Author Topic: Angies HOT for Barn but he's. . . .  (Read 1719 times)

Offline Julia99

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
  • My Fans are Legion
    • View Profile
    • Barnabas & Company
Angies HOT for Barn but he's. . . .
« on: February 23, 2002, 03:31:51 PM »
Originally posted by Julia99 on the Dark Shadows: General Discussion Forum on February 23, 2002 at 09:31:51:

Lara Parker was quite something in that scene in B's room. But I didn't feel much coming from him (Frid seemed a bit unsure how to play it actually). . . . he didn't seem to care one iota about her. . . strange that she can't see that. . .but then its so true for many people still stuck in the afterglow i guess. ..

J99
Julia99

Offline MrsJ

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Angies HOT for Barn but he's. . . .
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2002, 06:14:26 PM »
Originally posted by MrsJ on February 23, 2002 at 12:14:26:
In Reply to: Angies HOT for Barn but he's. . . . posted by Julia99 on February 23, 2002 at 09:31:51:

Julia99''s
Lara Parker was quite something in that scene in B's room. But I didn't feel much coming from him (Frid seemed a bit unsure how to play it actually). . . . he didn't seem to care one iota about her. . . strange that she can't see that. . .but then its so true for many people still stuck in the afterglow i guess. ..

Well, you might get an argument from the Ang/Barnabas fans about that, lol, but since I'm not among them I won't quibble. I actually thought Frid did pretty well in that scene though, trying to be a "gentleman" and let her down easy, although what he probably wanted to say was "get the hell out of my life!" He didn't seem to know how to handle Ang's advances, but you have to remember that she was the last person he expected to see. She was a part of his life he'd hoped was behind him, especially in light of his fiancee's imminent arrival.
You'd think that Natalie might have been a little more perceptive about her own maid though...
Oh well, I'm still enjoying watching Grayson and that boa...

MrsJ.

Offline Julia99

• Senior Poster
  • My Fans are Legion
    • View Profile
    • Barnabas & Company
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2002, 07:09:44 PM »
Originally posted by Julia99 on February 23, 2002 at 13:09:44:
In Reply to: Re: Angies HOT for Barn but he's. . . . posted by MrsJ on February 23, 2002 at 12:14:26:

MrsJ's
Well, you might get an argument from the Ang/Barnabas fans about that, lol, but since I'm not among them I won't quibble.

YES I imagine i would get an arguement. . i don't hang with that crowd either and have to yet to run into or afoul of them?? They don't seem to hangout where I go. .?? Although i have heard of other Grayson-fans having unpleasant encounters unfortunately. J99  ;D
Julia99

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2002, 08:48:06 PM »
Originally posted by Midnite on February 23, 2002 at 14:48:06:
In Reply to: Re: Angies HOT for Barn but he's. . . . posted by Julia99 on February 23, 2002 at 13:09:44:

It probably goes without saying, but of course all fans and their opinions are welcome here, and debate between posters concerning their likes or dislikes is encouraged. Angelique happens to be my favorite female character, so apparently you do hang out in at least one place with one. ;) Also speaking personally, I've found other Angelique fans to be very pleasant, but if what you're referring to are situations that have occurred elsewhere, then as the board's guidelines state, it's not an appropriate topic for this discussion forum anyway.

Offline kuanyin

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
I thought it rather suggestive
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2002, 11:16:10 PM »
Originally posted by kuanyin on February 23, 2002 at 17:16:10:
In Reply to: Angies HOT for Barn but he's. . . . posted by Julia99 on February 23, 2002 at 09:31:51:

for the time especially. Poor Angie, I know how she feels. I fell for the "free love" bulloney of the early seventies and can swear to the fact that if a man doesn't love you WHEN he beds you, he never will. How seldom we hear that spelled out for the young and impressionable though.

And as for Barney, WHAT WAS HE THINKING???? OK, yes, I can see that Angie was desirable. But he was in love with Josette! It seems distinctly cadlike and cavalier of him, and he otherwise was pretty decent as a human. I don't think seducing (or succombing to seduction) of a servant of the relative of the woman you love was EVER such a good idea.
"If a thing is worth doing, it is worth doing badly, rather than not at all." G.K. Chesterton

Offline Julia99

• Senior Poster
  • My Fans are Legion
    • View Profile
    • Barnabas & Company
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2002, 12:19:20 AM »
Originally posted by Julia99 on February 23, 2002 at 18:19:20:
In Reply to: Re: Angies HOT for Barn but he's. . . . posted by Midnite on February 23, 2002 at 14:48:06:

Midnite say it isn't so!!!!! :) ;)

No the interactions I alluded to happened at the DSFests unfortunately. This board is a lovely home for the exchange of ideas and thoughts and opinions on who is the farest of them all .. .

Thank you for maintaining it, in alls its glory. :D

J99
Julia99

Offline Luciaphile

• ** Collinsport Commentator **
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2002, 01:26:20 AM »
Originally posted by Luciaphil on February 23, 2002 at 19:26:20:

Really, did you think so? There's a scene coming up where they have quite a bit of chemistry.

As for Angelique's blindness, well, she's hardly the first to see something where there was nothing. And in her defense (which I won't be doing often, btw) she seemed to expect that while he would marry Josette for her dowry, he would be carrying on with her on the side and that would hardly be uncommon for those time periods.

