Author Topic: Vickie's Dorothy Gale moment(s)  (Read 1209 times)

Offline Bobubas

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Full Poster
  • The Gates of Hell.
    • View Profile
    • Bob's Dark Shadow Event Photos
Vickie's Dorothy Gale moment(s)
« on: February 22, 2002, 05:07:50 PM »
Originally posted by Bob on the Dark Shadows: General Discussion Forum on February 22, 2002 at 11:07:50:

Poor Vickie. Every Collins she encounters "dramatically" resembles a relative of the 1967 clan. Couple that with the fact that even the 'non' Collins strangers she encounters are spitting images of people she knows from her time, and she is probably wondering who slipped her the "4-way windowpane". ;>)

Bob
Your Focus Determines Your Reality!
Everything in Life is only for now!

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Re: Vickie's Dorothy Gale moment(s)
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2002, 06:46:59 PM »
Originally posted by Gerard on February 22, 2002 at 12:46:59:
In Reply to: Vickie's Dorothy Gayle moment(s) posted by Bob on February 22, 2002 at 11:07:50:

And she doesn't even get a skanky, scruffy dog, or a pair of glitzy shoes, out of it, either! At least she could've asked Abigail if she ever thought of riding a bicycle.

Gerard

Offline ROBINV

• ** Robservationist **
  • Senior Poster
  • The Write Stuff
    • View Profile
    • Personal site of Robin Vogel
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2002, 06:53:22 PM »
Originally posted by ROBINV on February 22, 2002 at 12:53:22:
In Reply to: Vickie's Dorothy Gayle moment(s) posted by Bob on February 22, 2002 at 11:07:50:

After a while (and repeated viewings), listening to Vicki blather on about the resemblances, not realizing she has to shut her mouth or dig herself into a deeper hole, I really want to knock her lights out. It was different the first time, because I, too, felt the awe and disbelief she did. Once it wore off for me, however, I really thought it should have worn off for her, too--but it didn't!

Loved the nasty Abigail, the gorgeous costumes and jewelry, the sweet, giving Barnabas, and the seductive, vengeful Angelique. 1795 will always be my favorite non-present storyline on DS.

Love, Robin

Offline Barnabas

• Junior Poster
  • aka Grayson Hall
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2002, 07:00:27 PM »
Originally posted by Barnabas on February 22, 2002 at 13:00:27:
In Reply to: Re: Vickie's Dorothy Gayle moment(s) posted by Gerard on February 22, 2002 at 12:46:59:

You, Gerard of all people should know there were no bicycles in 1795! Abigail would not have been amused to be compared to the Wicked Witch of the West!

Abigail must be pretty clueless not to "percieve" the evil in Angelique! The one person upon whom she could practice her witch-hunting justifiably! What a shame it had to be poor Vicki. Why didn't Abigail zero in on Angelique when Vicki wasn't around to persecute?
"Aren't you Joan Bennett?"
"I used to be."

Offline Bobubas

• Full Poster
  • The Gates of Hell.
    • View Profile
    • Bob's Dark Shadow Event Photos
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2002, 07:13:05 PM »
Originally posted by Bob on February 22, 2002 at 13:13:05:
In Reply to: Re: Vickie's Dorothy Gayle moment(s) posted by Gerard on February 22, 2002 at 12:46:59:

dodo dodo do...do dodo dodo .........do!!!! LOL Gerard. Abagail does remind me of the wicked witch of the east. Other characters and their resemblances to those in the Wizard of Oz:

Tin Man.......Jerimiah. As soon as he laid eyes on Vickie you could sense a part of his heart was lost ot her.

Scarecrow.....Barnabas. A long time ago a friend offered me these words of wisdom: "Don't let your little head think for your big head." Had Barnabas heeded this advice whilst he was on Martinque, he could have avoided oh so many problems. ;>)

Cowardly Lion......Nathan.. Later on we learn just how much of a coward he is, but for now his bravado hides that. I've a feeling he would wet himself if someone snuck up behind him and yelled BOO. :>)

The Wizard.......Joshua.. He seems to have the answers for everything. To bad he can't explain his obvious dislike for himself. :>)

Any other characters you guys see fitting the roles?

Bob
Your Focus Determines Your Reality!
Everything in Life is only for now!

