her.

While the idea of living your entire natural life span young and beautiful is appealing on a certain level, it might also be lonely, couldn't it?  Watching other people around you age, and after a certain point you'd just be alone, what would that be like?  You couldn't really couple with anyone for life, because you'd never be able to explain why you never age without them thinking you're nuts.  No wonder she searched all those years for Quentin, knowing that he's one of the few who could understand.
My lady abandoned heaven, abandoned earth...to Ray's Wig World she descended.

Offline Anubis

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Junior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2003, 05:46:29 AM »

I think the photos are there as a visual reminder of the Faustian Bargain she made with 'death'....not as some set decorators idea of a visual 'joke'.   I think Amanda never allows herself to forget that time is running out, despite the fact that she remains as untouched as those photos.

I thought the very same thing today while I was watching.  This is the third time, I think, that I saw this storyline and always thought that she was just vain. But today I saw it differently.  What still bugs me is the ugly yellow tint to the photos.

Offline Miss_Winthrop

• Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2003, 02:20:35 PM »
Amanda/Olivia's storyline is so tragic when you look at the possibility of a deeper meaning then just her ego at stake. She didn't ask to be what she is but has had to live with the cards she was dealt.  She is perfectly suited to be Quentin's soul-mate IMHO.

As a side note: Donna McKecknie(sp) was the lead dancer I believe in a show called 'Hullabaloo' from the mid-60's.  We've seen some of the videos and she is quite talented at least as far as the dancing goes. It's too bad that they had those huge eyelashes on her for Dark Shadows since she was so naturally pretty.
One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.
~Virginia Woolf

Offline Luciaphile

• ** Collinsport Commentator **
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2003, 02:54:18 PM »
That's a very interesting interpretation, Rainey. I never thought about it like that before.

I'm not sure though that it makes me like the character any better. She's shallow because she was made that way, but it doesn't do a lot to make the characterization sympathetic.
"Some people ask their god for answers to their spiritual questions. For everything else, there is Google." --rpcxdr-ga

Offline Bette

• Full Poster
  • Quentin, you have no future.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2003, 06:34:38 PM »
As a side note: Donna McKecknie(sp) was the lead dancer I believe in a show called 'Hullabaloo' from the mid-60's.  We've seen some of the videos and she is quite talented at least as far as the dancing goes. It's too bad that they had those huge eyelashes on her for Dark Shadows since she was so naturally pretty.

She certainly was a talented dancer and she can still do some of the steps. In her show she talks about Hullabaloo-it's where she first met Michael Bennett. As to the eyelashes--when Midnite and I saw her in the lobby after the show, guess what she was wearing; great huge false eyelashes  :-   See the picture under the heading "Born to Diva"

Bette
Life works if you let it

Offline jennifer

• DSF God
  • we'll always love you Don!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2003, 03:59:08 PM »
sorry Rainey as an Amanda hater don't buy it darlin!

maybe i missed it but Amanda really isn't real just a Tate creation was does she age? and if she was such a big star why didn't Quentin ever notice her?thought this storyline was pretty lame and always thought Q was under the "spell" of the "unreal" woman!

jennifer
Why would she need reminders anyway! that would be a date
you would never forget!
we are the champions!!!!
 2007 Boston Red Sox
PAV

Offline sheenasma

• Full Poster
  • Sheena
    • View Profile
    • NancyMck's Dark Shadows Events
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2003, 08:53:48 PM »
I just think she is a shameless, stuck on herself hussey.

n
Beware of all enterprises that require new clothes - Henry David Thoreau

Screw Thoreau - sheenasma
GHP

Offline dom

• Long Lost Cousin Returned
  • Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2003, 08:16:30 AM »
Shades of Norma Desmond!

dom

Offline Debra

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2003, 09:41:50 PM »
I just think she is a shameless, stuck on herself hussey.

n

LOLOLOLOLOL!!!  You almost made me choke on my lunch today as I was reading this!!

Deb

Offline kuanyin

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2003, 12:58:27 AM »
her.

While the idea of living your entire natural life span young and beautiful is appealing on a certain level, it might also be lonely, couldn't it?  Watching other people around you age, and after a certain point you'd just be alone, what would that be like?  You couldn't really couple with anyone for life, because you'd never be able to explain why you never age without them thinking you're nuts.  No wonder she searched all those years for Quentin, knowing that he's one of the few who could understand.

Be sure and see the lovely movie "Tuck Everlasting" for a poignant study on just that subject!
"If a thing is worth doing, it is worth doing badly, rather than not at all." G.K. Chesterton

Offline Philippe Cordier

• (formerly known as Vlad)
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2003, 02:08:49 AM »
Very, very good insight, Raineypark!  Your theory adds much more dimension to Amanda's character ...

Personally, I'll take Ms. McKecknie's "Q-u-e-n-t-i-n" whinings over Terry Crawford's painful-to-listen to "Q-u-e-n-t-i-n"s (with accompanying pained facial expressions)!  (I was almost relieved when she took a dive off Widow's Hill ...)

I have a question, though, regarding that "deal" with Mr. Best.  Why would she have needed a deal to stay young and have an extended life?  I had assumed she had that all along, being a supernatural creation of Charles Delaware Tate's painting.

"Collinwood is not a healthy place to be." -- Collinsport sheriff, 1995

Offline jennifer

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2003, 05:38:47 AM »

I have a question, though, regarding that "deal" with Mr. Best.  Why would she have needed a deal to stay young and have an extended life?  I had assumed she had that all along, being a supernatural creation of Charles Delaware Tate's painting.

thats what i want to know she is not a real shameless hussy!

jennifer
sorry Vlad Beth is still my favorite!
we are the champions!!!!
 2007 Boston Red Sox
PAV

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2003, 06:50:43 PM »
I don't recall there being ANY discussion of the state of Amanda Harris' "reality".  She herself didn't believe that she was not "real".  Her "coming into existance" was explained, but not the reality of her "being".

So why would we (or she) assume that she would not age?  She had only existed for a short period of time and would not have had the chance to look in the mirror and think "Wow....I"m aging gracefully, aren't I?"
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline jennifer

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2003, 08:21:58 PM »
I don't recall there being ANY discussion of the state of Amanda Harris' "reality".  She herself didn't believe that she was not "real".  Her "coming into existance" was explained, but not the reality of her "being".

So why would we (or she) assume that she would not age?  She had only existed for a short period of time and would not have had the chance to look in the mirror and think "Wow....I"m aging gracefully, aren't I?"

reminds me of a T zone episode when ann francis finds out she wasn't real but a mannquin! Amanda was drawn on a piece of paper then just appeared !to me she is not real!
why would she age! she is just some man's fantasy(well i wouldn't go there...)always felt that is why all the men loved her
she is like one of those fake dolls except she talks!(or whines
so maybe she isn't the perfect fantasy)

jennifer
we are the champions!!!!
 2007 Boston Red Sox
PAV