Luciaphil
"Some people ask their god for answers to their spiritual questions. For everything else, there is Google." --rpcxdr-ga

Offline Josette

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Re: I thought it rather suggestive
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2002, 04:34:25 AM »
Originally posted by Josette on February 23, 2002 at 22:34:25:
In Reply to: I thought it rather suggestive posted by kuanyin on February 23, 2002 at 17:16:10:

Actually, I think Barnabas behaved rather admirably. He obviously had a fling with Angelique in Martinique. In those days for the "gentleman" to have a dalliance with a maid was probably rather common. And, at that point, he didn't know that Josette loved him.

When Angelique comes to him, I think he looks very tempted and is physically trying to restrain himself. He clearly could continue having something on the side and marry Josette. But, he forces himself to turn down Angelique and remain true to Josette. While cruel to Angelique (I don't think he really does believe how much she loves him), it seems quite amazing behavior regarding his relationship with Josette.

Josette
Josette

Offline ROBINV

• ** Robservationist **
  • Senior Poster
  • The Write Stuff
    • View Profile
    • Personal site of Robin Vogel
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2002, 10:15:05 AM »
Originally posted by ROBINV on February 24, 2002 at 04:15:05:
In Reply to: Re: Angies HOT for Barn but he's. . . . posted by Luciaphil on February 23, 2002 at 19:26:20:

As for Angelique's blindness, well, she's hardly the first to see something where there was nothing. And in her defense (which I won't be doing often, btw) she seemed to expect that while he would marry Josette for her dowry, he would be carrying on with her on the side and that would hardly be uncommon for those time periods

This is one of the things I appreciated about Barnabas--he COULD have married Josette and kept Ang as his mistress, but he didn't want to do that; he loved his fiancee so much, he wanted to be faithful to her. And while it may have been common, too, for men to "dally" as he did with Angelque, at least he wasn't following the crowd by doing the wife+mistress thing. I always thought it pretty neat that something was dangled in front of him, ripe for the taking, and a fruit he had apparently enjoyed plenty in Martinique, and he refused to go for it. I respected Barnabas for that decision.

Robin

Offline VAM

• Muted
  • Senior Poster
  • Adding to my canvas of life...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2002, 04:20:35 PM »
Originally posted by VAM on February 24, 2002 at 10:20:35:
In Reply to: Re: Angies HOT for Barn but he's. . . . posted by ROBINV on February 24, 2002 at 04:15:05:

You know how it goes... There was no more challenge for Barnabas since Angelique gave herself completely to him in Martinique. With her cunning, I am surprise she did not bait him (shows she did really love him). The interest sometimes is in the getting-the magical moment. [spoiler](However, we learn later that he really loved her and not Josette.)[/spoiler]Perhaps if the opportunity presented itself once again with another beauty maybe the faithfulness would have gone out the window - just joking! VAM
It is a good day because I am still ticking!

Offline kuanyin

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Yes, but
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2002, 01:40:54 AM »
Originally posted by kuanyin on February 24, 2002 at 19:40:54:
In Reply to: Re: I thought it rather suggestive posted by Josette on February 23, 2002 at 22:34:25:

I think it was much more common to have a thing with a maid on your OWN staff. And in a time of no birth control, it wasn't really acceptable. If it had been his own maid, and he could help "set up" the girl in a marriage or provide a home for the little illegitimate baby-THEN, it was more of a boys will be boys attitude. Maybe. He was raised in a highly puritannical area, and I don't think Joshua would have approved.

But, anyway, to bed someone who was a member of another household, and then cut out of town (to leave her completely on her own if she WAS in the family way), no - sorry, I see nothing admirable about that.
"If a thing is worth doing, it is worth doing badly, rather than not at all." G.K. Chesterton

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2002, 12:56:38 PM »
Originally posted by Steve on February 25, 2002 at 06:56:38:

Dear Luciaphil,

That's interesting that you say that Angelique might have been hoping at this particular point to have Barnabas carrying on his liaison with her while maintaining Josette as his wife. Not too many weeks down the line, she informs Ben that she's going to have everything that Josette has, from fine dresses and a privileged life to Barnabas, as she has intended all along. I thought it made the character more believable and of her time that she craved the status and the material blandishments that would come with life as Mrs. Barnabas Collins. As I see her, Angelique ALWAYS wanted to be Barnabas' wife, and she certainly insisted upon that title repeatedly in later years!

Agree that Lara Parker and Jonathan Frid had wonderful onscreen chemistry together. The passion that comes through in their playing can so believably lead one to understand how these two could both love AND hate one another down through the centuries.

Steve

LF

« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2002, 11:35:01 AM »
I think I agree that Barnabas did not know himself how to react to Angelique when she first came to see him, but it does not make sense to me that he did not know she was the Dupres's maid, particularly when I assume he went to the duPres plantation to conduct business with Andre....

That is the thing, it does sound like Barnabas kept things in the air with Angelique before he left Martinique, and there is the remark that he and Josette had written and I assume got engaged that way, through correspondence....

Offline Philippe Cordier

• (formerly known as Vlad)
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2002, 03:38:55 AM »
LF wrote:

I think I agree that Barnabas did not know himself how to react to Angelique when she first came to see him, but it does not make sense to me that he did not know she was the Dupres's maid, particularly when I assume he went to the duPres plantation to conduct business with Andre....

***(can't figure out how to use the shading/boxes)****

LF, what made you think that Barnabas didn't know that Angelique was the Dupres's servant?

I think he was surprised to see her when he opened the door, but I don't think that meant he had no idea she was connected with the Dupres family!

:)

"Collinwood is not a healthy place to be." -- Collinsport sheriff, 1995

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
OT:  Quoting text
« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2002, 04:30:33 AM »
Vlad's
***(can't figure out how to use the shading/boxes)****

Vlad, I'll explain on the test board.