Author Topic: Most Precious Possession  (Read 1798 times)

Online Josette

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Most Precious Possession
« on: April 19, 2003, 08:13:58 AM »
I don't want to summarize my views of Leviathan at this point, as there is still so much to happen and I don't want to bother about spoilers.

However, my basic theme is that there are a lot of wonderful items and specific moments in the story, yet somehow this whole period leaves me feeling sort of icky.

As to those wonderful moments, though, this encounter between Barnabas and Paul is one of my favorites.  I LOVE that scene!  The coldness of Barnabas, even his smile and laugh, and then the realization of Paul when he learns what his most precious possession is - absolutely delicious!!
Josette

Offline Annie

• DSF God
    • View Profile
Re:Most Precious Possession
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2003, 04:14:09 PM »
[wavey] [wavey]  Hello Josette i thought it
was really cool myself i loved the scene!
              Love Anne
"Never Give Up On Your Dreams "I Didn't So Don't
You"    By Barry Manilow

Offline Mark Rainey

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • The Realm
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2003, 08:33:24 PM »
As to those wonderful moments, though, this encounter between Barnabas and Paul is one of my favorites.  I LOVE that scene!  The coldness of Barnabas, even his smile and laugh, and then the realization of Paul when he learns what his most precious possession is - absolutely delicious!!

You said it. Although I'd seen occasional episodes of DS at others' houses when I was a kid, this was the very first episode I got to watch in my own house (because it was when we got cable and were able to pick up the channel that carried the show). It really set a great tone to kick off the series for me, and it's probably why the "bad" Barnabas has always left such a strong impression on me. Plus, in all the other episodes I had seen, Barnabas was still a vampire; in fact it came as something of a surprise to me that, at this point in the storyline, he wasn't a vampire.

--Mark

Offline TERRY308

• Senior Poster
  • The real Mrs. Collins.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2003, 08:52:41 PM »
I agree Josette, I thought Barnabas was just wonderful.  The way he smiled...well..it plucked at my heart.   [luv]
Cassandra:  I have a potion.  You know it well.  As soon as she drinks it, within an hour, she will go to sleep and have the dream.
Nicholas:  I am much to talented to spend my time drugging drinks.

Offline onyx_treasure

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2003, 09:24:25 PM »
  Paul Stoddard was more than happy to leave his crying baby behind.  He seemed like the type to sell her to the gypsies.  However when payment came due, she was his only friend.
There are two means of refuge from the misery of life--music and cats.  Albert Schweitzer

Offline Cassandra

• Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2003, 07:31:33 PM »
Mark wrote:
It really set a great tone to kick off the series for me, and it's probably why the "bad" Barnabas has always left such a strong impression on me. Plus, in all the other episodes I had seen, Barnabas was still a vampire; in fact it came as something of a surprise to me that, at this point in the storyline, he wasn't a vampire

That's a good way of putting it Mark.  And although Im really not to fond of this storyline I do think that Barnabas gives a superb perfomance as the "new evil human Barnabas."     Hey, he's more evil than his old vampire self![deal2]

I do like the scenes between Carolyn & her Father though.  It's too bad it was under a more positive note, after all she waited 20 years to finally meet him and now this. >:(

Cassandra
"Calamity Jane"

Offline jennifer

• DSF God
  • we'll always love you Don!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2003, 09:26:07 PM »
My MPPs are driving me nuts and it is only the 4th day of school vacation! :o

jennifer
we are the champions!!!!
 2007 Boston Red Sox
PAV

Offline Luciaphile

• ** Collinsport Commentator **
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2003, 02:58:38 PM »
I get a major ick feeling from this entire plot, but this business about "your most precious possession" bothers me (surprise, surprise).

When I've heard that expression before, it's usually been in a rather different context. Usually as in physical objects (like a photograph, or a piece of furniture or some thing. Not as in actual people.

Come to think of it, if a person referred to me as a possession (which implies ownership), I would feel obliged to clock them.  8)
"Some people ask their god for answers to their spiritual questions. For everything else, there is Google." --rpcxdr-ga

Offline LoveAtFirstBITE

• Full Poster
  • A repressed hysteric
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2003, 08:25:36 PM »
I agree Josette, I thought Barnabas was just wonderful.  The way he smiled...well..it plucked at my heart.   [luv]

You said it, sister.  [thumb]

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2003, 08:45:38 PM »
Come to think of it, if a person referred to me as a possession (which implies ownership), I would feel obliged to clock them.  8)

I think most mothers think of their children as their most prized possession.....right up until the teen years, when we would gladly return them, if only the warranty hadn't run out.
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline LoveAtFirstBITE

• Full Poster
  • A repressed hysteric
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2003, 09:31:08 PM »
I think most mothers think of their children as their most prized possession.....right up until the teen years, when we would gladly return them, if only the warranty hadn't run out.

[idontknow]  Well, you know what they say.  [idontknow]Children are a reflection of their parents.  [vryevl]

LAFB--who comes with a lifetime warranty.  [deal2]

Offline Mark Rainey

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • The Realm
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2003, 12:22:30 AM »
Yep, the warranty on our young 'un has expired, and the maintenance fees are out of this world.

For years I've been laboring under the delusion that once our daughter graduated college, moved out of the house, and got a job and a place of her own, we'd be putting out fewer fires and spending less money.

Hahahahahaa....

--Mark

Offline Philippe Cordier

• (formerly known as Vlad)
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2003, 12:33:17 AM »
I get a major ick feeling from this entire plot, but this business about "your most precious possession" bothers me (surprise, surprise).

When I've heard that expression before, it's usually been in a rather different context. Usually as in physical objects (like a photograph, or a piece of furniture or some thing. Not as in actual people.

Interesting perspective.  Perhaps it is more appropriate for very young children.  I just read a brief story, I can't remember who the people involved were, but there was a wealthy countess or someone who showed off her many riches; and a woman of more limited means, who told a visitor to her home, as she showed her young children:  "These are my jewels."

And although Im really not to fond of this storyline I do think that Barnabas gives a superb perfomance as the "new evil human Barnabas."    Hey, he's more evil than his old vampire self

This is a good observation, Cassandra.  I meant to mention this in the Leviathan thread when I mentioned Frid's performance as one of the highlights of the new storyline.  You're right -- he's not identical to the "evil" Barnabas ... Frid has made a fine distinction in his portrayal; the "Leviathan" Barnabas is really an entirely new character.

Glad you pointed this out.

"Collinwood is not a healthy place to be." -- Collinsport sheriff, 1995