Author Topic: Leviathan Concordance  (Read 1299 times)

Offline Joeytrom

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Leviathan Concordance
« on: April 11, 2003, 02:23:59 PM »
I know I have brought this up before, but now that we are into Leviathan, does anyone have any idea when the Levithan Concordance will be available?  it was supposed to come out in January.

Offline dom

• Long Lost Cousin Returned
  • Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Re:Leviathan Concordance
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2003, 04:23:27 PM »
What are concordances and what purpose do they serve? I've heard them mentioned over the years, seen them at fests, and I know they are popular. ...Have always been curious about them.

dom

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2003, 04:55:07 PM »
I know I have brought this up before, but now that we are into Leviathan, does anyone have any idea when the Levithan Concordance will be available?  it was supposed to come out in January.

Oh how I want that Concordance!  { ;) to Bette}

Kathy Resch said a month ago that she had found a printer (she lost the old one, which is why a new TWODS hasn't come out either) and that its release was close.  She also mentioned that she would try to find out how many fans are interested before she orders the first printing.  One of the past ShadowGram updates mentioned how to do this.

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2003, 05:09:04 PM »
Dom,

Kathy Resch's Concordances summarize the eps in the storyline (1795, 1968 I and II, 1897 I and II, 1970 and 1840/1841), including quotes and specific details about each, and some volumes include the opening voiceovers.  The past Concordances have had photos and fan artwork, fan essays, and some gorgeous cover art.  Kathy promised more pictures for the Leviathans C., and sadly, Warren Oddsson, who created the phenomenal illustrations for them, passed away in 2001.

Offline dom

• Long Lost Cousin Returned
  • Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2003, 05:14:04 PM »
Thanks, Midnite!

:),
dom

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2003, 05:37:10 PM »
Since the Fest also put out a book covering 1966 through Willie's arrival, the Lev C would complete the ep summaries for the entire series.

I forgot to mention that there's a '91 Concordance too.  Hmm, I want that one too.

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2003, 08:16:57 PM »
I'm not sure why they chose to call these books Concordances.  A concordance, in scholarly apparatus jargon, refers to a book that allows you to see all the references to a given word or phrase in a canonical text at a glance.

For instance, using a Bible Concordance, you can find a detailed list of each place in the Bible in which the phrase "Son of Man" is used.

And, with a Shakespeare Concordance, the important information regarding how many times the Bard had a character speak of someone's "bent pike" is available at a glance.

I'm not sure what would be cross referenced in a DS concordance.  How many times the word "sedative" is used?  Just when and in what circumstances someone drew the Death card?  How many seances were held in what time periods/bands?  How many bottles of brandy were consumed by Quentin in a given day of 1897?

The mind boggles.

Gothick

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2003, 08:51:47 PM »
I'm not sure why they chose to call these books Concordances.

Because that sounds better than "One More Book of DS Minutia"

The mind boggles.

Yes, it does indeed.

Ahem.....how many times DID the Bard refer to 'bent pikes'?

"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas