Author Topic: Robservations 4/14/03 - 890-891 - The Box Goes Whoosh; the Chosen Ones  (Read 1261 times)

Offline ROBINV

• ** Robservationist **
  • Senior Poster
  • The Write Stuff
    • View Profile
    • Personal site of Robin Vogel
890 - Julia works to open the box, but Barnabas appears.  "JULIA!" he yells. He advances on her, ordering her to get her hands off that and get out of this house. She says she was just trying to understand, but he cruelly says he doesn't care if she understands or not--is that clear? Gazing hard at him, she says something is wrong with him; they've been friends too long... Only because he didn't know what she was capable of, he says. She was trying to find out what's in the box, that's all, says Julia, what IS in the box? Stop interfering, orders Barnabas, give up your curious belief that you have the right to know everything about me. "Now go!" Julia refuses, saying that perhaps she was wrong to find out what was in the box... Barnabas doesn't care to talk to her about it. She says he will, he owes her that much. "I owe you nothing!" he says. Julia says she wants to help him, she knows something is terribly wrong--he's changed. Barnabas curtly says he's lost his patience with her, and doesn't care to have anyone around who's going to betray him. Stung, Julia says he'd never have spoken to her that way before he left. He would know if she were doing something he disapproved of, he'd understand why. He's tired of understanding, he says. "What's changed you, Barnabas?" asks a clearly heartbroken Julia, "I can't forget how close we've been, even if you can, Barnabas--you can't blame me for wondering what's happening. I'll go now."  Wait, he says. For what? she asks.
He realizes she understands so much, it would be foolish of him not to understand more--"Forgive me." Traveling through time has taken its toll--has she forgotten what it felt like when she traveled back to 1897? Looking at him sharply, she says she was very ill, remembered nothing. Perhaps this mood of his is his reaction, he can think of no other reason why he'd quarrel with an old friend. Relieved, she says, "Barnabas, we are friends, aren't we?" Of course, he says. The box frightened her, she says. Because he hasn't explained what's in it, he says. No, because when she saw it before, it sounded as if breathing were coming from it. Smiling, he tells her she has an overactive imagination, she sees something sinister in everything she looks at. Julia grins, but then Carolyn runs in, calling for Julia. Seeing her cousin, Carolyn hugs him, and he responds with far more  warmth than he did with Julia. I've missed you, he tells her, and he's all right. They were very upset when he disappeared, says Carolyn.  When he came out of his trance, he was as shocked as he was to find himself out of this house, but now he's back and himself again. Oh, Barnabas, says Carolyn, hugging him again. He asks what she's been doing since he was away, and she gets a weird, furtive look on her face, almost as if she's scared. Julia asks her what's wrong. Carolyn says she won't bother her about it now. Julia reminds her she came here looking for her. I've seen Sabrina Stuart, says Carolyn--she sent for her. How, she can hardly speak? says Julia. She can say more than you think, says Carolyn, she warned her about Chris. Julia exchanges a look with Barnabas, and says she should tell her what she said. That Chris Jennings would kill me, replies Carolyn. Julia asks if she said WHY he would. Julia! Cries Carolyn, surprised at her question. Grinning, Julia says, Sabrina is in love with Chris, just jealous, that's all. Is she, asks Carolyn, somehow, she found herself believing her. Follow your instincts, my dear, Barnabas advises. Why do you say that? asks Carolyn. Because I believe in instincts, he tells her, there are far too many tragedies here--nothing must happen to you, not now, and we must make quite sure nothing ever does.

Antique store - Philip comes downstairs, asking Megan if she's coming up. Megan wants to call Dr. Hoffman, but Philip says they decided it was too late. Megan thinks she's be interested, it's a telegram. And that's always a matter of life and death, teases Philip, putting his arms around her waist (I love how affectionate these two are, the Collinses tend to be a cold bunch). Always, she agrees. How did he ever marry her, given that they are living in the 20th century (!), the most exciting century the world has ever known (he kisses her cheek), they're sending men to the moon--and she's so old-fashioned, her hands tremble when she opens a telegram. True, she says, how can you love me? That's easy, he says, very easy and very nice, too. He smooches her neck, and she stares at the telegram. Call Dr. Hoffman, he says, then let's go to bed! she looks up the phone number and dials. (black phone with a dial, how weird). Julia answers, and Megan tells her she wishes to speak to her in reference to the Tate painting--could she drop by the shop tomorrow? She just wants to discuss it with her. Julia agrees.

