Author Topic: ShadowGram Update #267 -- DS Weekend Prog. & Guests, DS Movies, Note from Marcy  (Read 710 times)

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
SHADOWGRAM OFFICIAL ONLINE DARK SHADOWS NEWS
http://movies.groups.yahoo.com/group/ShadowGram/

Update Number 267.
July 24, 2012

---- UPDATE: PROGRAMMING HIGHLIGHTS FOR THIS WEEKEND'S "DS DAY AT COLLINWOOD" & "LUNCHEON WITH THE STARS"
---- ALL 3 DARK SHADOWS MOVIES TO BE RELEASED ON DVD / BLU-RAY
---- A PERSONAL NOTE FROM MARCY ROBIN, SG EDITOR / SG OFFICIAL DS NEWS ONLINE UPDATES & SG YAHOOGROUP

**** UPDATING:
DS FESTIVAL SPECIAL EVENTS:
"DAY AT COLLINWOOD"
"LUNCHEON WITH THE STARS"
THIS WEEKEND: JULY 28-29, 2012

Saturday, July 28 - A DAY AT COLLINWOOD
Lyndhurst Estate, 635 South Broadway,Tarrytown, NY 10591
Sunday, July 29, 2012 - DARK SHADOWS LUNCHEON
DoubleTree Hotel, 455 South Broadway, Tarrytown, NY 10591
(914) 631-5700

SG is asked to report: "The Saturday event at the historic Lyndhurst Estate - the filming location for the movies 'House of DS' (1970) and 'Night of DS' (1971) has reached capacity and unfortunately no entries at the door will be allowed. (The event was advertised as limited with required advance registration.)
"For anyone attending the Sunday Luncheon and autograph session, the extensive Lyndhurst grounds will be open that afternoon to those who would like to visit and did not attend the Saturday activities. Fans also may go to the historic Sleepy Hollow Cemetery, a short 5-10 minute taxi ride from the hotel and Lyndhurst."
---- GUESTS: Lara Parker, Kathryn Leigh Scott, Jerry Lacy, Marie Wallace, Sharon Smyth.
Other special appearances expected.
Our guests will speak on Saturday, and on both days will sign autographs, pose for pictures, and offer their photos, books, and CDs for purchase. Fans may bring their own items to be signed, but please limit to one item each so all attendees can have time to speak with the guests.

---- SATURDAY, JULY 28
We honor the memory, career, life, and legacy of JONATHAN FRID, DS' "Barnabas Collins."

SG PREMIERE ANNOUNCEMENT:

Jonathan was looking forward to joining us this weekend and was in the process of selecting scene clips to discuss onstage. Sadly, as SG and international media reported, he was 87 when he passed away on April 14 at a hospital in his hometown of Hamilton, Ontario, Canada.

Our special memorial salute to Mr. John Herbert Frid is Saturday afternoon at the Lyndhurst Estate.
The DS scene clips he had selected will be shown, with comments on the theme 'The Many Moods of Barnabas.'" Mark Lawrence worked closely with John on his recent one-man presentations and talks at the Fests, for DVD performance collections, and other projects. Mark also was webmaster and helped immensely with all areas of John's website, its commentaries and content. Mark will screen "never-before-seen videos he and Jonathan did, including one of a working session." John's nephew Don Frid "will speak about his Uncle John." A number of personal reminscences also will be shared.

Many special items from John's personal collection will be available for purchase. These include "tapes from his one-man shows, DVDs, signed documents, hand-written notes and more. Auction items include the 'Night Whispers' poster signed by John Karlen, which hung in John's gallery in his home in Ontario.

--- SG welcomes and appreciates photos, video footage, media coverage, and other material fans share about the Tarrytown weekend.

I hope to see you there!

***** "HOUSE OF DS"(1970) & "NIGHT OF DS" (1971) BEING RELEASED AT LAST

**** "DARK SHADOWS" (2012) STARRING JOHNNY DEPP BEING RELEASED

SG is asked to report: The MGM motion pictures HOUSE OF DARK SHADOWS and NIGHT OF DARK SHADOWS are finally being issued on DVD and on BluRay Disc by Warner Brothers Home Entertainment, on Oct. 30.

SG reports this latest confirmed information: "Both films have been digitally re-mastered. The releases will feature the original US theatrical trailer for each but, unfortunately, no other bonus material is to be included. These will be the original theatrical versions of both movies.

