Author Topic: OT - "Suspiria" Remake -- Jean Simmons?  (Read 847 times)

Offline Philippe Cordier

• (formerly known as Vlad)
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
OT - "Suspiria" Remake -- Jean Simmons?
« on: April 23, 2003, 01:03:29 AM »
By chance I came across a recent interview with Dario Argento. He is very upset with plans to remake "Suspiria."  He is doing everything he can to stop the remake with letters and pleas to the studio and producers, and is calling on the Internet community to bring pressure on them to stop it.

If they do remake it, do you think Jean Simmons would take on the Joan Bennet role???   :D

The more I've read about the background of this movie, the more respect I've gained for it.  It seems unlikely to me that the vision for the film and all of its elements would coalesce a second time to produce something as unique.  (If anyone saw the remake of "Psycho," you'll know what I mean. ... Fortunately, I only watched a few minutes of it and was spared ... )

Amazing, at the time the original thread on this was started, I had never even heard of "Suspiria" or Dario Argento ...

"Collinwood is not a healthy place to be." -- Collinsport sheriff, 1995

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Re:OT - "Suspiria" Remake -- Jean Simmons?
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2003, 07:36:45 PM »
I'd be willing to give a remake of Suspiria a chance.  The original has that unique something about it.  It wasn't exactly a great film; heck, it really wasn't one at all from a stuck-up, elitist, snooty perspective, but there's just something about it - I guess it's that it has "heart" to it (there have been, after all, "well-made" films that worked better than a Sominex), and that makes it work, which is the only really important matter.  So I'd be curious to see how it would fare in a remake.  As for Miss Simmons taking on the Joan Bennett role, now that would be the ultimate in cinematic irony, both actresses playing at times in their careers the same characters.

Gerard

Offline Miss_Winthrop

• Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2003, 02:26:33 AM »
I can't agree that Jean Simmons would be a good choice for the Bennett role in Suspiria.  I'd really love to see her character played by Francesca Annis!

One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.
~Virginia Woolf

ClaudeNorth

« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2003, 08:33:27 PM »
Don't know how I feel about a SUSPIRIA remake.  I love the film because of Dario Argento's visually exciting approach to the story.  It is such a unique film that any remake is bound to fall short.  If a remake were to happen, the best approach would be to call it something other than SUSPIRIA and to downplay the fact that it is a remake.  The problem I have with remakes is that the filmmakers don't seem to try hard enough to create a new approach and tone for the remake.  If the filmmakers can distance themselves from the original, then perhaps the remake would be worthwhile.

Regards,

John