At the Old House, Barnabas holds the Leviathan box, thinking to himself that Julia is too curious, and if she is, others will be, too--when will the time come? Will I simply know it? Will I? He walks away from the box, looking at it from the other end of the room.

Antique Shop - Megan opens the store for the day. Philip, kneeling next to a beautiful wooden cradle), tells Megan that, much as he hates to admit to making a mistake, the day he paid $30 for it...I tried to stop you, teases Megan, kneeling beside him, putting her hand on his shoulder. Philip says he had visions of newly married women knocking each other to get to it. Most women want new things for their babies, says Megan, smiling at him.
He supposes she's right--and he marks the cradle down to $32.50. Who could resist it, he asks, it will be sold before the day is out. No doubt about it, Megan says, with sarcasm, and he says he hates sarcastic women. "Darling, I meant it, I swear I did," she says, putting he hands into a praying posture. All right, he says, he believes her. Julia comes in, probably catching them in mid smooch, and says she hopes Megan didn't call to tell her the portrait was a forgery. No, says Megan, it's a Tate, but she received a telegram about it--someone else is interested in the picture, willing to spend any amount of money for it. Megan rushes to get the telegram, and shows Julia that price is no object. From New York, says Julia, how fascinating, that this Mr. Corey is making a special trip to see it.  Megan asks if she's willing to sell it, and Julia says she doesn't know--no, she doesn't think she is.  Megan tells Philip they should call Mr. Corey, tell him not to come, but Julia says not to, she wants to meet this man, and she suspects others would be interested in meeting Mr. Corey as well.

Carolyn sits by the fire in the drawing room. Barnabas enters, looking pale and up to no good. He regards her speculatively, then greets her.  He was worried about her after she left last night, he says, she was so upset. Carolyn doesn't know if she's being silly or not, but Chris called her this morning, and she had Mrs. Johnson tells him she was out. Perhaps that was best, suggests Barnabas--Ned Stuart blames Chris for what happened to his sister; when she was seeing Chris, she was still young, as vital as Carolyn. What could Chris have done? wails Carolyn (sounding like a radio voice suddenly), she just doesn't understand, and it makes her wonder--he's so guarded, as if he were hiding something. "I think you should assume that," says Barnabas. Does he mean that, she asks. Yes, says Barn. What could it be, asks Carolyn. He's been behaving so peculiarly since her arrival here, points out Barnabas, they all had great difficulty in getting Chris to see his own sister. there are so many unexplainable things about Chris, agrees Carolyn, and yet... You like him, finishes Barnabas. She nods, saying once or twice, she even thought she was falling in love with him. I hope you're not, says Barnabas. Why, she asks. It would be a mistake, he says. How can he know that, she asks. He simply feels it, he says. No, you know more, don't you? she asks. "I know there will be a love for you in your time," says Barnabas gently, "a love that will be much much more meaningful than any romance you could have with Chris." You sound so definite, says Carolyn, how can you know the future? About your future, I'm very certain, says Barnabas. Carolyn doesn't remember his always having been. Aren't I allowed to change? He asks. Yes, she says, grinning, of course he is. She pours herself a drink. Barnabas is holding a jewelry box in his hand, saying he has a gift for her--he found it at the Old House. Her morale could use it, she says. She opens the box and finds a five-pointed star. It's a pentagram, says Barnabas, wear it--always--will you? Always? she asks. Yes, as a favor to him, he asks. Yes, thank you, she says. He tells her it's a good luck charm, really, it will perhaps bring her the love she so well deserves. In a serious tone, she asks him if he really thinks she shouldn't see Chris. He tells her she shouldn't do anything that would cause her harm--and he does believe Sabrina--she isn't jealous, and Carolyn is far too important to have anything happen to her
--wear that charm, and he will feel much better, he tells her.

