Author Topic: Random thoughts  (Read 894 times)

Offline Birdie

• Senior Poster
  • And her little dog too
    • View Profile
Random thoughts
« on: April 18, 2003, 01:54:42 PM »
Just had to mention how much I loved the scene between Paul and Liz.  Joan Bennett truly shined.

Also have to say I love David.  He is such a natural actor.  He reminded me so much of my brother at that age.  So very obnoxious.  He would have done the same thing to my older sister and drag me right along with him.  It is too bad they had to have David become one of the Levitations.

Carolyn has been acting like a reasonable adult especially with the Todds.  Her disbelief that they did not contact the Dr. with a sick child or try to contact the parents.  Thank goodness someone said that.    Cheers to Nancy.  She uses great eye expression and body language

Birdie
Birdie--
God please put your arm around my shoulder and your hand across my mouth

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
Re:Random thoughts
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2003, 06:57:24 PM »
Have to agree with you about Dennis and Joan in their wonderful scenes together today.  Liz at her most icy and imperious... Stoddard at his most desperate and clingy.  Fascinating contrast.  Really makes one wonder about their marriage, though.  When Joan uttered the line, "YOU nev-ah loved ANYONE," I got chills.

As for David, I thought Henesy played possession so well, it became a standard of EVERY storyline.  Daviathan is particularly eee-vil and vicious.  The scenes where he addresses his aunt as "Elizabeth" and rakes her over the coals for her failures to The Cause are unbelievable.  I give the actors due credit for taking those scenes so seriously.

Gothick

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2003, 07:25:55 PM »
I give the actors due credit for taking those scenes so seriously.

You know....we never talk about that, and we should.

This stuff could not have been easy to do.  We're always laughing about how bad the writing (sometimes) is, and how chaotic the lack of continuity is, and especially how amusing the gaffes and screw-ups are.

But these people showed up every day and worked with what they were handed.....and kept straight faces (almost always)..... and spoke those (sometimes idiotic) lines with the same effort they might have given to Shakespeare.

Think about how much harder it is to give life and excitement to drivel than it is to work with really wonderful dialogue.  How easy it is pace and modulate your performance when you're doing "Hamlet" and know you're going to end up with a stage full of dead bodies....as opposed to being handed pages of dialogue changes every morning, having NO idea where the story is going and STILL managing to make your character believable.

Surely film work, TV series and plays had to be EASY compared to Soap Operas.

I think applause all around is in order. [clap]

"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline Cassandra

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2003, 09:22:40 PM »
Just had to mention how much I loved the scene between Paul and Liz.  Joan Bennett truly shined.
Also have to say I love David.  He is such a natural actor.  He reminded me so much of my brother at that age.  So very obnoxious.  He would have done the same thing to my older sister and drag me right along with him.  It is too bad they had to have David become one of the Levitations.

You're so right Birdie.  I give them all credit. Especially for doing a show such as this one which was considered kind of out of the ordinary for a standard soap opera for that time era.

I always thought David did a superb job too!!  When it comes to something evil going on around Collinwood, you can best believe that David's caught right there smack in the middle of it all!!  These kind of things just seem to draw him in like a magnet!!

It's too bad that he never considered a full acting career when he left DS.  He could have done so much, especially with so many of the horror films that came out in the 70's. He was so natural at it and could have made a big name for himself in the acting world.   He had a natural talent for it which you can't say about too many other young actors.

Cassandra[/font]
"Calamity Jane"

Offline Misty

• Full Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2003, 02:09:38 AM »
 :) I was about to post a comment on the Joan---Dennis scene when I read yours. Now there's the Joan Bennett I remember and love. She can play a scene like that one better than almost anyone. My attention was not only on the delivery of the words, but oh! those glaring eyes!! I think this was one of the best scenes in the series.
                                                                     Misty
" Small things amuse small minds"--------at least my students have been led to believe!