Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0272  (Read 772 times)

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Discuss - Ep #0272
« on: August 08, 2012, 02:33:46 PM »
Robservations - #272

And if you'd care to look back, the first WP discussion topic for this ep:
Re: Discuss - Ep #0272

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2012, 02:52:33 PM »
There goes Jason, dashing out the door.  This is the best he can manage when his blackmailing scheme falls through?  He's had weeks and weeks to think about the possibility that Elizabeth might tell the truth to the world, and this is the best he can do?

Maybe he felt if he planned for the worst, then the worst would happen.  Or maybe he felt too sure of himself to be able to imagine the worst happening.  He's had this scheme in his mind for twenty years - his retirement plan, his golden parachute.  And if he had been capable of creating a fallback plan, maybe he wouldn't have needed one in the first place.

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2012, 03:37:41 PM »
He's had weeks and weeks to think about the possibility that Elizabeth might tell the truth to the world, and this is the best he can do?

I don't think the possibility of failure ever occurred to Jason. He was so sure of the hold that he had on Elizabeth, and so sure that she would never resist him or confess, that he never thought for a moment that he would need a backup plan.

I love the contrast between Jason's blustering and Elizabeth's utter calmness, now that she's confessed. Too bad Carolyn doesn't understand.

The locked room looks different from when Jason took Elizabeth there in 1949. Did Elizabeth rearrange things during one of her visits?

Just before Burke and the sheriff start digging, Burke comments, Once I wanted to see Liz destroyed, but not like this.

I've seen all the episodes twice from start to end, but I still remember the chill that went down my spine when Burke's shovel hits something hard, and they uncover the trunk.... 

IluvBarnabas

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2012, 06:21:10 PM »
I agree with Darklady. Jason has threatened, manipulated Elizabeth at every turn to let him have his own way(letting him move into Collinwood, and hot-headed Willie too, giving Jason a PR job for Collins Enterprises) and she has given in to EVERY demand he has made that he had no reason to believe that she'd ever stop. What I am surprised is that it never occured to Jason that someone else like maybe Carolyn might take the most drastic steps to stop him.

Burke dug up dirt on Jason but that failed, however Carolyn intended to murder the man. A possibility like his own murder is one Jason should have considered at some point. No matter how confident he was over his hold on Elizabeth, he knows that no one at Collinwood likes him, especially Carolyn.

I think Burke said that he realized he never really wanted to see Elizabeth destroyed at all, despite all evidence we saw to the contrary during the first year of the show. Change of actors aside, I believed Burke when he said that and that he always had a deep respect for Elizabeth despite their differences.

Carolyn just heard her mother confessing to killing her father. Her reaction was natural under the circumstances. I think if any one of us had been in her shoes, we'd have been shocked too.

Offline alwaysdavid

• Senior Poster
  • My journey is beginning,
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2012, 06:02:27 PM »
At least one mystery is solved fron the first season, and we know that the sobbing was Elizabeth with her foolish wasted tears.
you know there's a whole wing that's closed off all the time; the west wing, I go there lots of times

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2012, 05:32:52 PM »
Yes, we learn that Elizabeth was the woman who was sobbing, and it's a bitter disappointment: such a boring solution to the mystery.  I have a terrible time believing it, because the sobs didn't sound like Elizabeth.  But David Ford's singing voice doesn't sound like his talking voice, so I guess I must accept that Elizabeth sounds different when she sobs.