Author Topic: Introduction/OT  (Read 2244 times)

Offline Debra

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
Introduction/OT
« on: May 02, 2003, 08:19:33 PM »
Hi All,  since I am pretty new here I thought I would intoduce myself.  My name is Debra, Im 38 yrs. old & married with four kids.

I live in New York State and work part time as an accountant.  I am Italian (was born in Sicily) but came here a very young at age 2 with my parents, brother & sister.

I started watching DS as a teenage at age 14 and fell for it right away!  I also watched the 1991 series faithfully, but found it just couldn't compare to the original. (remakes never really do compare)
I was overjoyed when it resurfaced again in the early 80's on a cable network station called The New Jersey Network, but sadly that only lasted a short time.  Now that I found it again these past few years on Scifi Im estatic to say the least!    I love this show and hope it remains on the air for a very long time!  And Im happy to be here in this wonderful site!

Anyway,  I love these kind of introductions so if anyone else wants to join in and tell me about themselves please feel free to do so!

Deb :)

Offline Cassandra

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
Re:Introduction/OT
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2003, 09:22:42 PM »
Hi Deb,
 Welcome!  What part of N.Y.S are you from?  I live in N.Y also. Im about 20 minutes away or so from the city.

Hey, another Italian here!  Actually My Dad was born in Sicily also so I've got the "Sicilian blood" in me.

I love the show also. Been watching since I was about 7 years old and like you was upset when it was cancelled. I have three sisters and I use to get home from school just in time to watch it with them.  I was glad to see it finally come back on the Sci Fi channel and now Im watching it again, along with my parents who live downstairs from me.  It's like they're discovering it again for the first time since they both worked when it originally aired.

I am also married and have two daughters.  My oldest daughter, Marlena will be 20 in July and Alicia turns 17 this month.  I am 42 years old and work part time in a doctors office. I use to work full time in the Post Office but became very ill and had to leave working full time and go on disability for awhile.

It's nice to have you here!

Cassandra
"Calamity Jane"

Offline CrazyJenny

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2003, 10:27:36 PM »
Hi there Debra.  I'm Jenny and I'm 25.  I live in Dallas and started watching DS with my dad when I was 5 years old.  Don't ask me why it never scared me. I couldn't tell you.
"PEOPLE CAN FORGET WHAT YOU SAY AND WHAT YOU DO BUT THEY WILL NEVER FORGET HOW YOU MADE THEM FEEL."

Offline Carol

• * Fiction Filly *
    Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
  • New York Cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2003, 11:18:13 PM »
Hi there Deb! Nice to make your acquaintance.
I'm 54 and live in upstate NY--suburb of Albany. I'm a part-time nurse in a dermatology office. I've been married 28 years and have a 20 y.o. daughter in college.  My husband is Italian. His father came from Calabria; his mother from Naples. I'm half Polish from my mother and half-English/Scottish/Irish/German/French/younameit from my father.
I saw DS the first time around while I was in last year of HS and then missed most of the following years because I went to work right after HS and only saw the show during vacations or when I was sick. Willie/John Karlen is my favorite character/actor. Rediscovered DS on Sci-fi a few years back and have been a loyal follower ever since. Discovered all the DS sites online when we finally decided to get Internet service.
You'll enjoy yourself here and make lots of new friends.
carolinamooon

