Author Topic: Article on 83-year-old Malcolm Marmorstein on NewJersey.com  (Read 1400 times)

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
'Dark Shadows' writer made Nutley home

Saw this on Taeylor's Fb group, posted by John Redshaw.

And wow, this is one messy paragraph:  "During the ABC series, Marmorstein introduced the character of Phoenix, played by Laura Collins, a character that was reborn every 100 years. Most notably however, was the creation of the immortal vampire Barnabas Collins, played by young, blond, Jonathon Frid."

Offline Patti Feinberg

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • DSF God
    • View Profile
Re: Article on 83-year-old Malcolm Marmorstein on NewJersey.com
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2012, 08:40:07 PM »
Midnite,,,I wouldn't have noticed that...you crack me up honey!
What a Woman!

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2012, 02:35:43 AM »
i loved how the pheonix was "played" by laura collins. miss collins was a fine actress.

and really, the towheaded mr. frid was so "youthful" he was almost boyish. the flaxen hair. the porcelain skin. angelic. [ghost_wink]
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2012, 02:20:36 PM »
Yes, I, too, remember that wonderful actress Laura Collins.  But from what I recall, her career didn't go very far.  She did a few shtints on The $25,000 Pyramid and had a bit role in Friday the 13th Part XXXII:  Jason Goes to College.  Last I heard, she's developing a line of toaster cozies for QVC.  But I'll never forget watching her play Phoenix on DS.

Gerard

Offline Annie

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2012, 03:23:52 PM »
Hi  Midnite thats  really  awesome  i too loved how  Laura  Collins played the part!
                         Love  Anne [ghost_smiley] :) :)
"Never Give Up On Your Dreams "I Didn't So Don't
You"    By Barry Manilow

Offline Bob_the_Bartender

• Senior Poster
  • "Serenity is my favorite emotion."
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2012, 07:46:24 PM »
The MPI dvds featured a very interesting interview with Mr. Marmorstein.  Prior to becoming a prolific writer, Mr. Marmorstein worked in Manhattan in theatrical production on Broadway during the early 1950s.

Mr. Marmorstein worked on the Broadway production of "A Streetcar Named Desire," which featured such luminaries as Jessica Tandy, Karl Malden and a "certain" Mr. Marlon Brando.  In fact, Mr. Marmorstein related in the interview that he once took the then-ferry boat across the Hudson River over to Hoboken from New York City to visit with his friend, Marlon Brando, while the great method actor was appearing in Elia Kazan's classic film, "On the Waterfront," in 1954. 

My late Aunt Ruth was a young nurse, who worked in St. Mary's Hospital in the famous Garden State town of Hoboken (with, literally, a tavern on every corner, and also famed for being the birthplace of one Mr. Frank Sinatra) during that time; she remembered seeing Marlon Brando, Eva Marie Saint and Elia Kazan setting up the scene in the park in front of the Catholic Church on Hudson Street on her way to the hospital one morning.  Maybe she also caught of a glimpse of the extremely talented Mr. Marmorstein as well?       

Offline michaelhacketttodd

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2012, 12:06:22 AM »
The part of Laura Collins was played by Diana Millay.  Does anyone have current information on her?  We met in 2005 in Secaucus, New Jersey.  She was at a Halloween Expo, along with Kathryn Scott and Marie Wallace.  Her health was failing even then (According to Ms. Scott) and she may be in an Assisted Living Facility in the New York City area.  Please advise.