Author Topic: Robservations 4/15/03 - #892-893 - Big Surprise For Carolyn; Mom & Pop Todd  (Read 1308 times)

Offline ROBINV

• ** Robservationist **
  • Senior Poster
  • The Write Stuff
    • View Profile
    • Personal site of Robin Vogel
892 - KLS' intro tells us that Megan and Philip don't have any inkling of the danger they are in, but both have had premonitions, so that isn't really true.

In the second go-round of the previous episode's final scene, the whooshing sound from the box was replaced by a whistle. Philip's mouth drops open, and Megan stares in amazement, at the contents of the box.

A book, far too large to fit in the box, is inside. Megan wonders if Barnabas knew something was in the box. She opens the book--it's written in a language they've never seen before.  I'm going to bring it back to Barnabas when I go for the furniture, says Philip. Do you think Barnabas will understand it? asks Megan.  I doubt it, says Philip. Megan opens the box again and finds a scroll inside, in English.
She reads, "The waters shall nourish each grain of sand..." yadda yadda yadda, I'm not writing it out every time! Philip finishes the last two lines and they wonder what it's all about. I think I almost know, says Megan.  I will ask Barnabas about that, too, says Philip--I'm hungry, what's for dinner? Spaghetti, she says, and don't dare mention we had that last night. And the night before, he reminds her--I thought this box would make a change in our lives, but I see it's exactly the same.

Maggie pulls a dress out of a box in the Collinwood foyer--Carolyn, they're giving things away at Shepherd's today. Carolyn looks over the dress (paisley, not my taste), and says, I wish I'd known--I love the dress. They had a blue silk you would have loved, Maggie--come with me tomorrow and look at it. No, Carolyn says--I promised to help the Todds in the shop. (CAROLYN HAS A JOB???)  I'll pick you up after you're finished, offers Maggie. You might be late, says Carolyn. Oh, says Maggie, looking smug and mysterious, not too late for what we have to do. She grins at Carolyn in an "I know something you don't know" manner.

Philip and Megan sleep in their beds. (She's got the infamous afghan on hers.) The Naga book and box sit on a table at the foot of their bed(s)   (yes they sleep in separate beds, pushed together. Megan begins to dream: Barnabas calls her name--Megan, today you came to me, tonight I come to you. She sits up, looks at him and says, I'm different tonight than today. Because you have opened the box, read the scroll, he says. We see visions of the box, book and scroll superimposed on the scene as Megan says, soon our flesh will be restored. The book will guide you when they are restored, he says, and now it's time to prepare--listen carefully and do as I tell you. Yes, Master, she agrees. As you have become the chosen one, says Barnabas, so this room will become the Chosen Room, and now you must make it ready. How? she asks. Close off all windows so no light comes in--the room must be dark, for darkness knows us as we know darkness. Yes, Master, agrees Megan. Remove all furniture except that which is necessary, he says. I understand, says Megan. And most important, says Barn, you must not let anyone come into this room except those who believe..
Megan swears on this one, wondering how will Il explain? You will tell those who ask that your sister has entrusted you with this...thing, instructs Barnabas. I have no sister, says Megan. You have MANY sisters, corrects Barn, and at the right time, you'll meet them. Yes, Master, she agrees. You have been chosen wisely, he says--and now I must go--I will return when there is reason to do so. He gives her the Naga wave and tells her, sleep well, dreamlessly--when you have finished your little sleep, you will not recognize me in the waking world, all that you will remember is what must be done, and you will do it, without question...without question...without question...  Megan murmurs the words in her sleep, then wakes up, calling Philip. He's gone from his bed.  She's frightened, panicky. When he enters the bedroom, carrying planks of lumber, she asks, where were you?  He puts down the planks and tells her the windows must be closed off so no light can come in. Who told you to do that? she demands. I don't remember who, replies Philip, but it must be done--without question. Megan repeats the words--we both had the same dream, she says. He looks at the Naga box.

Philip hammers a nail into a board covering the windows in his former bedroom. The furniture has been removed from the room, leaving it empty. They walk around it, looking dazed.

