Author Topic: The Professor's Profession  (Read 1429 times)

Offline Philippe Cordier

• (formerly known as Vlad)
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
The Professor's Profession
« on: April 15, 2003, 01:21:28 AM »
A while back we had a spirited discussion regarding the exact occupation of Professor Timothy Eliot Stokes.  Some thought him to be a history professor, some an English prof, an Education prof, and a sociologist, if memory serves correct.  Someone else insisted that he was a medical doctor.

My personal take was that Stokes is a professor of psychology with a specialty in parapsychology.  (It was during the 1970s that parapsychology departments began springing up as offshoots of psychology departments, e.g. SRI at Stanford, etc.)  With his interest in the occult and the I-Ching, I would particularly see him as Jungian psychologist (psychology pioneer Jung was deeply interested in the occult, psychic phenomena, and the I-Ching).

Friday's episode brought this discussion to mind again when Professor Stokes tells Julia that he is going to see the "patient."  "The patient?" Julia asks, with a slightly wry smile.  Stokes explains that a doctor-so-and-so has called him in to consult on the case of Sabrina what's her name.

This exchange reinforced my view that Professor Stokes is indeed a professor of psychology, though not currently a psychological practioner.  It seems he would have been called in because of his expertise in psychology ... at least that seems more likely to me than a doctor calling in a history prof, English prof, etc.

And Julia's comment and expression would seem to argue against the view that Stokes has a medical degree.  If he had, why the wry smile about him seeing a "patient"?

Most likely, Professor Stokes has had some experience seeing clients but is primarily an academic psychologist today -- with a special interest in psychic research at Rockport College.

"Collinwood is not a healthy place to be." -- Collinsport sheriff, 1995

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Re:The Professor's Profession
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2003, 01:26:45 PM »
I always thought he was a psychologist (with what I guess you could call a "minor" in sociology), along with his interest in spooky things.  To me, I just took it for granted that his area was primarily psychology.

Gerard

Offline Cassandra Blair

• Full Poster
  • Hey sailor, how 'bout I light your Lucky?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2003, 03:42:45 PM »
Me too, although I always imagined that the University of Maine at Rockport (or wherever he teaches) had a department of Parapsychology, of which perhaps the good Prof. Stokes was chair.

Although he must've been on sabbatical, for all the time he spent around Collinwood.  ::)
My lady abandoned heaven, abandoned earth...to Ray's Wig World she descended.

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2003, 03:48:16 PM »
I just remembered that a friend of mine teaches Engineering at a school in the Rockport area!!  I'll have to ask her about the Parapsychology Dept.!!  ;D
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline Patti Feinberg

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2003, 05:44:11 PM »
I agree, except wouldn't everyone call him 'Doctor' Stokes?

(I know if I spent that kinda time/money...I'd want the 'glory!)

Patti the parawoman
What a Woman!

Offline ProfStokes

• * Ingenious Intellect *
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2003, 10:19:00 PM »
I've come to believe that the character of Professor Stokes was based on Professor Hans Holzer, an occultist and self-styled "ghost hunter" who has written a number of books about his encounters with the supernatural.  Prof. Holzer often uses mediums when going into the field; Prof. Stokes seemed to know Madame Findley pretty well--perhaps they worked together under similar circumstances prior to Quentin.  Holzer was prominent during the 1960's and was even called in as a consultant for the seance scene in Night of Dark Shadows so Curtis & co. must surely have known about him while writing the series.  He has a PhD, but I'm not sure what it's for.  Holzer was educated abroad, so it's possible that his degree is in parapsychology (there are no such programs in the states.)  I would agree that Stokes is primarily involved with psychology.

ProfStokes

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2003, 10:49:56 PM »
[Hans Holzer] has a PhD, but I'm not sure what it's for.  Holzer was educated abroad, so it's possible that his degree is in parapsychology (there are no such programs in the states.)  ProfStokes

I'm not so sure about that.  Some of the professors I had in graduate college were really way out there.

Gerard

Offline Philippe Cordier

• (formerly known as Vlad)
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2003, 11:41:38 PM »
I've come to believe that the character of Professor Stokes was based on Professor Hans Holzer, an occultist and self-styled "ghost hunter" who has written a number of books about his encounters with the supernatural.  Prof. Holzer often uses mediums when going into the field; Prof. Stokes seemed to know Madame Findley pretty well--perhaps they worked together under similar circumstances prior to Quentin.  Holzer was prominent during the 1960's and was even called in as a consultant for the seance scene in Night of Dark Shadows so Curtis & co. must surely have known about him while writing the series.  He has a PhD, but I'm not sure what it's for.  Holzer was educated abroad, so it's possible that his degree is in parapsychology (there are no such programs in the states.)  I would agree that Stokes is primarily involved with psychology.

I don't know very much about Hans Holzer (my impression is that he is not as erudite as our professor), but it seems reasonable that he may have been at least partial inspiration for the character of Professor Stokes.

"Collinwood is not a healthy place to be." -- Collinsport sheriff, 1995

Offline sheenasma

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Full Poster
  • Sheena
    • View Profile
    • NancyMck's Dark Shadows Events
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2003, 03:45:52 AM »
I always figured him for one of those guys whose verbosity lent him credence while inspiring the curiosity of others, who would be too intimidated by his arroagance to dare ask.

I like him, though.

n
Beware of all enterprises that require new clothes - Henry David Thoreau

Screw Thoreau - sheenasma
GHP