Julia, having just bought a brooch, tells Philip his shop has so many interesting things. They scrounge the neighborhood for them, he tells her. He promises to let her know when Mr. Corey comes. Carolyn enters the shop, saying she's here to buy something. If it wasn't for Carolyn, they'd be out of business, remarks Philip--what do you need? Carolyn examines the brooch Julia has brought, then shows him the star Barnabas gave her--she needs a silver chain for it. Julia, taken aback, asks Carolyn where she got that. Barnabas, says Carolyn. It's charming, says Julia. Carolyn explains that she's always to wear it, and it will bring her luck, which she sorely needs. Carolyn asks her to wait for her, but Julia suddenly rushes from the store--there's something she must do right away. She leaves. Philip brings over a bunch of chains and tells her if she picks out the most expensive one, she can stay to dinner--Megan is making her famous clam chowder, they'll open a bottle of wine, and celebrate a little Carolyn asks if it will improve her mood, and Philip assures her it will. She agrees, choosing a long silver chain, holding it up over the star--that will be fine, says Carolyn.

Old House - Julia asks Barnabas why he gave Carolyn the pentagram. To protect her from Chris, says Barnabas. She knows Chris is a problem, says Julia, but she thinks she can handle him. How, he demands, he may change at any moment--the full moon notwithstanding. They can take him to Windcliff, she says, and the moment he changes, they can confine him there. Do what you want, I'm busy with something else says Barnabas. Too busy to hear about Quentin Collins? asks Julia. This catches his attention. She thought that might interest him--that Tate painting she bought, the antique store got a telegram about it. Well? asks Barn. Could be from Quentin, says Julia--it's signed by someone named Corey   came from New York, but whoever this Corey is, he wants that Tate badly. Barnabas calls her irrational. Julia says they know the significance of the Tate portrait of Quentin, and that the latter is alive somehow. Do we? Demands Barnabas. Beth saw him in 1969, Julia reminds him, that's why Petofi wanted his body, so he could be here. That was before the portrait was destroyed in the fire, says Barnabas, Tate himself said he saw it burn. Julia says he could have been lying; Quentin could be alive and looking for the portrait, buying up ever Tate he can find, to find that one. Barnabas insists she's putting far too much importance in that telegram, odds are that the fire destroyed the portrait and Quentin dead years ago. He brings over her coat, helps her into it and tells her to please leave--he has things to do. You don't really care whether Quentin is alive, do you? she asks. Barnabas, what has happened to you? She seems near tears, and angrily leaves the house. Barnabas waits a few seconds, then goes over to the box. It is time, he tells himself. He sits in his favorite chair. We hear breathing emanating from the Leviathan box, and see flames, then the altar in the woods. Barnabas is there, making hands gestures, calling to Oberon, who appears, calling him Master. Barnabas is in need of his guidance, tell him, man of earth, how he will know the chosen ones--tell him so he will make no mistake in this most important moment in time. One will wear the sign of the Naga, says Oberon, and they will come to you--you will hear a knocking at your door, will wake you from your sleep, when you open the door, they will be strangers, but you will know them.
And I will know to trust them, to lead them through the mysteries that will make them respond, and do what they must do if all is to go as it must. Oberon tells him he will know the sign of the Naga, the sudden knocking at the door.

The vision fades, and Barnabas is awakened by a knock at the door. The chosen ones! He tells himself, and walks to the door to open it.

NOTES: Could Barnabas have been any colder to Julia? It breaks one's heart! And how foolish of the Leviathans not to make him assume the same friendly role he had in her life before! Julia was suspicious immediately, and the Leviathan powers that be would have been much smarter to make everything appear closer to normal.

