Author Topic: Quick Time ActiveX Plugin  (Read 1804 times)

Offline Josette

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Quick Time ActiveX Plugin
« on: April 29, 2003, 07:34:01 AM »
Is there something new on the forum that would like to use this plugin?  Almost every thing I click, there is a delay, and then a box comes up asking me if I want to get this plugin from Apple.  Clicking "no" doesn't do any good, it just comes up again the next time.
Josette

Offline dom

• Long Lost Cousin Returned
  • Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Re:Quick Time ActiveX Plugin
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2003, 07:55:04 AM »
Hi Josette. I had this happen to me also about three forum versions back. I think it only happened to me when I'd access the forum and had unopened IMs. I'd get a pop-up notification telling me I had unopened IM messages, "Would you like to see them" (or something like that), and then I'd get a pop up window telling me I should download software so that I could take full advantage of "whatever". When I'd try to download the apple version of whatever they were suggesting I needed, I was not able to download it. I was never able to rid myself of the problem. Then the forum changed to a new host (or whatever, sorry I'm not good with the computer lingo) and the problem went away. Sorry to use so much space to not really help you, but I wanted you to know that at least someone else had the same problem.

Hope you are able to solve the problem,
dom

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2003, 08:21:01 AM »
Is there something new on the forum that would like to use this plugin?

Yes, that's due to the annoying sound file that accompanies the image at the top of all the MessageIndex pages. The file is there to get everyone in the, uh, right frame of mind to "welcome" him back. [vryevl]

I'm actually surprised that you hadn't downloaded the plugin when the midi for Madonna's Skin played the day Lady Kitty arrived in 1897. But perhaps you didn't login that day...

Almost every thing I click, there is a delay

That would be because you didn't accept the plug-in and, therefore, never downloaded the sound file (only 35.9KB), so every time you accessed a MessageIndex page you kept getting asked again and again. Whereas people who accepted the plug-in or already had it installed in their browser received a momentary pause while the sound file downloaded the first time they accessed a MessageIndex page and then the file would have been immediately accessed from their browser's cache thereafter...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2003, 08:28:29 AM »
I think it only happened to me when I'd access the forum and had unopened IMs. I'd get a pop-up notification telling me I had unopened IM messages, "Would you like to see them" (or something like that),

Yes, that pop-up was one of the features of the Advanced Instant Message mod for YaBB SP. Neither a pop-up or the option to play a sound file when you have new messages is part of the SE version, though. :(

then I'd get a pop up window telling me I should download software so that I could take full advantage of "whatever". When I'd try to download the apple version of whatever they were suggesting I needed, I was not able to download it. I was never able to rid myself of the problem. Then the forum changed to a new host (or whatever, sorry I'm not good with the computer lingo) and the problem went away.

Hmmm - not sure what you would have been asked to download for that length of time because the apple plug-in for Quicktime was only on the forum for maybe a day and a half. Whatever was coming up after that wasn't coming from the forum... :-
 But I do remember you asking about it now and saying that it only happened when you visited here. Very strange.  [huhb]

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2003, 12:25:25 PM »
Are you telling me that the annoying-beyond-belief "You have a message" pop-up that appeared in the previous version was NOT caused by the fact that we're using IE????

I don't care why it went away....just keep it like that,okay?  :-
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline dom

• Long Lost Cousin Returned
  • Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2003, 02:07:39 PM »
I believe the pop-up was a preference setting. But I could be wrong, though it would be the first time...  [smrtasb]

d.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2003, 04:57:16 PM »
I don't care why it went away....just keep it like that,okay?  :-

You could have gotten rid of it yourself - all you had to have done was gone into your IM preferences and unchecked the box for it. ;) I'm sure either I or Midnite mentioned that around here somewhere. But, of course, it's a moot point now...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2003, 05:00:32 PM »
I believe the pop-up was a preference setting. But I could be wrong

Nope - you're right. :)

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2003, 05:12:41 PM »
You could have gotten rid of it yourself - all you had to have done was gone into your IM preferences and unchecked the box for it. ;)

Why not just tell me to do brain surgery while you're at it!!!
Forget who you're talking to?  :-
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline Cassandra

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2003, 10:07:11 PM »
Is there something new on the forum that would like to use this plugin?  Almost every thing I click, there is a delay, and then a box comes up asking me if I want to get this plugin from Apple.  Clicking "no" doesn't do any good, it just comes up again the next time.

This thing is driving me nuts!  How much longer is this going to be there?  And what if you don't want to download it?
 Does this mean it's never going to go away?

It's bad enough we have to keep looking at that face, but to add this to it is pure torture! [madan]
[spin][rollb][rollb] [spin] 
"Calamity Jane"

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2003, 11:24:23 PM »
Does this mean it's never going to go away?

Quite possibly. [vryevl]

No, just kidding. Both the graphic and the sound file will disappear later tonight.

Offline Debra

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2003, 05:35:50 AM »
Im glad that its not going to be a permanent thing here too.  It appears on every page for me and not just the home page and this has been slowing my computer down.  I have Quick Time already and yet the message still appears. >:(

Deb

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2003, 12:09:56 PM »
I have Quick Time already and yet the message still appears. >:(

Someone can have QuickTime installed on their computer, but if the QT plug-in for their browser isn't the latest one, then whenever they visit any Web site that's using a QT ActiveX control, they'll be promted to download it until they actually do.

But at any rate, it's gone from here (for the moment, anyway). Can't speak for any other site where you might encounter it...

Offline Debra

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2003, 09:42:28 PM »
Someone can have QuickTime installed on their computer, but if the QT plug-in for their browser isn't the latest one, then whenever they visit any Web site that's using a QT ActiveX control, they'll be promted to download it until they actually do.

Oooh, I didnt know that.  I have just assumed that if you already had it on your computer than that was it,. but now this makes sense because they are always updating things and adding new things.
Thank you for filling me in on this. I'll know what to do next time I see a message like that.

Deb :)