"It was hoped that Dan Curtis' director's cut of NIGHT OF DS, which includes over half-an-hour of deleted material, would be offered. But Warners has decided not to pursue this at this time. Hopefully the full-length NIGHT OF DS will be restored soon for future distribution. "

Also just confirmed:"The 2012 DARK SHADOWS movie starring Johnny Depp and directed by Tim Burton will be out on DVD and BluRay on Oct. 2 This release will have a number of bonus features, such as behind-the-scenes interviews, including comments from original DS actors David Selby, Lara Parker and Kathryn Leigh Scott, who were seen in cameo appearances in the recent film."

SG has chronicled this DS movie since it was first publicly announced July 27, 2007. Shot on locations in England last year, it was released in the US and other countries on May 11 and had more international releases in the weeks following. It still is being shown in some theaters across the US and beyond.

((See SGs from 2007 on for ongoing coverage of the film as it developed from first announcement to filming. Also see the upcoming Double SG #122-#123 print issue, the full and complete Official DS Newsletter.))

**** A PERSONAL NOTE FROM MARCY ROBIN

SG in print and these Online Updates have had a rough time over the past couple of years. I've mentioned how Real Life matters have unexpectedly and repeatedly impacted my entire life, not just my all-volunteer SG/DS work.

I've had a number of major health / medical challenges that required extensive sick leave from my job. I've returned to work, where there are time-consuming demands as well. Through it all, I've tried to keep up with e- and postal- mail correspondence and everything else. But often it just wasn't possible to do all I want to do.

I regret any concern or inconvenience caused by periods when I did not post a SG Online Update. I'm also sorry there's been a long delay between SG print issues.

Yet most of all, I am touched by the caring, encouraging thoughts and wishes from so many DS cast / crew / fan friends, SG subscribers, and SG YahooGroup members. Your kindness, patience, and understanding have helped me through so much. Thank you.

I've continued working on a new Double SG #122-#123 whenever I can. It will include much DS news, a tribute to Jonathan Frid and acknowledgements of other DS personnel we've recently lost. There also will be the DS movie, Fest events, new merchandise, special DS references, DS in the Media, DS filming locations, and YOU, The Fans.

Marcy Robin
ShadowGram@aol.com
ShadowGram1@yahoo.com
www.ShadowGram.com (hopefully to be updated soon)

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile

Update Number 268.
July 25, 2012
Greetings from the guest editor, Kathleen Resch. Marcy is in transit to the Festival right now, but as a number of people have asked for more information on where and when to register for this weekend's events, here goes:

DARK SHADOWS WEEKEND IN TARRYTOWN, NEW YORK
THIS SATURDAY & SUNDAY

Registration information for Saturday's DS gathering at the Lyndhurst Estate and the Sunday DS luncheon and autograph session at the nearby DoubleTree Hotel Tarrytown. (Both events are sold out and required advance registration.)

SATURDAY at Lyndhurst:

Registration will be on the Lyndhurst Estate (filming site for the movies "House of Dark Shadows" and "Night of Dark Shadows").

Check-in starts at noon.

For local attendees or those staying Friday night at the DoubleTree Hotel Tarrytown, wristbands for Saturday may be picked up in advance at the DoubleTree Hotel on Friday afternoon from 4-7 pm in the lobby at the Dark Shadows registration table.

Saturday's event at Lyndhurst begins at 12 noon and continues until 9pm. Attendees may begin arriving at 12 noon and must pick up wristbands at the Dark Shadows registration table in the carriage house adjacent to the stables complex.

There is no fee for parking on the estate. Direction signs are posted at the entry of Lyndhurst.

THE DARK SHADOWS LUNCHEON AT THE DOUBLETREE (455 South Broadway, Tarrytown, NY 10591)
opens at 11:30 am on Sunday morning. Attendees may pick up their banquet tickets in advance on Friday afternoon from 4-7 pm as well as Sunday morning at the DoubleTree after 11 am.

Parking at the DoubleTree hotel is free.

For anyone in the Tarrytown area who was not able to attend either event due to being sold out, all of the Dark Shadows actors attending the DS Weekend will be available for autographs and merchandise will be sold from 2-5pm Sunday afternoon at the DoubleTree with free admission.

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Hope everyone attending the Festival/Weekend/DS Day (whatever it's called) has a wonderful time!