Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0288  (Read 580 times)

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Discuss - Ep #0288
« on: August 30, 2012, 07:37:03 AM »
Robservations - #288

And if you'd care to look back, the first WP discussion topic for this ep:
Re: Discuss - Ep #0288

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2012, 07:42:57 AM »
This is wonderful.  Barnabas has been loose in Collinsport for about four months, and everybody still thinks of him as that nice Collins cousin from England, such a gentleman, so romantic, though maybe a little shy.  And now Julia's been in town for just a day or two and she's got him all figured out.  Of course, she had a little help, what with the blood samples and Maggie's evidence - but Woodard had a lot of the evidence that Julia had, and he got nowhere.  Question: did Woodard mention to Julia that Willie's blood sample wasn't anything like Maggie's?  Probably not, since it was a negative, but if he did, I'm sure Julia figured out why.

She knows what Barnabas is.  She has a pretty good idea of what he did to Maggie.  She has probably gotten the story from some unsuspecting Collinwood resident of how Barnabas reformed Willie.  She's heard about the attacks that are causing all the women of Collinsport to think twice about going out after dark.  And yet she barges into the Old House, shoves the portrait book into Barnabas’s face, and checks her pocket mirror to make sure he has no reflection.  She's crazy.  Smart, but crazy.

Seeing all the uncomplimentary comments about Burke in these episodes, I guess the writers are intentionally making him act like a jerk so as to drive Vicky into Barnabas’s arms (or into his teeth) so that the tension of the storyline is increased.  But it seems very clumsy of them.

IluvBarnabas

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2012, 02:25:50 PM »
Have to admire how bold and brave Julia is in here, even if she is being a bit reckless.

Woodard never figured on Barnabas as a suspect because he's not the one treating Maggie on a day-to-day basis...Julia was. He only got so far with the blood samples....he knew something strange was going on in her blood, but Barnabas had stolen the ones from the lab, and then switched the blood sample Woodard took from Willie. Julia is the one who has been taking Maggie back, bit by bit, to the things that have terrified her.

I always wondered if the viewers back then were siding with Burke a bit, despite how condescending he seems to be to Vicki toward these episodes. Burke tells her she would have been safer in the storm rather than spending the night with Barnabas and Willie....and considering Barnabas came close to biting her, perhaps he would have been right. But Willie DID offer to take her home, and Barnabas did manage to restrain himself from biting her.....and at this point Burke really has no reason to be suspicious of Barnabas, but he does seem to carry a grudge against him ever since the seance....never mind the fact that holding the seance was Roger's bright idea not Barnabas'.

Even though he's right about Vicki being better off not going to the Old House, he talks to her like a child. I think that's why a lot of viewers in this age have trouble sympathizing with him.

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2012, 07:24:38 PM »
Julia rocks! She really isn't afraid of anything, even if she's taking some incredible risks. I can't think of another TV character like her, then or now.

I think Julia is working from the evidence that she herself has collected. Even without Willie's blood sample, the mirror test would prove her suspicions beyond a doubt.

David is scared when Vicki goes into Josette mode while listening to the music box. And we learn that he was named after an earlier David Collins, but since the earlier David is never mentioned again, we don't need to worry about him. Our David tells Julia about his friend Sarah, who looks just like the picture in the family history. Julia is immediately alert when David mentions that he's only ever seen Sarah near the Old House.

Vicki tells Julia about the maniac who kidnapped Maggie Evans. But you wouldn't know about that, she adds, and Julia has to play along. She's even more interested when Vicki says that the only mirror in the Old House is in Josette's room.

Burke really is turning into a first-class tyrant. We can at least hope that the writers have done this on purpose, but it's awfully heavy handed. But I suppose that in the mid-1960s, that was the best they could come up with for a plot twist that would make Vicki turn more and more to Barnabas.

Julia once again boldly goes to the Old House, makes herself comfortable and shows Barnabas the portraits. When she gets to Naomi, Barnabas can't resist taking the book himself, though he turns away from her. She encourages him to turn the page to see the portrait of Sarah, the “first” Barnabas’s sister. As she natters on about how much Sarah’s eyes look like his, in her riskiest move, she surreptitiously takes out her compact, holds the mirror at the proper angle, and sees-- exactly what she expected to see.

Barnabas angrily asks, What are you doing? But she pleads feminine vanity--even historians have to check their makeup. Even in the face of Barnabas's fury, she is utterly unruffled and tells him, I hope we can talk again. I love her self-confidence when she tells Vicki that she's learned everything she needs to know.

Offline alwaysdavid

• Senior Poster
  • My journey is beginning,
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2012, 02:58:20 AM »
It really shows how much thought the actors put into their characters and individual scenes during this period of the show
you know there's a whole wing that's closed off all the time; the west wing, I go there lots of times