I love Megan and Philip. They're so obviously happily married, and the way they tease each other so natural and fun. They were the most normal people on the show, but not for long, unfortunately.

Who are the chosen ones? I'm sure you already have figured it out.

Barnabas' sudden interest in Carolyn is very creepy.

I don't like Sabrina, never did, never will. Her mouth is bizarre and whether she's got gray hair or brunette, she's one of those characters I simply never liked. Comparing her to Carolyn is like a moth and a butterfly.

Now you know why Dennis Patrick called what's in the Leviathan box the giant lung, LOL.

Who is Mr. Corey? Is it Quentin?

Stay tuned for all the answers!

891 - Someone knocks at Barnabas' door, and he thinks, "The chosen ones!" He rises and goes to the door (he looks great in that red smoking jacket). It's Philip and Megan Todd who've come visiting, and they look around Barnabas' home with glee--all these antiques!

Barnabas, looking nasty and spooky, offers to take their coats.  They introduce themselves, and he immediately notices that Megan is wearing a necklace with the sign of the Naga on it. He tells them he's heard of their antique store in town. Carolyn told them to come see him, says Megan, and they would have called first, but he has no phone.  And they're naturally impulsive, adds Philip. Barnabas is very charmed they've come, and admires Megan's locket. Philip explains that he found it in an odd lot he bid on at an auction. Barnabas asks if he knows the meaning of the symbol--it's the sign of the Naga, the creature without a soul. Megan says she isn't sure she likes that. don't worry, says Barnabas--the same sign is carved on that box over there. Megan goes to check it out, as does Philip, who says he's never seen one like it. It must be incredibly old, comments Megan, and Philip can't guess what country it's from. Megan asks Barn if he knows where it's from, but he says he knows little about it--it was given to him. Surely whoever gave it to you must have told you, says Philip, but Barn says no
He's never looked inside, and asks them if they think that strange. Megan smiles and says they're very curious people. Philip asks if he'd consider selling it, but Megan tells her hubby they could never afford it. Barnabas doesn't want it in a shop, but they assure him they would never do that with it. He tells them he can see they are true collectors, and that they will discuss it another time. He says he has some things upstairs that he might give away. Philip follows him to the stairs, but Megan lingers by the box, fascinated. Philip wants to see the potential freebies, but has to remind Megan to come along. They are just simple American pieces, says Barn, about to follow them upstairs, but there's another knock at his door, and he tells them to go look for themselves, he'll be with them in a moment. You're very kind, says Megan. Barnabas' visitor is Elizabeth, who hugs him and tells him he's been very naughty, not coming to see her, making her come to the Old House to welcome him back. He apologizes, saying he's been wanting to talk to her. How does he feel after his ghastly experience? she asks. Barn doesn't want to talk about it. The ghosts are gone now, says Liz, and if he had anything to do with it, she's most grateful--he can't imagine how happy she is that he's back--she came to ask him to dinner tomorrow night, just family. Will Carolyn be there? asks Barnabas. Of course, says Liz. With Chris Jennings? probes Barnabas. She hasn't asked him, says Liz, but will if Barnabas wants her to. Oh, no, says Barnabas, he knows it isn't his place to discuss Carolyn with her, but he thinks she's seeing too much of Chris. Liz explains that she's always allowed Carolyn to make her own decisions in such matters. Barn thinks in this case, Liz shouldn't be so lenient--there's far too much mystery to Chris, and his instincts tell him that Liz should find out where he goes during his mysterious disappearances--it happens at least once a month. Concerned, Liz says she feels as he does. Barnabas excuses himself, saying he has company--Carolyn's friends from the antique store. Liz says they are a charming couple. Barnabas says they will be a great asset to the town. Liz promises to think about what he said about Carolyn. As Liz leaves the house, the gray-haired man that Julia and Carolyn saw hides behind one of the columns. He watches Liz go.

