Author Topic: Song Videos/Home Movies  (Read 6413 times)

Offline MaineGirl

• Junior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
Song Videos/Home Movies
« on: April 24, 2003, 11:27:28 PM »
Dear Gang,

I was interested in getting in touch with anyone who has made, or who knows anyone who has made, dark shadows songvideos.

Songvideos are fantastic! A songvideo is a video (like you see on MTV, or did, in the old days), where there is a song and pictures that go with the lyrical images. People pick out a song, and then pick out a seris of moving clips from the eps, and put them together with two vcr's, and voila. You can now have Quentin and Angelique in love, or Barn and Julia, or you can have anything you like happen, if you've got the right song, and the right music.

I saw one recently at last year's fest, where Julia was the main, featured character, and managed to come out on top and give Barn his comeuppance. I'm not a Julia fan, per se, but I was very impressed with the person who had made this particular vid.

In addition, there are a number of clever home movies that have been shown at the fests over the years. You know the ones....people make the costumes and the sets, and then they create a movie that they'd like to see. "Baby Dark Shadows" was one series, and there were a whole host of others, most of them funny and intense, others of them serious and dark.

One that stands out in my mind was one made by some kids back in the 70's. They had a lot of blood and gore, and I'm sure they ran through the entire supply of their mother's white sheets. They had film of them jumping off the roof, and jumping out of cars, and all the characters, in a grisly voice, would accuse Willie of being the culprit of all sorts of wrongdoings. A gritty little film, I long to contact the maker and express my pleasure and appreciation.

So, if any of you make or know someone who makes songvids, I'd love to get in touch with you, and set up a deal. That goes for the home movies too!

Regards,

Maine Girl

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Re:Song Videos/Home Movies
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2003, 11:50:32 PM »
I saw one recently at last year's fest, where Julia was the main, featured character, and managed to come out on top and give Barn his comeuppance. I'm not a Julia fan, per se, but I was very impressed with the person who had made this particular vid.

The music was "I'll Stand By You", yes?  Would love to see that one again too.  That B & J video was put together by our own ProfStokes.  She impresses me on a regular basis. :D

Offline MsCriseyde

• Senior Poster
  • Even the name reeks of Ohrbach's!
    • View Profile
    • Criseyde's David Selby Site
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2003, 01:56:22 AM »
Songvids are the one type of fan creation that my students really seemed to get a kick out of this semester. There are quite a few of them online for various fandoms, though I've not run across any for DS. These have all been made with computer software, so the editing is much cleaner than earlier versions of songvids that involved 2 vcrs.

Since I've got quite a few bookmarked, thought I'd share. Hope this isn't getting too far off topic.

Drawn to the Rhythm: Slash & Gen Songvids by Ashinae -- I think this is mainly Lord of the Rings stuff.

Creation's Reflections Web Site -- Various fandoms.

CreatiVideos -- Various fandoms.

Dr. Fidelius's Varicoloured Videos - Harry Potter

FanVids Music Video Ring

Buffy's Domain of Delight - Buffy the Vampire Slayer

Mistress Elektra Pendragon's Songvids -- various fandoms

Dark Shadows Alumni Movies (Includes a DS News page.)

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2003, 04:19:42 AM »
Drawn to the Rhythm: Slash & Gen Songvids by Ashinae -- I think this is mainly Lord of the Rings stuff.

I've seen some of these.  Aragorn and Boromir-- who knew??!

Thanks for including the Buffy vids.  Hope the site problems will get worked out cuz I'm anxious to see them.

Offline CrazyJenny

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2003, 06:20:04 AM »

"Baby Dark Shadows" was one series, and there were a whole host of others, most of them funny and intense, others of them serious and dark.

Baby Dark Shadows was made by Richard Halpern (Usually Julia in the skits) and his niece and Nephews.  I dont think they're avalible for sale.  If they were, I would have bought one 10 years ago when they were made.

:-)
"PEOPLE CAN FORGET WHAT YOU SAY AND WHAT YOU DO BUT THEY WILL NEVER FORGET HOW YOU MADE THEM FEEL."

Offline MaineGirl

• Junior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2003, 04:07:35 PM »

The music was "I'll Stand By You", yes?  Would love to see that one again too.  That B & J video was put together by our own ProfStokes.  She impresses me on a regular basis. :D

Yes, indeed, I think it was! I had always thought that song would work well for a buddy cop show scenario, so I was unprepared to like it in the DS world. So when the video began, I was like, yeah, so? And then by the end, I was sitting straight up in my seat, all the hair on my arms standing up. I was very impressed, and got a lot of new insight into Julia's character.

Which, I think, is one of the strength's of the impact of songvids: the new insight that helps you look at the show in new ways.

Do you reckon that ProfStokes might be willing to set up some sort of negotiations for getting a copy of her vids?

Regards,

Maine Girl

Offline MaineGirl

• Junior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2003, 04:10:59 PM »
Songvids are the one type of fan creation that my students really seemed to get a kick out of this semester. There are quite a few of them online for various fandoms, though I've not run across any for DS. These have all been made with computer software, so the editing is much cleaner than earlier versions of songvids that involved 2 vcrs.

Since I've got quite a few bookmarked, thought I'd share. Hope this isn't getting too far off topic.

Creation's Reflections Web Site -- Various fandoms.

CreatiVideos -- Various fandoms.

Dr. Fidelius's Varicoloured Videos - Harry Potter

FanVids Music Video Ring

Buffy's Domain of Delight - Buffy the Vampire Slayer

Mistress Elektra Pendragon's Songvids -- various fandoms

Thank you for this list, I appreciate it! I have known about the online vids that were computer generated, but was not able to find any DS vids online either. I think that you are right about the computer generated ones being cleaner, but I'm of the opinion that there are still plenty of good vidders out there creating masterpeices with their two "bear skins and stone knives" vcr sets.  ;)

Regards,

Maine Girl

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2003, 04:58:27 PM »
My all time favorite DS Music Video has to be "You are always on my mind" (the Pet Shop Boys cover of the song) which was done by a very gifted fan as a Barnabas/Julia romance video.

I don't own it, as we were told copies could not be sold due to concern over copyright infringement, but was fortunate enough to see it 3 times at different events.  It's a beautiful, wonderful video.  If you haven't seen it, Maine Girl, maybe you'll have the opportunity at some venue or other.

In my opinion, a showing of it is a sine qua non for the "Farewell" DS Festival.  To me, Barnabas and Julia ARE Dark Shadows.

Gothick

Offline MaineGirl

• Junior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2003, 05:13:14 PM »
My all time favorite DS Music Video has to be "You are always on my mind" (the Pet Shop Boys cover of the song) which was done by a very gifted fan as a Barnabas/Julia romance video.

I don't own it, as we were told copies could not be sold due to concern over copyright infringement, but was fortunate enough to see it 3 times at different events.  It's a beautiful, wonderful video.  If you haven't seen it, Maine Girl, maybe you'll have the opportunity at some venue or other.

In my opinion, a showing of it is a sine qua non for the "Farewell" DS Festival.  To me, Barnabas and Julia ARE Dark Shadows.

Gothick

Therein lies the rub. In tons of other fandoms, songvids are "traded." That is, they are sold for cost of tape plus postage. No profit is made, therefore, no copyright infringement is done. The kibosh was put on "selling" songvideos at the fest, since they apparently believed that the people selling them were making a profit, and since the event was offically organized, the fest could make whatever rules they wanted.

I would, however, understand this decision more if fanzines were also forbidden (the characters are so blatently "borrowed", surely this is also copyright infringement?), or images of Barn and Julia (surely copyrighted!), and so on, were also foribidden. But they're not. The only thing that was forbidden to be sold were the songvideos.

I think there was a misinterpretation about what was copyright infringement. If I make a DS songvideo, and "sell" it to someone for cost of tape plus postage, then I'm not making a profit. I'm not selling it, thus I'm doing no copyright infringement.

So this original rule, made by whomever, was perhaps made in error - and ever since then, there has been a sort of pariah effect on songvideos being distributed. Forever? It seems a shame that the skills and artistry of those making songvids on their living room rugs cannot be shared but once a year at a fest, and then, when the fests are over, will only languish into magnetic dust.

I will respect the fest's requests not to "sell" songvideos at fests, but I reserve the right to trade with fellow vidders outside the fest's venue.

Regards,

Maine Girl

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2003, 06:14:54 PM »
I would, however, understand this decision more if fanzines were also forbidden (the characters are so blatently "borrowed", surely this is also copyright infringement?), or images of Barn and Julia (surely copyrighted!), and so on, were also foribidden. But they're not. The only thing that was forbidden to be sold were the songvideos.

I think there was a misinterpretation about what was copyright infringement. If I make a DS songvideo, and "sell" it to someone for cost of tape plus postage, then I'm not making a profit. I'm not selling it, thus I'm doing no copyright infringement.

Sorry, but it's a myth that if you don't make a profit then it's not copyright infringement.  Whether or not you make money can make a difference in the penalties awarded in court, but it's still a copyright violation to copy a work without the owner's permission.

The fact is that the owner of the copyright has the exclusive right to decide how the work will be used.  Use of images and fan fiction, with some exceptions (one of which is parody), ARE arguably copyright violations.  Yes, it's free advertising for the owner, but the decision to allow it is theirs and theirs alone.

Don't forget that the music used is also copied, though it's less likely that anything will come of it if it's used in a not-for-profit video.

There's a wealth of info in libraries and on the web regarding copyright, fair use, and public domain.

So this original rule, made by whomever, was perhaps made in error - and ever since then, there has been a sort of pariah effect on songvideos being distributed. Forever?

Well, perhaps not forever.  Obviously you feel passionate about it, so why not see if you can affect a change in the policy DC Productions has concerning the distribution of DS music videos?

Offline MaineGirl

• Junior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2003, 06:25:44 PM »

Sorry, but it's a myth that if you don't make a profit then it's not copyright infringement.  Whether or not you make money can make a difference in the penalties awarded in court, but it's still a copyright violation to copy a work without the owner's permission.