Carolyn uses a feather duster to dust the antiques in the shop. She finds the Naga book and wonders what it is and where it came from, and most importantly, who will buy it, whatever it is? She puts it down on the table and answers the phone. She tells the caller Megan is busy and offers to check on something that interests the caller--the cradle. Carolyn tells Mrs. Cortwright it is available--shall I hold it for you?--it's no trouble at all.  "You see, Carolyn," she proudly tells herself, "there is someone for everything." She continues her dusting, again spots the book, and says maybe even this Megan comes downstairs.  I sold Philip's folly, says Carolyn--the cradle we thought we'd all grow old with. It's not for sale, says Megan.  But Mrs. Cortwright wants to buy it, protests Carolyn, and she doesn't know it's reduced. Not for sale, insists Megan. All right, your cradle, your shop, says Carolyn. Philip comes downstairs and carries the cradle up. Carolyn, puzzled, watches them. Maggie enters the shop and asks, Carolyn, are you almost finished? I must make a phone call, says Carolyn, confused. What's the matter? asks Maggie. Have you ever had the feeling you didn't know someone, someone you thought you knew very well? Asks Carolyn. I sometimes feel that way when I look in the mirror, jokes Maggie. Carolyn calls Mrs. Cortwright to report the cradle is spoken for, sorry. Maggie is checking out the Naga book.  It's new, says Carolyn. Last thing I'd call it, says Maggie, looking at some of the pages--let's go shopping--we can stop by the Blue Whale for a drink. Carolyn isn't in the mood for shopping or a drink, but Maggie insists, you can't let me down now--a visit to the Blue Whale will give you a whole new outlook--considerably. Carolyn, however, looks grim.

Philip sets the cradle down in their former bedroom. Soon it will be time, he says.  Megan agrees..
We must close the shop, says Philip. What about Carolyn? asks Megan. Tell her to leave, says Philip. Suppose she questions me? asks Megan. She'll know soon enough, says Philip, everyone will know. Megan agrees--you're right; I will tell Carolyn to leave, shut the door after her, pull down the shades. "In darkness it will come," says Philip, in darkness it will grow..." "And darkness it will bring," finishes Megan, leaving the room. Philip closes the door and leaves the cradle alone. It begins to rock by itself, creaking noisily, but it appears that nothing is inside.

Antique shop - Carolyn is working at the desk while Maggie looks around. Megan comes down and abruptly tells Carolyn, don't bother writing down today's sales--Philip can do it. No trouble, says Carolyn. "I said, PHILIP can do it," insists Megan. Carolyn looks at her, surprised.  We're closing, says Megan. But it's not time, protests Carolyn. It's almost time, says Megan. Maggie comes over with what looks like Pansy's boa and asks to buy it. Sure, says Carolyn.  Tomorrow, says Megan, I must close up now. All right, says Maggie.  Megan, are you all right? asks Carolyn. Yes, Megan assures her, now scoot! She almost pushes both women out the door, then closes and locks the door, shuts the blinds. Philip helps her, both of them acting as if under a spell. They stand there, looking both scared and hopeful, staring upstairs raptly.

Over drinks at the Blue Whale, Maggie tells Carolyn, the dress looked good on you. I don't know, Carolyn says--some days, nothing seems right. Is something bothering you? asks Maggie.  I've been feeling odd for the past few days, confesses Carolyn, as if something is going to happen--I shouldn't have gone shopping or here, as a mater of fact--I'm finishing the drink and going home. No, says Maggie sharply.  Why? asks Carolyn. "You really shouldn't, that's all," says Maggie mysteriously, that odd, self-satisfied grin on her face again. Carolyn sips her drink.

Megan and Philip are still staring upstairs. It's time, isn't it? she asks. Yes, it is, agrees Philip. They slowly walk upstairs...

Maggie is doing her damndest to talk Carolyn out of leaving the Blue Whale--have another drink, she encourages. What's wrong with everyone today? Asks Carolyn--first Megan behaving strangely, now you--I used to like helping out in the shop, but today I felt I was in the way, a rich girl amusing herself while they had serious things on their minds--and I didn't like it--I don't want to go back there again--what do you think? Have another drink and we'll talk about it, suggests Maggie. I don't want that, insists Carolyn--I have to go. Paul Stoddard enters the bar.  Maggie grins when she sees him walk past their table. Carolyn covers her mouth in shock--the man who just came in--I've been seeing him skulking around Collinwood the past few days--once I ran into him, asked what he wanted, and he couldn't give me a straight answer. He's coming to our table! gasps Carolyn. Grinning, Maggie says, "Maybe he'll give you a straight answer now."  I don't want to talk to him! hisses Carolyn.  I think you should, says Maggie. The man walks over to Maggie and greets her by name. It's good to see you again, she says warmly. Carolyn is nonplused. Maggie, looking embarrassed, excuses herself--to give you two some privacy. She leaves. Paul sits down. I don't understand any of this, says Carolyn. I'll admit it's a strange situation, introducing yourself to your own daughter, he admits.  "Daughter?" asks Carolyn. "Yes, Carolyn, I am Paul Stoddard--your father," he says..
Carolyn is absolutely floored.

