Author Topic: Roger Davis sighting or, uh, hearing...  (Read 1113 times)

Offline Bill Malloys Ghost

• View Profile
Roger Davis sighting or, uh, hearing...
« on: August 20, 2012, 06:58:12 PM »
Everyone probably knows this already but.... Just the other day I was re-watching one of my favorite guilty pleasures, namely FLESH GORDON, the notorious softcore (and pretty hilariously spot-on) parody of the 1936 serial FLASH GORDON. It was the first time I'd viewed it since my beginning to watch DS for the very first time. Well, lo and behold, I realized that the distinctive voice reading the opening dedication to the serial's creators was none other than Peter Bradford himself!
Checking IMDB I see that he is not credited. Hardly surprising as many folk who participated in the flick's production received no (or didn't want?) credit. For instance it was only a few years ago that Craig T. Nelson was revealed to be the uncredited voice of the giant, cloven-hoofed monster (called the Nesuahyrrah by the animators) of the film's finale.
So (for whatever it's worth) there you have it. Just a tiny DS epiphany I had. If you'll excuse me; I must be getting back to Collinwood.  [ghost_rolleyes]

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Re: Roger Davis sighting or, uh, hearing...
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2012, 07:23:49 PM »
Interesting. I saw Flesh Gordon when it first came out in theaters in 1974. It was certainly a hoot and a half, but I don't remember RD's voice being used in it - but then, as most know, I tend to try to forget as much as possible about RD, so the fact that I don't remember him means diddlysquat.  [ghost_wink]

One thing I do remember, though, is that Variety gave it a truly horrendous review, the part of which that still comes to mind is that it was "puerile." Normally that wouldn't be a recommendation, but it made my friends and I want to see it all the more to see if it was really as bad and as 'puerile" as they made it sound. And, of course, the nudity certainly didn't hurt when it came to attracting a bunch of 18-year-olds.  [ghost_grin]

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2012, 07:37:17 PM »
Y'know, excuse me while I wipe some of Mrs. Johnson's excellent egg salad off of my face. I just gave another listen to the prologue and must revise my assertion. Most likely it isn't RD but it kinda shares a few vocal qualities that led me astray. The sound quality is a bit off, perhaps sped up somewhat, and it's a mite tinny so my memory did a little corrective editing of its own. *heavy sigh* Next time I'll double check BEFORE I post.  [ghost_wub]

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2012, 08:38:18 PM »
Hey Bill, interesting post.  For many years I had always thought that RD did the voiceover for the Night of DS movie trailers.  Then one day I happened to be listening through headphones and doubt struck me.  I checked in here with THE authority on the two 1970s DS feature films, the Honorable Mr. Darren Gross, and he confirmed that in fact it WASN'T Davis doing the v/o in that.

On the other hand, Grayson Hall mentioned in a circa 1980 interview having recently done the v/o for a commercial advertising a compilation of "The Greatest Hits of Blue Oyster Cult."  To hear THAT, I'd crawl over broken glass in a darkened alleyway.  lol.  Just another obsessed fan--and, as is well known, bitchy queen.

G.

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2012, 03:30:09 AM »
I just watched the NODS trailer and I can definitely see why one would assume RD had done to VO--it certainly sounds like him.
But that Grayson Hall commercial sounds like pure gold--I'd love to see that!

Offline Darren Gross

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2012, 07:21:44 PM »
On the other hand, Grayson Hall mentioned in a circa 1980 interview having recently done the v/o for a commercial advertising a compilation of "The Greatest Hits of Blue Oyster Cult."  To hear THAT, I'd crawl over broken glass in a darkened alleyway.

Heck, I'd step over someone who had just crawled through broken glass in order to hear that!
:)