Author Topic: Leviathan....the beginning of the end?  (Read 13299 times)

Offline Luciaphile

• ** Collinsport Commentator **
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Re:Leviathan....the beginning of the end?
« Reply #75 on: May 29, 2003, 04:17:42 PM »
Not a PT fan. I think mainly because I loathed just about all the characters. Nothing much there to enjoy watching.

I did like the Cyrus Longworth and John Yaeger plot. Not that I liked the folks involved with that anymore than with the rest of them, but it made for fascinating TV viewing. Plus, I thought Elizabeth Eis was very good.
"Some people ask their god for answers to their spiritual questions. For everything else, there is Google." --rpcxdr-ga

Offline jennifer

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • DSF God
  • we'll always love you Don!
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: May 29, 2003, 04:52:24 PM »
Speaking of Carolyn's hair ...

Jeb's continual mauling of Carolyn's blonde tresses (could it have been a "fall"?) is such a stomach-turner ... I think he's only done it a couple of times so far, but just wait ... If you think Roger Davis touched his own hair a little too often ...

::)

heehee couldn't agree more What would atrract anyone to Jeb and the constant touching of her hair to me it would be like BACK OFF BUDDY! at least RD was touching his own hair!
Do believe that this was Nancy's own hair she wins IMHO best hair of the series a true breck girl!

jennifer
and didn't like sabrina's wig today! they should have just dyed her hair back and left it alone.seeing her photos of that time she also nice hair!
we are the champions!!!!
 2007 Boston Red Sox
PAV

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: May 29, 2003, 07:10:13 PM »
1970 PT wins my nomination for the most uneven of all the storylines.  I thought it coupled some of the series' best moments with some real duds.  I absolutely loved what they gave Thayer, Grayson, and Louis to do.  I had mixed feelings about Lara's work on the storyline but some of it was really excellent, and darling Hannah Stokes was a hoot to watch (Paula Laurence--is that the name of the actress?).  Nancy and Johnny made a great pair, too, though their screen time was greatly diminished due to various film involvements.

[spoiler]For me the biggest stumbling block was Quentin and Maggie.  They were both such dreadful people, Quentin especially, but Maggie wasn't much better.  And this made Barnabas' obsession with helping them very problematic for the viewer.  There is even a scene where Julia asks Barnabas why on Earth he wants to help the PT Maggie and he gives her the usual runaround in response.  I always wonder whether that wasn't included due to fan mail asking that very question.  In those days, producers of shows actually cared what the fans thought about a given character or storyline, which is why the Leviathan story wound up being so abbreviated--because of the negative mail.[/spoiler]

With all this said, I've watched certain weeks of PT 1970 more frequently than many other periods, just because the theatricality of the premise worked so well for the actors.  There really isn't anyone in the group for the audience to identify with though, which is problematic if you approach it as a traditional narrative.

Gothick

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: May 29, 2003, 11:03:27 PM »
1970 PT wins my nomination for the most uneven of all the storylines.  I thought it coupled some of the series' best moments with some real duds.  I absolutely loved what they gave Thayer, Grayson, and Louis to do.  I had mixed feelings about Lara's work on the storyline but some of it was really excellent, and darling Hannah Stokes was a hoot to watch (Paula Laurence--is that the name of the actress?).  Nancy and Johnny made a great pair, too, though their screen time was greatly diminished due to various film involvements.

Gothick

[spoiler]After the characters of Mr. and Mrs. Will and Carolyn (nee Stoddard) Loomis (which were, unfortunately, on so very little), I'd hafta say that my next one was PT Elizabeth Collins Stoddard.  It was something to see her completely switched over from being the reign-with-an-iron-fist mistress of Collinwood in Normal Time to the PT poor relative, having to replace her flashy wardrobe with frumpy outfits that everyone's Aunt Gertrude wears.  But - alas - her time on the small screen was limited as well, since she had to go with her brother, Roger, who was turned from a rather conservative gentleman in NT into a PT cross-version of David Ogden Stiers and Bobby Sherman (with those clothes), to  "visit relatives" living up in Lyndhurst in that other Parallel Time.[/spoiler]

Gerard

Offline Taeylor Collins

• The Guardian of Grayson's Shadows
  • DSF God
  • "Is he for real?" Julia Hoffman
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
Re: Leviathan....the beginning of the end?
« Reply #79 on: April 14, 2009, 06:18:55 AM »
I absolutely loved reading this thread.  Some really fabulous posts that took me a while to pour through, but certainly worth it.  I have to admit I love the Leviathan era, warts and all.  I also am a great fan of 1970 PT. There is something beyond creepy about the Leviathans nefarious plot to rule the world.  I just wish that DC wouldn't have panikced and would have let the story play out and wouldn't have cut it in two.  Thankfully DS did recover with 1970 PT and I would also have to agree that I loved 1840 as well.  As I have said before somewhere, the ten episodes spent in 1995 were genius and I wish the show would have stayed more than two weeks there.  I wonder who's idea it was to go travel forward in time??
If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/106113906083853/