The fact is that the owner of the copyright has the exclusive right to decide how the work will be used.  Use of images and fan fiction, with some exceptions (one of which is parody), ARE arguably copyright violations.  Yes, it's free advertising for the owner, but the decision to allow it is theirs and theirs alone.

Don't forget that the music used is also copied, though it's less likely that anything will come of it if it's used in a not-for-profit video.

There's a wealth of info in libraries and on the web regarding copyright, fair use, and public domain.

So this original rule, made by whomever, was perhaps made in error - and ever since then, there has been a sort of pariah effect on songvideos being distributed. Forever?

Well, perhaps not forever.  Obviously you feel passionate about it, so why not see if you can affect a change in the policy DC Productions has concerning the distribution of DS music videos?

That's a very good point, that each "show" can determine what they will allow and what they will not. I totally understand that. Whom should I contact, do you think, to ask for permission to do this?

I'm not trying to be pushy about this - but perhaps I don't truly understand everything that went into making the decisions. From what I understood, vidders were asked not to sell their videos in the dealer's room, at the fest, or advertise on a website.

However, at the same time, homemade videos are welcome to be shown at the fest, on the mornings on Saturday and Sunday. If I've made them, I want to sell them. I make no money on them, and often eat the postage in an effort to share with anyone who wants them.

And I would not be attempting to flaunt anyone's authority, but if someone were to ask me for a copy of my vids, I would make it for them.

Regards,

Maine Girl

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2003, 06:40:35 PM »
Oh gosh, I promise that when I called you passionate about it I didn't equate it with being pushy.  :)

Jim Pierson may be able to tell you what the policy is concerning DS music videos.  You could reach him by snail mail sent to DCP.

I've seen a few music videos that I would buy, as well the Cheep Production videos.

Oops, meant to tell you sooner that you can IM ProfStokes.  Click on "Hey, Mainegirl, you have __ messages..." under the logo to access the feature.

Offline MaineGirl

• Junior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2003, 06:46:30 PM »
Oh gosh, I promise that when I called you passionate about it I didn't equate it with being pushy.  :)

Jim Pierson may be able to tell you what the policy is concerning DS music videos.  You could reach him by snail mail sent to DCP.

I've seen a few music videos that I would buy, as well the Cheep Production videos.

Oops, meant to tell you sooner that you can IM ProfStokes.  Click on "Hey, Mainegirl, you have __ messages..." under the logo to access the feature.

Hey, thank you! For all this good information. I'll snail mail Jim (there's an address for DCP?), and IM ProfStokes, and see what can be done there.  - and I hate coming across as pushy because sometimes, I just cannot stop arguing a point when I get passionate about something. Thanks for being understanding about it. :  )

One last....Cheep Productions videos? Any DS of interest there?

Regards,

Maine Girl

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2003, 08:04:33 PM »
Hi again Maine Girl,

Cheep Productions did a gloriously demented series of parody episodes of Dark Shadows.  The production values were actually rather stunning, given that these were totally fan written, acted, and produced.

I won't print any names due to the understandable desire of the fans involved for privacy, but the actor who plays Julia (a very talented young man who has Grayson's vocal inflections and mannerisms down to a T) is hysterical!  And he plays Barnabas, too!

One of the shows was called Save Our Cemeteries.  If memory serves, the plot revolved around a (sadly perpetually off-camera) scheming Count Petofi's plot to bulldoze the Eagle Hill Cemetery and turn the premises into a peep-show.

There was another one where Julia had cured Barnabas and he had to learn how to sleep in a bed again.  He kept sliding out, while wearing the cutest bat-printed pyjamas.  At some point Julia shows up in a Madonna outfit and performs a slinky dance to one of those early 90s sexaholic songs of hers.  I literally nearly died laughing!

Ah, the memories.

Steve

Offline MaineGirl

• Junior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2003, 08:35:54 PM »
Hi again Maine Girl,

Cheep Productions did a gloriously demented series of parody episodes of Dark Shadows.  The production values were actually rather stunning, given that these were totally fan written, acted, and produced.

I won't print any names due to the understandable desire of the fans involved for privacy, but the actor who plays Julia (a very talented young man who has Grayson's vocal inflections and mannerisms down to a T) is hysterical!  And he plays Barnabas, too!

One of the shows was called Save Our Cemeteries.  If memory serves, the plot revolved around a (sadly perpetually off-camera) scheming Count Petofi's plot to bulldoze the Eagle Hill Cemetery and turn the premises into a peep-show.

There was another one where Julia had cured Barnabas and he had to learn how to sleep in a bed again.  He kept sliding out, while wearing the cutest bat-printed pyjamas.  At some point Julia shows up in a Madonna outfit and performs a slinky dance to one of those early 90s sexaholic songs of hers.  I literally nearly died laughing!

Ah, the memories.

Steve

This is some new form of torture, right, Steve? Oh I hope you're getting a great deal of pleasure out of taunting me with this description!  ;)

I don't know how to post private messages, but I'd sure be interested in contacting someone from Cheep Productions to hear more about these.

Regards,

Maine Girl