Megan and Philip come downstairs and the latter tells Barnabas he has many things they can use. Barnabas asks him to make a list and he'll come up with a price. Megan, standing by the Naga box, eyes it longingly. Philip tells Megan they shouldn't keep Mr. Collins any longer. I know, says Megan, not moving away from the box. Barnabas comes over to her and says he thinks that's her favorite amongst all his pieces. Megan agrees, but doesn't know why. They must get back to the shop, says Philip, and Megan agrees. Barnabas assures them they will hear from him very soon--very soon indeed. Megan thanks him and he sees them out the door. He's smiling evilly as he goes back to the box and touches it.

6 PM - Maggie, wearing a pretty mini-jumper, comes downstairs and greets Liz, who has just come home. Maggie reports that David is doing his homework, Amy's finished hers, and she doesn't know when she'll be back. Liz wishes she'd let her send Mrs. Johnson with her, but Maggie assures her the other tenants were very good, she's sure the house only needs straightening up. With the new people moving in tomorrow, she just wants to check things out. Liz asks Maggie if going back to her old home will bother her, but Maggie, buttoning her coat, doesn't answer. Liz tells her she's been such a great help to them, she barely remembers her living with her father. Maggie says she won't be gone long. The phone rings and Maggie answers. The mustachioed, mysterious man, calling from a phone booth, asks for Mrs. Stoddard, and Maggie hands Liz the phone. Liz says hello, but he doesn't answer.
She tries a few more hellos, but the man just hangs up the phone.

Liz is perturbed; that was strange--whoever it was hung up. It was a man, says Maggie, but she didn't recognize the voice...odd.

Antique shop - Philip tells Megan they need less merchandise and more customers. Megan is thoughtful, and Philip observes that she's thinking of something very important--he can tell. Megan, polishing a silver candelabra, says not at all, but he insists she tell him. She wants that box. He chuckles, saying she already has it on a table in their bedroom. She denies this, laughing, saying she knows they will never own it. We see the Naga necklace hanging on her bosom as she puts her arm around Philip. It's silly, she says, holding the Naga sign between her fingers, "Count your blessings, Megan Todd." Include me as one? he asks. I have almost as high an opinion of you as you do, teases Megan. They smooch and she looks at him lovingly. Barnabas enters the store, box in hand--he told them he'd be back soon. He tells Megan he has a present for her. Philip insists they couldn't accept it, and Barnabas asks if he's in the habit of depriving his wife of something she clearly wants. Megan looks hopefully at Philip, saying she does adore it, but it's much too grand a present. Barnabas says there's a legend to it, and she must take it. What's the legend, she asks. That whoever gives it will get what he wants in return, says Barnabas, so she's doing him a favor. Megan thinks he just made up the legend.  Please take it, urges Barnabas. Please say yes, Megan begs her hubby, dubbing him the proud one. They'd be delighted to have it, says Philip, and Megan takes it from Barnabas and walks away from them. Philip says they must pay him something, but Barnabas says out of the question--he wouldn't know what to ask, anyway. Megan thanks him, saying she will always treasure it, and will be more selfish than him--she'll never give it away. Barnabas says he hopes she never changes her mind, and the tone of his voice causes Philip's forehead to wrinkle.

At the cottage, Maggie's cleaning up. Someone knocks at the door, and she trips heading to answer it. It's the mysterious man, who asks to see Sam Evans. My father? asks Maggie sadly, and introduces herself. "I'm sorry, my father is dead," she says. He just came back from New York, he says, he didn't know. It's been more than a year now, says Maggie, inviting him in. He is sorry, truly, he says, he and Sam were old friends. She doesn't remember him, does she? He remembers her as a pretty little girl, and that hasn't changed. He surveys the cottage--it's so funny being back in Collinsport, everything is the same, but different. He asks if she lives here with her husband, and she says she isn't married--she lives at Collinwood (so forthcoming with a stranger, our Maggie). He looks at her--Collinwood? She's David's tutor, she explains. He repeats Collinwood, and she asks if something is wrong. He and Sam were good friends, and he'd like Maggie to be, too--he needs a friend, desperately. She looks at him, unsure.

