Author Topic: Liz Goes Psychedelic  (Read 1316 times)

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
Liz Goes Psychedelic
« on: April 23, 2003, 09:56:54 PM »
From the montage, I take it that Liz's Leviathan Nightmare was aired today (but maybe it was yesterday).  What did folks think?  Although entertaining to watch, I always find myself clueless as to just how it's meant to accomplish the results of the dream.

Beautiful shot of Joan's horrified face in the funhouse mirror. Even in a state of shock, Liz manages to look stately!

Gothick

Offline Philippe Cordier

• (formerly known as Vlad)
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Re:Liz Goes Psychedelic
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2003, 02:03:43 AM »
It was on Tuesday's episodes.

Very 60s/70s, all right!  It seemed to almost require the viewer to have smoked something before viewing in order to truly appreciate it.

My favorite dream, though -- more coherent and chilling -- is David's birthday dream in 1897.

"Collinwood is not a healthy place to be." -- Collinsport sheriff, 1995

Offline jennifer

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • DSF God
  • we'll always love you Don!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2003, 06:10:17 AM »
It was on Tuesday's episodes.

Very 60s/70s, all right!  It seemed to almost require the viewer to have smoked something before viewing in order to truly appreciate it.

the colors/groovy you mean
My favorite dream, though -- more coherent and chilling -- is David's birthday dream in 1897.

i thought that dream was one of the scariest scenes in the series

j
we are the champions!!!!
 2007 Boston Red Sox
PAV

Offline jennifer

• DSF God
  • we'll always love you Don!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2003, 06:13:21 AM »

Beautiful shot of Joan's horrified face in the funhouse mirror. Even in a state of shock, Liz manages to look stately!

Gothick

that is why she'll always be my favorite Liz
that woman woke up elegant!
we are the champions!!!!
 2007 Boston Red Sox
PAV

Offline Luciaphile

• ** Collinsport Commentator **
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2003, 02:51:09 PM »
From the montage, I take it that Liz's Leviathan Nightmare was aired today (but maybe it was yesterday).  What did folks think?  Although entertaining to watch, I always find myself clueless as to just how it's meant to accomplish the results of the dream.

Who wrote this episode? Violet Welles? It smacked of her style--the lady knew how to write creepy dream sequences.

At the same time, it left me sort of perplexed (and I hate clowns). What's worse, it seemed to leave Liz just as perplexed for a minute or there too. The dialogue left me wondering if the writer forgot what they were doing and just sent the script in.

On another note, is it just me, or does Bennett seem to get better looking when they have her playing evil? The hair is driving me nuts, but she looked great in that black dress (more on that when I write up my column).
"Some people ask their god for answers to their spiritual questions. For everything else, there is Google." --rpcxdr-ga

Offline Debra

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2003, 09:05:21 PM »
I loved this scene also.  Thought that dream was creepy in it's own way.  The way David was carrying on with that evil laughter really added to it.

Deb

Offline Miss_Winthrop

• Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2003, 03:27:38 PM »
If this is the one I'm thinking of, wasn't there this rather nice looking man in a business suit smiling at her? I can't help but wonder what the underlying message of his being in her dream was. Perhaps Liz was repressing memories of Ned Calder?  Something definitely happened between the two of them and she really took a chance when she called him up wanting him to come back to Collinsport during the Bill Malloy scandal.

David's laughter is ghoulish and he does it quite well I think. 
One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.
~Virginia Woolf

Offline Cassandra

• Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2003, 10:15:04 PM »

I thought the dream was strange too but perhaps the significance of Barnabas and David being in her dream while all the while grinning from ear to ear was a way to win her over to their side.   David kept repeating to Liz how she needs to smile more often and be happy. This may have been a subtle way of trying to tell her that if she indeed joined in with them that she'd be a much happier person.   Whatever the ploy was though, it evidently worked.

Cassandra
"Calamity Jane"

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2003, 01:04:35 AM »
Thank goodness for that dream - I love Elizabeth playing an evil character!  Not only is Joan Bennett good at it, but I see a great deal of Judith Collins (the Widder Trask) in the new, improved, evil Elizabeth Collins Stoddard.  I'm sure, the condition she's in right now, she would've highly approved of her great aunt bricking up that schyster.  Maybe it was so easy for the Leviathans to influence Liz to their side because there's a gene of Great Aunt Judith inside her.  Can one just imagine what it would've been like if it had risen up when she had to deal with Jason Maguire?  He probably would've ended up as a roomate with the late, great Reverend Mister Gregory Trask.

Gerard

Offline Debra

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2003, 04:57:40 AM »
I agree Cassandra. I think they were probably trying to convince Liz that the grass is greener sort to speak on the other side.

Deb