NOTES: Creepy! Very! People were clamoring for the old, evil Barnabas back, and that's why they made him this way in this storyline. However, he's even more horrible than he was in his first storyline, without a soul, and many people who wanted to see Barn get evil again complained they went too far the other way.

The cradle, the waiting...all very suspenseful. It's just a shame we now lose the normal, friendly Todds to this force that will take over their home, hearts and minds.

Paul Stoddard is back! And being played by the same actor who played Jason McGuire, the SOB who blackmailed Liz! How will Carolyn react to this man she hasn't seen since the age of two? What does he want from her now?

The least the damn creature could have done was taken another room, rather than stealing Megan and Philip's from them. What did you think of those twin beds? Was that really necessary, back then?

893 - Carolyn, I am your father, the mysterious man tells the stunned young woman.

Paul smiles at Carolyn. If it's true you're my father, says Carolyn, and Maggie knew and arranged this--I will never forgive her!  Upset, she gets up to leave. Paul takes her hand--where are you going? he asks.  Do you expect me to just sit here under the circumstances? demands Carolyn.   No, says Paul, but I've been away 20 years, and I think it's worth five minutes of your time--will you give me that? How can I? she asks, after what you did to my mother?  If a man is granted only five minutes of his lovely daughter's time, says Paul, I'd be foolish to waste it on denials--I admit it--I was poor, Liz' money tempted me, and I tried to take it from her--I'm sorry--since then, I have learned money isn't all that important. Furious, Carolyn chastises him for talking of money and its meaning, and doesn't even mention the rest--what you did to my mother--for nearly 20 years, Collinwood was her prison, while you enjoyed yourself on her money, roaming the world and laughing at her. Why was Collinwood a prisoner to her? asks Paul. Because she thought herself a murderess, retorts Carolyn. Who did she think she killed? asks Paul.  You, Mr. Stoddard, says Carolyn--you do remember planning to steal money, bonds and jewels from her, and the night she caught you and hit you over the head--what about the rest of it, what happened between you and Jason McGuire? How do you know about him? asks Paul. Oh, I know all about that night, says Carolyn, when he told my mother you were dead and he'd buried you in the basement. He told Elizabeth THAT? asks Paul, genuinely surprised. That's exactly what he told her, says Carolyn, and she'd have believed it all her life, and wasted all of her life, if Jason hadn't gotten greedy and came back here. When did he come back? asks Paul. A few years ago, she says, and tried to blackmail Mother into marrying him--he forced her to go through with the  divorce, and almost succeeded, except we opened the trunk in the basement, and she learned she'd killed no one--it was all a cruel conspiracy between you and Jason. Paul assures her, I had no part in what Jason told your mother. Then why did you go away--and stay away? demands Carolyn. Because it was the night of the big lie for me, too, he says--when I came to in that basement, Jason was with me--he told me Liz had paid him a great deal of money to finish what she'd started--to kill me. How could you believe she would do such a thing? cries Carolyn. How could Liz believe I could do such a thing? He counters--but she did, and I did, and we each wasted 20 years of our lives--for that matter, asks Paul ruefully, how could I believe Jason would do me such a big favor--keeping the money and handing me back my life, provided I'd leave Collinwood and never come back--I believed all that, too. Where did you go? Asks Carolyn.  Everyplace is the same for a man without money, says Paul--I happened to go to California, and what's odd is, I turned my hand to this and that, and all turned out well--I had everything I wanted, except for one thing--my daughter--I traveled everywhere except the one place I really wanted to go, and when I saw you in the woods, I knew you were everything I'd ever dreamed, and a little more--I should have let it drop right there--I wanted a chance to speak to you, to tell you who I was, and how I'd missed you. Carolyn looks sad. My five minutes are up, says Paul. Why didn't you tell me who you were, in the woods? she asks.  Why did I write you a hundred letters and never mail them, pick up phones all over the world to call, then put them down, even when my heart was breaking with loneliness? asks Paul--"Oh, Carolyn, if we could only make up for mischief Jason did!"  Maybe we can, she says, softening. "You mean, I'm not a disappointment to you?" he asks. I'm not sure, she says, I've never seen a picture of you, or anything of yours--my mother wouldn't permit it
--I do know I want you to stay a while, now that you've come so far--let me see how far I can get Mother to come. Paul puts his hand over hers, squeezing it gratefully.