Maggie goes over to the window, assuring him that if he's a friend of her father, she'll be glad to help him in any way she can (was that drawing on the window sill before?) He has questions--who's living at Collinwood right now? Mrs. Stoddard, David, Carolyn, Roger, she tells him. What is Carolyn like? he asks. She doesn't want to answer more questions, these people are friends of hers, Mr.¢â‚¬¦ Just tell me, he asks, not filling in the blank for her--what is Carolyn like? I love Carolyn, says Maggie flippantly, she's nice, kind, generous, charitable. You aren't describing a true Collins, he says. She says she doesn't know what he wants to know or why. She can help him, he says, but she doesn't see how. He'll tell her--if she can keep a secret. Perhaps it's a secret she shouldn't know, she says. Perhaps, he agrees, but she seems to be the one he should tell. She doesn't know why, but he says she's the only one there is--that's the first reason.
All he must consider is can he trust her, as he would her father. She looks at him.

Barnabas leaves the antique shop, telling the Todds to call him Barnabas. Megan again thanks him for the box, promising they will find out all about it. Barnabas is sure they will--quite sure. He won't keep them any longer--if there's anything on that list you want from the Old House (Philip is holding an envelope), please let him know, and they will arrive at a price. Barnabas predicts they will see a lot of each other, he has an unusual feeling about that. I hope so, says Megan fervently, stepping on his line. Such a lonely man, says Megan after Barnabas leaves. Philip is examining the box. I like him, don't you, asks Megan. He's miles away, and she asks him what is it. Just wondering why Barnabas gave them the box, says Philip. Because he wanted them to have it, says Megan. If an old friend or relative gives you something, says Philip, that's one thing, but a total stranger... He wanted them to be friends, says Megan. WHY? asks Philip. Darling, darling, what's the difference, asks Megan, it's just a box! They both wanted it and Barnabas saw that, and it meant nothing to him, and he knows they will treasure it. She loops her arms around his neck, asking if he's going to be suspicious about a gift. He guesses not, if it will make her happy. They kiss, standing with their arms around each other.

Maggie returns to Collinwood, telling Liz the house is in good shape. She asks for Carolyn, but she's in town, says Liz. Maggie says she'll talk to her in the morning. That man never called back, says Liz, and it's silly to feel nervous about such a thing. Maggie says she doesn't think she should let it, and bids Liz good night.

The Todds close up the antique shop, and Megan tells her husband she wants to open the box. Philip agrees they should discover its secrets, but they find it locked--and no key. Force it, says Megan (possibly break an invaluable antique? What kind of collector is she--hasn't she heard of mint)? Philip tries, but can't open it. Megan lifts it up, listens, then calls Philip over--she heard something in the box, and it sounded alive. There can't be anything alive in there, says Philip, but Megan definitely heard something. It must have been the warping wood, the box is very old, says Philip. She wants it open, but he says he tried and they couldn't. He wants to check Barnabas' list, hoping he's willing to sell that Hitchcock chair he saw. In the envelops, Philip finds the key to the box. He holds it up. Megan is thrilled, but Philip has a feeling that if they open it, things will never be the same. Megan doesn't understand him, and he doesn't understand himself, but that's the way he feels. What could be in the box, demands Megan--they have to open it. Philip agrees--they do--and when he unlocks and opens the box, it sounds as if someone or something flies out--there's a whoosh. Philip says it sounded like something came out.
Spooked, Megan says she didn't see anything. She tells Philip to open it, once and for all, they must find out what's in there. He opens it, and a strange, unearthly humming issues from inside...

NOTES: At different times, Philip and Megan have doubts or premonitions about what's happening to them. Too bad they don't listen to them. When that thing whooshed as it left the box, it was creepy as hell.

The mysterious man (Paul Stoddard) has now enlisted Maggie's help, but for what? He's connected somehow to the Leviathans, we know that, but in what way? Maggie seems to have decided to trust him, but he was asking so many questions without even wanting to give her his name, no wonder she was suspicious. She should have remained so.

Love, Robin