"All that we see or seem is but a dream within a dream" - Edgar Allan Poe

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2003, 02:21:08 AM »
Hi, Deb.  I'm boring, so there ain't much to tell you about me.  But as regards DS, I watched it from the very beginning when it went on the air in the summer of 1966 - I saw the very first episode.  On our local affiliate, it came on at ten or eleven in the morning (initially; probably delayed videotaped broadcast), and I saw the ad for it following whatever ABC show I was watching (it was a gameshow; that I remember) which looked so intriguing to a nine year old who already loved the macabre at that age.  So I watched it, although on and off at first because it was just a gothic romance with no real things that went bumb in the night.  I got some other friends to watch it, and we would actually play out David-tries-to-kill-his-father, and used an old hotel-room key as the part David took from his father's car and hid.  By the time the ghosts started to appear, the school year began so we missed a great deal until it transferred to later in the afternoon (the Laura storyline  was underway).  From that point on, we watched it as much as we could.  I would close my eyes when Jeremiah's ghost stalked the sets because, at that time, seeing a bloodied ghost with his eye hanging out was pretty heady stuff.  My mom hated it ("that spooky crap" she would call it) and we had a war, since she wanted to watch Art Linkletter's House Party which came on opposite, but I won.  Even though she considered it always as "that spooky crap", she would sit down and watch when Joan Bennett appeared ("I can't believe Joan Bennett is in that spooky crap," she would say.)  For a short while we had another battle when Graham Kerr's The Galloping Gourmet came on opposite, but I won that one, too.  I collected as many of the comic books and the Marilyn Ross novels as possible, cut out the newspaper fliers for the movies, and cried my eyes out on that April day in 1971 when it left the air.  So that's pretty much me.  Welcome aboard!

Gerard

Offline Birdie

• Senior Poster
  • And her little dog too
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2003, 08:40:42 PM »
Hi Debra,
                I also have four children, oldest 21, youngest 12.  Hate to admitt it but I turned 46 just recently.  I live in Central Ma.  As I child I ran home with my friends to watch DS and was crushed when it was cancelled in l971.  When our local cable company starting carring Sci-fi a few years back I put DS on for the daughter when she was home sick from school.  Low and behold once again I have become hooked. It was great my daughter became a big fan,  We somehow dragged my husband, older daughter to the Dark Shadows fest in 200l.  Believe me, it was hard work conviincing them that going to a fest was a good idea.  My sister came also and we had a blast.  We both got kind of silly when we saw David Selby for the first time.  The two of us staring saying "There he is, there he is."
      I know you will enjoy yourself on the forum.  Everyone who posts here are very nice and thoughtful.

Birdie
Birdie--
God please put your arm around my shoulder and your hand across my mouth

Offline The Ghost of Sarah Collins

• Senior Poster
  • Do You Know My Brother Barnabas...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2003, 04:54:25 AM »
Hello Debra, and Welcome to this wonderful group! I have been a fan for longer than I will admit to... ;) although I know you will meet many new friends here who know much more about DS then even I do! lol... do have fun and post often. I look forward to reading your thoughts.

Sarah's [ghost]
The Ghost of Sarah Collins (1784-1795)
Sister to Barnabas...@}{~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

"That evil is wicked is well understood,
the wicked are punished so you must be good"
(Sarah to Barnabas)

Offline Josette

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2003, 08:37:07 AM »
Hi Deb - that's a nice introduction and it's nice to learn about others, too.

I'm 53, single, no children and do word processing from my home.

I was introduced to the show in my junior year of college by two friends who had been watching it and filled me in on the previous parts of the story.  I must have begun around this point, because I remember being told about 1897 and Quentin, but never saw any of it.  And, I was definitely watching as the first hints of the next story were shown, so I must have begun in Leviathan.

Years later a local station showed it from the coming of Barnabas to well into 1795.  They then took it off "temporarily" with promises of bringing it back as it was so highly requested.  They never did!

Eventually I found the tapes and saw from the beginning of Barnabas to the end.  Since then, there have been a couple of showings on SciFi, with this last one finally doing it from the beginning.  So, except for one of those early episodes that I ended up missing, I've finally seen the whole thing.
Josette

Offline TERRY308

• Senior Poster
  • The real Mrs. Collins.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2003, 11:46:47 AM »
Hi Deb...as for me...I'm 46 years old, married, two daughters (the youngest has just finished her first year at college and the oldest has given us a sweet, beatiful and very smart granddaughter) and I live about 15 minutes from where David (Quentin) Selby was born and raised.  We have two cats (Bella and Magda) a dog (Mr. Woo) two white mice (Pixey and Dixie...they're my granddaughters) two parketkeets (Sharon and Ozzy) and last but not least my daughter's Quaker Parrot..Mortdecai.

As for DS..it's an obsession with me.  It came on, I was 10 years old, and at first, Barnabas scared the bjesus out of me, but as time went on I felt sorry for him, then I sorta liked him and them I was mad about him.

