Author Topic: New(er) OS DVD Packaging  (Read 1068 times)

Offline CastleBee

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
New(er) OS DVD Packaging
« on: August 08, 2012, 08:06:21 PM »
Back when they were being released, I couldn't seem to stop myself from buying the original series on DVD.  As a result, two shelves of space are now permanently devoted to them.  Not that I don't feel obligated to take care of my expensive kiddies but, I wouldn't mind an alternative if one were available.  Then, I noticed the latest version of the DVD set and what at least appears to be space saving packaging (unless there are multiple coffins in the series and not just one).

So, after I got over being envious I wondered if the packaging alone might be available - just as the second generation of cases were a few years ago.  I haven't had much luck figuring this out - does anyone out there know?  Any info is appreciated.  [ghost_grin]
“There is something haunting in the light of the moon; it has all the dispassionateness of a disembodied soul, and something of its inconceivable mystery." ~ Joseph Conrad

Offline Philippe Cordier

• (formerly known as Vlad)
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Re: New(er) OS DVD Packaging
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2012, 03:05:30 AM »
Castlebee,

I've been thinking along similar lines. I was able to get a quick look at the new "coffin" set at the festival, but didn't find out anything more about it than can be seen in the photo you've uploaded. I note that there are 22 DVD cases. Isn't that about how many make up the original sets? Yet these cases are very slim, I would estimate that they are about 1/4 the thickness of the original sets. And of course the original sets came in varying thicknesses, at least mine aren't all the same. I think they changed the packaging fairly early on in that release.

So now, like you, I would really like something that would save space. My entire set fits in a large gray plastic bin--not exactly ideal. On the other hand, I personally wouldn't want the coffin shaped box (too macabre, but also not exactly a space-saving design. The new individual DVD cases certainly save the space, though -- but on the other hand, I find the Barnabas in his coffin picture a little morbid too. I know, I know - that's the signature of DS, but still ...

I'm curious how many DVDs fit in each case--am guessing it must be four per case. If so, how well will the inside of these cases hold up? As it is, at least one of my cases of the original sets has hinges that fell apart, and I mean I had only opened and closed the case once or twice.

DVD packaging has improved in a lot of ways. When I pull out some of my older (non-DS) DVDs now, I find that my past frustration was perfectly justified--many of the "buttons" holding the DVD in place are hard plastic that absolutely will not budge for anything. With one case, I had to break off most of the little "tongs" of the button, and I remember having to bend a lot of DVDs to remove them from the case. Oddly, I never heard this problem addressed anywhere. Yet someone must have been aware of these packaging problems, because every DVD I buy now pops out easily; they've vastly improved that design.

One possible drawback with the new DS cases that I wonder about is if they are flimsy. Also, how are the DVDs arranged inside? With some sets of other DVDs I have, you have to take out overlapping DVDs to get out one on the bottom, etc. --again, what I'd call a poor design.

Even with my misgivings about the new set, I might be interested in purchasing the new packaging alone if it were available. But I've never heard of a company offering just the packaging for sale, without the DVDs!

As an aside -- boy, we could've saved a lot of money if we had held out till now to buy the complete set. On the other hand, I'm glad I've had the DVDs to watch whenever time permitted over these past few years.
"Collinwood is not a healthy place to be." -- Collinsport sheriff, 1995

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2012, 06:13:16 AM »
I've put my Dark Shadows DVDs in a zippered case that holds 144 DVDs, and stored the original packaging in a box somewhere.  There are 132 original series DVDs plus the 1991 series, and the Depp movie will go into the DVD case too, eventually.  So if ever there's an emergency evacuation in my area, all I have to do is grab my Dark Shadows case and my cat and I'm good to go.

Offline KMR

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2012, 04:40:35 PM »
Good to see you have your priorities straight, Lydia.  [ghost_grin]

Offline Philippe Cordier

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2012, 10:24:27 PM »
In case this review of the new collection hasn't been posted elsewhere:

http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/54328/dark-shadows-complete-original-series/

Besides giving an excellent and very appreciative overview of the series itself, this answers most of the questions raised about this collection, including a photo showing the inside of the individual cases - and yes, the DVDs do overlap one another within the plastic cases.

Offline Philippe Cordier

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2012, 03:17:11 AM »
OK, a little research, which maybe has already been posted.

The DVDs for the new complete set (what I call the "coffin collection") are not the same DVDs as those previously released. The new collection has 131 DVDs, housed in 23 cases. Interviews and other extras have been compiled on 5 separate DVDs instead of being found on the last disc of each set. So the series itself is complete on 26 discs. The Coffin Collection has 6 DVDs per case.

The original release consisted of 128 DVDs in 32 boxed sets, with four discs per case.

I imagine that the episode summary guide touted for the Coffin set is probably compiled from the individual inserts in each case from the original release.

Has anyone here purchased the new complete set? Someone must have, since the limited edition of 2,500 copies has sold out. I'm just wondering how people like the new set as compared to the original DVD releases. Something I'm wondering is, is the opening menu the same? I really disliked the loud "woosh" sound effect at the end of the menu on the original DVDs, right after you select which episode you wish to view.

Any comparisons?

Offline KMR

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2012, 04:28:00 AM »
The actual content on the discs in the coffin set is the same as in the "Collection" and "The Beginning" sets. They just have different labels printed on the discs, identifying them as part of the complete series set and the number of the disc in relation to that set. They still have the interviews dispersed throughout.  For instance, right now I have Disc 6 playing, which contains episodes 45-53, and it's called "Dark Shadows Collection 2” and "The Beginning" on the disc menu.  This disc would equate to Disc 2 in the "The Beginning" set 2.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2012, 04:44:25 AM »
Yes, as KMR said the discs in the boxed set are individually the same discs as was sold in the "Collection" and "The Begining" sets, with the exact same menus, eps, and extras. Whoever indicated that there might be any differences in any way had no idea what they were talking about. Like KMR, I know because I own the boxed set.  [ghost_smiley]

Where the boxed set deviates is that it also includes the three separate DVD releases: DS Bloopers & Treasures, DS Special Edition, and DS Reunion. That's why it has 131 discs and not just 128.

And as far as the quality in the packaging goes, I'm actually quite satisfied and I don't find it at all flimsy.  [ghost_nowink]

Offline Philippe Cordier

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2012, 03:06:32 AM »
Thanks for the clarification!  [ghost_happy]