Philip, as mesmerized as a new father, looks down into the cradle. I must feed him, says Megan, stirring what looks like a can of dog food. How do you know that--he didn't cry? asks Philip. He doesn't have to cry, she says, I know he's hungry. So it's been happening to you, too? he asks--ever since he's come, I have sensed he's telling me what he wants me to do for him, yet he hasn't cried or made one sound since he's arrived. No, he hasn't, agrees Megan--you can't stay here and stare at him all day, you have to go pick up the furniture at Mr. Collins' house. I don't want to go tonight, insists Philip. He leans in closer to the cradle and says, it's because he's lonely, I can feel it, that's why I brought him in here. I feel it, too, agrees Megan, and I'm staying with him all night. Can we both stay? asks Philip.  No, says Megan, you've got to go to Mr. Collins' house--and there's SOMETHING ELSE you've got to do, she adds, smiling--and you know what THAT is. Yes, says Philip, not smiling, I know what that is.  (change a diaper?)

Woods - At Collinwood's door, Paul confesses to Carolyn, it took all the courage I had to come to our meeting tonight--that's why I was late--I kept imagining you'd never accept me. I knew I'd have to accept you sooner or later, she says--after all, you are my father. I'm glad it was sooner, says Paul. And Mother will have to accept it, too, insists Carolyn--come into the house and see her.  No thank you, Paul says--I'm afraid I used up all my courage at the Blue Whale--and I know Liz--it will be a long time before she accepts me--if she ever would--no, I've come as far as I can go--I'm sure--the next step is up to you--suppose you talk to your mother, sound her out about me, I know her present feelings--don't tell her you've seen me yet--and I'll know whether I should stay or go. You can't go, protests Carolyn--we've only just met. I don't want to go, he says. We see the doorknob turning. No matter how difficult it is, says Carolyn, we will work things out--just give me time. Paul agrees, but under the circumstances, I don't think I should contact you here.  Leave me messages at the antique store, instructs Carolyn. Paul agrees, puts his hands on her arms, and says, I'm a happier man tonight than I ever thought I would be again. He kisses her forehead. Good night, she says, heading into the house. Paul looks relieved--and very happy. Carolyn enters the house and closes the door behind her. David stands there; she gasps when she sees him.  What are you doing here? she asks. Well, says David, he's a surprise, isn't he? Who? she asks. Your new boyfriend, says David, I saw him kiss you, heard you tell him you don't want him to go, and that you'd try and make things work out. Carolyn, angry, says, it's terrible to spy on people. David asks, are you going to tell Aunt Liz I was spying?  I promise not to mention it, she says--if you don't mention it--we can forget the whole thing happened. I will, says David, if you tell me who the man is. I can't do that, she says, but believe me, the right time comes, I'll tell you all about him, and be very happy for me. She smiles. Run on to bed, she says--and David, remember--not a word to anyone. He smiles at her like Jamison did when possessed by Count Petofi.

Hearing a knock at the door, Carolyn, in a pretty green robe, answers. It's Philip--I just picked up some things at your cousin's house--hope it's not to late to be stopping by. I was going to be stopping by at the store tomorrow, she says--I hate to ask you, but I need a favor. Name it, it's yours, he says. There's a man who can't get in touch with me at the house for several reasons, she explains--I told him he could reach me at the shop--if it's all right with you. It's perfect, he says, since we want you to help out at the shop on a regular, businesslike basis--starting tomorrow!--is that all right? Carolyn is thrilled--yes, she says, but are you sure you need someone regularly?  (and is this volunteer or paid?)  I couldn't be more sure, says Philip. And you're sure you want me? she asks. I couldn't be more sure of that, either, says Philip creepily, giving a dreadful smile.