Fast forward, about 30 and some years, and it's like I've never left.  I can still see everyone as beautful as they were, and how wonderful they were with they're craft.

So welcome Deb.  I hope you like our little troop of DS.
Cassandra:  I have a potion.  You know it well.  As soon as she drinks it, within an hour, she will go to sleep and have the dream.
Nicholas:  I am much to talented to spend my time drugging drinks.

Online Annie

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2003, 12:37:16 PM »
Hi, Deb thanks for introducing yourself !!!
Any-way i'm 44 yrs old single and live at home
in UpState NY  ( Binghamton,NY)  !!!  I loved
DS since i was in elementary School used to
rush home and watch it!!!!  I feel in love and
still is crazy about David Selby!!!!!!!   YUMMY!!!
( RIGHT GANG??)   Today Ds is the best on
Tv !!! I work full time at a Defense Company
which for reasons and protecting others i
won't name it)   I've been there for about
21 yrs now.      Take Care Love U Anne
 :-* ;D ;)   ( GLAD YOU ARE A PART OF OUR DS
                    FAMILY)  WELCOME!!!
"Never Give Up On Your Dreams "I Didn't So Don't
You"    By Barry Manilow

Offline jennifer

• DSF God
  • we'll always love you Don!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2003, 03:49:18 PM »
Hi Deb,
i'm married with 2 children (5 and 12) live  outside boston
a nurse for 25 years(icu and recovery room) and also sicilian(part from grandfather) also english, french, some irish,(from grandmothers) my other grandfather was half french/italian
from Corisca(hey may be related to Napleon )love the Red Sox, Cape Cod and DS(and Don B but that is a leftover teenage issue.....) welcome we do have fun here!

jennifer
we are the champions!!!!
 2007 Boston Red Sox
PAV

Offline Mark Rainey

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • The Realm
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2003, 04:15:45 PM »
Hi Debra. I just turned 44 Friday; getting closer and closer to getting that AARP discount card. Married with one grown child -- although for years I've been laboring under the misapprehension that once she got out of college, had a job, and a place of her own, we might be putting out fewer fires and spending less money.

Ha.

I think you've noticed by now that I write scary things, such as DARK SHADOWS: DREAMS OF THE DARK (along with Elizabeth Massie) from HarperCollins, among others. I've been a DS fan since I was a seven, there or abouts, so getting to write an honest-to-God DS novel was orgasmic. (Can I say that here? If not, then I'll say it was dang good.)

I was rather fond of the 91 DS, although it certainly didn't hold up to the charm of the original. Too bad it wasn't given the opportunity to continue, though, because it seemed to be hitting its stride just about the time it was cancelled. I certainly would have continued to watch it. ;)

--Mark

Offline onyx_treasure

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2003, 05:10:46 PM »
Hi Debra,
     I am glad to see you're posting.  It took me years to get up the gumption.  I was born in Southern California but have lived in Maine for 14 years.  I turned 45 in March and have two boys(13 and 7).  Guess what, I don't have a drop of Italian blood in me and neither does my husband.  I have some German blood and who knows what else.  However, I love Italian food and don't much care for German food.
    I have been a fan of Dark Shadows since I was a little kid but didn't get to see it all through uninterupted until I was an adult.  I begged the cable company in my area for the Sci-fi Channal then got to watch DS all the way through and Sci-fi cancelled it. >:(  I turned to this board for solace.  Great place, lots of experts and funny, fun people.  Glad you're here, too. :-*
There are two means of refuge from the misery of life--music and cats.  Albert Schweitzer

Online Annie

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2003, 07:24:11 PM »
Hello Deb me again i'm Slovak and my grandfather
was part of French , forgot to mention that.
          Love Anne [wavey] [wavey] ;D
"Never Give Up On Your Dreams "I Didn't So Don't
You"    By Barry Manilow

Offline Julianka7

• Senior Poster
  • Collinwood casts a long shadow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2003, 04:55:58 AM »
Hi Debra,
Welcome to the DS Forums  :)