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2002, 10:54:07 PM »
Originally posted by Gerard on February 22, 2002 at 16:54:07:
In Reply to: Re: Vickie's Dorothy Gayle moment(s) posted by Bob on February 22, 2002 at 13:13:05:

Flying Monkey: Trask - his makeup is a little thicker, and his eyebrows hairier, but he'll do fine.

Talking Apple Tree: Bathia Mapes - she's more wrinkled, but if you watered her roots, she might blossom.

I can come up with some more, but I don't wanna hog it.

Offline kuanyin

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
You said it
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2002, 12:53:45 AM »
Originally posted by kuanyin on February 22, 2002 at 18:53:45:
In Reply to: Re: Vickie's Dorothy Gayle moment(s) posted by ROBINV on February 22, 2002 at 12:53:22:

OK, the first one or two people, but on and on? Everytime this unexpected time travel happens to a character in a book or on a show, I always wonder how long I would be a complete moron and refuse to accept the obvious truth.

What I find even more amusing is later in the series when a new character is introduced who looks EXACTLY like a previous character and NO ONE notices!
"If a thing is worth doing, it is worth doing badly, rather than not at all." G.K. Chesterton

Offline Ben

• Full Poster
  • That night must go ... nothing wrong.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2002, 02:11:10 AM »
Originally posted by Ben on February 22, 2002 at 20:11:10:

How true, Bob. What a cruel thing to do to someone so sweet and clueless! No wonder her mantra became, "I don't understand!"

Ben

Offline Rosaetta

• I love DS!
    • View Profile
Re: You said it
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2002, 02:17:56 AM »
Originally posted by Rosaetta on February 22, 2002 at 20:17:56:
In Reply to: You said it posted by kuanyin on February 22, 2002 at 18:53:45

I always wanted to yell at Vicki "Don't say that!" Knowing how suspicious people will be about someone "seeing" events and people. I do love how Angelique fools a lot of people in this story. You just wonder if everyone at the big house was taking a stupid pill.
I could watch anything with Barnabas, Quentin, Angelique, and Julia in it a dozen times.

Offline Luciaphile

• ** Collinsport Commentator **
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2002, 01:29:45 PM »
Originally posted by Luciaphil on February 23, 2002 at 07:29:45:
In Reply to: Re: Vickie's Dorothy Gayle moment(s) posted by ROBINV on February 22, 2002 at 12:53:22:

After a while (and repeated viewings), listening to Vicki blather on about the resemblances, not realizing she has to shut her mouth or dig herself into a deeper hole, I really want to knock her lights out. It was different the first time, because I, too, felt the awe and disbelief she did. Once it wore off for me, however, I really thought it should have worn off for her, too--but it didn''t!

The first couple of times, yes, I get why she would be freaked. Not a problem in the empathy department. As the story continues, however, and as presumably Vicki goes through days and nights, working and eating and sleeping and being menaced, you would think the reality of her situation would kick in and she would shut her mouth.

(rant over)

However, that being said, this is why I prefer to believe that Vicki is in real honest-to-God denial and in serious need of some therapy (by a more objective doctor than dear Julia). It explains much, including her encounters with a Roger Davis character.

Luciaphil
"Some people ask their god for answers to their spiritual questions. For everything else, there is Google." --rpcxdr-ga

Offline Joeytrom

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2002, 07:11:16 PM »
Originally posted by Joeytrom on February 24, 2002 at 13:11:16:
In Reply to: Re: Vickie's Dorothy Gayle moment(s) posted by Barnabas on February 22, 2002 at 13:00:27:

Why didn't Abigail zero in on Angelique when Vicki wasn't around to persecute?

In the original timeline Abigail had Phyllis Wick to accuse of being a witch.

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2002, 10:15:23 PM »
Originally posted by Midnite on February 24, 2002 at 16:15:23:

Bob's
Any other characters you guys see fitting the roles?

Gerard's
I can come up with some more, but I don't wanna hog it.

I wish you would! These are too funny.

Pity there wasn't another character seeking something from the Wizard. Then Peter Bradford could sing, "If I Only Had a Law Degree."

We haven't cast the cat in the woman's arms yet, though I guess that would be a spoiler. But I love that MB put the sweet pussycat into the montage... and if this was still a VantageNet board, I would not be able to say that.  ;)