Antique Shop - Carolyn enters the store.  Hello!--here's the working girl, ready, willing and able! she calls. Megan comes out cradling a baby in her arms. Carolyn, delighted, asks, where did you get him?  (stork, cabbage patch, take your pick)  He's my sister's baby (remember this from the dream) says Megan--she brought him last night, we're watching him while she vacations in Canada (homage to Frid, perhaps?) He's beautiful, gushes Carolyn--what's his name? Megan thinks it over and answers Joseph. Hello, Carolyn says to the baby
--he seems so calm, does he cry much?  He never seems to cry at all, answers Megan. How long will you be keeping him? queries Carolyn.  I don't quite know, answers Megan.  I'm sorry for being so stupid and self-centered yesterday, says Carolyn--you and Philip were acting so strangely, I thought you were annoyed with me--I had no idea you were awaiting your sister and expecting a baby to take care of--does your sister have any other children? No, only Joseph, says Megan--I must take him upstairs--look after things while I'm away. Carolyn's forehead creases. David and Amy enter the shop.  Are you here to buy, or just browse? asks Carolyn. We're here because Mrs. Johnson's at the knitting store, says David. "And we wanted to see where you're going to work," pipes up Amy. "My father says you'll be working here regularly now," says David. That's right, says Carolyn proudly, starting today. He's not sure it's proper for a Collins, adds David.  (well, la di da!) Carolyn says her cousin's name in a chastising voice.  I think it's neat when there are things like this to play with, comments Amy (who is holding a doll that once belonged to Sarah Collins). That's nothing, Amy, says Carolyn, there's a real live baby upstairs, named Joseph, and he's brand new. David lifts a large pewter pitcher.  Put that down, Carolyn encourages--and shows him Barnabas' two soldiers from the regiment--Christmas, birthdays and so forth are coming up, she says, so tell your father. David thinks the soldiers are "neat."  That's the end of my sales pitch, says Carolyn--look around, but don't touch--anything you break or damage, Uncle Roger gets billed for. The kids begin looking around.  Paul enters the shop. Nervously, Carolyn calls him "Mr. Prescott," --the plates finally arrived, she says--you can look at them in the back. Yes, of course, he says.  David looks speculatively after "Mr. Prescott" as he goes into the back room.

Better get back to Mrs. Johnson, says Carolyn--she hates to be kept waiting. Oh, says Amy, but she takes forever making up her mind about wool. I still think you should go, urges Carolyn.  David agrees--goodbye, Carolyn, he says, giving her an "I got you dead to rights, cousin" look before she closes the door after them. Paul comes out--why did you ask me to keep quiet? he asks.  The boy is my cousin, Roger's son, she explains--he saw me with you last night--he doesn't know who you are, and I'd prefer to keep it that way until I can speak to my mother. Oh, then you haven't? he asks.  No, she went to bed with a headache and didn't get up for breakfast this morning, says Carolyn. She still has no idea? asks Paul. No one has, says Carolyn--I had breakfast with Uncle Roger, but felt I should wait. Not too long, cautious Paul. Why, she asks, is something wrong, something you didn't tell me?  Of course not, he assures her--you will speak to Liz ASAP, right? Tonight, she promises.  He kisses her forehead and leaves.

The times are all different on the antique store clocks, so we don't really know what time it is when Megan closes up shop. Philip comes down and asks, where is the book?  You took it upstairs with you, she reminds him. I didn't take it anywhere, he says. It's gone! she says. I thought you took it upstairs, says Philip. It's just been misplaced, insists a terrified Megan--we'll search the shop--it's got to be somewhere in the shop--where else could it be?

David has the missing book in his room.  Amy picks it up and asks, why did you take it?
I had to, he says.  I don't know why, says Amy, puzzled. Carolyn said if I accidentally tore anything, Roger would have to pay for it, says David--I ripped a page--that's why I took it.  It couldn't be worth a lot, opines Amy, it's not even in English--who could read it?  I don't know, says David--but don't tell anyone--I don't want my father to be angry with me. Amy slips the book into his arms and says, sternly, "David Collins, you'd better return it if you know what's best for you!--well, are you going to return it?--are you?"  I don't know, says David, troubled, and holds the book in his hands.

Megan and Philip frantically search the shop for the book, and finally conclude that someone must have taken it. Why, it has no value to anyone but us? points out Philip. I know, says Megan, and I also know that whoever took it must pay for it--WITH HIS LIFE!, she says through gritted teeth.  She looks around, wondering, what made me say that?--we would never have dreamed of hurting anyone--before. Philip agrees. But it's all different now, we serve him, says Megan, and whoever has taken his book, we will track down.
"And kill!" adds Philip.

NOTES: Loved that glimpse at the "normal" Todds, but we will never see them again, unfortunately. There will be flashes, but only occasionally, and their behavior will grow more and more bizarre.

Is "Joseph" even human?  He must look like a human baby, but given his origin (a whoosh of air from a box), it seems to me that he's an alien or supernatural being of some kind.

What's so important about that book that both Megan and Philip are willing to kill whoever stole it?  Is David a goner?  Did he escape Quentin's clutches only to be caught in yet another creature's trap?

Carolyn wants and needs her father.  That's obvious.  Every girl wants her daddy.  But does Paul have an ulterior motive?  Can Liz possibly forgive him for what he's put her through?

Love, Robin