Author Topic: Rare Film "Berkeley Square" Airs on TCM Tonight 9:45 E.T.  (Read 715 times)

Offline Philippe Cordier

• (formerly known as Vlad)
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Rare Film "Berkeley Square" Airs on TCM Tonight 9:45 E.T.
« on: July 25, 2012, 02:29:56 AM »
A film I have wanted to see for years which has never been released on VHS or DVD airs tonight for the first time on TCM. From the 1930s with Leslie Howard. The theme is time travel, and I recall that Gothick once mentioned this film as a possible inspiration for DS's 1795 storyline. I read the play which was somewhat reminiscent with a man in search of his ancestors. The play was inspired by an unfinished novel by Henry James, who was inspired in turn (I think) by H.G. Wells. Unfortunately, I'm still at work and with too much going on at the moment probably won't see much of it myself.
"Collinwood is not a healthy place to be." -- Collinsport sheriff, 1995

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
Re: Rare Film "Berkeley Square" Airs on TCM Tonight 9:45 E.T.
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2012, 04:49:25 AM »
How cool.  I definitely see it as an inspiration for the 1795 storyline with the idea of Victoria being transported back to the 1790s. 

"Berkeley Square" also has the distinction of having been H. P. Lovecraft's favorite film.  Lovecraft, whose "Call of Cthulhu" was an important source for the Leviathans storyline, died in 1937 and generally didn't like films.   

Thanks for the notice, M. Philippe!

G.

Offline Philippe Cordier

• (formerly known as Vlad)
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Rare Film "Berkeley Square" Airs on TCM Tonight 9:45 E.T.
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2012, 06:48:37 PM »
I did see about the last 45 minutes or so. The acting was a bit dated, though the final scene was effective when Leslie Howard has returned from the cemetery in the present day, having discovered that the woman he loved in the past (in the 1790s) had died shortly after he met her in his journey through time.

I think the remake with Tyrone Power, "I'll Never Forget You," holds up better today, and it's available on DVD as part of a Tyrone Power boxed collection.

Interesting that Lovecraft was so enthused with the movie.
"Collinwood is not a healthy place to be." -- Collinsport sheriff, 1995