Author Topic: Mary Cooper as Josette in 1841PT  (Read 2324 times)

ClaudeNorth

Mary Cooper as Josette in 1841PT
« on: July 11, 2012, 07:55:36 PM »
I'm watching the final episodes of the series and wondering what all of you think of Mary Cooper as Josette in 1841PT.  While I don't think she was a bad actress, I don't think she was right for the role, and never conveyed the feeling that she was an older version of Josette DuPres (assuming, of course, that PT Josette was the same as Regular Time Josette, in terms of lineage, character history, etc.).  I find that she lacks a certain flair and elegance that the older Josette would have had; she seems too "American," if you know what I mean.

Any thoughts?

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Re: Mary Cooper as Josette in 1841PT
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2012, 09:13:56 PM »
She was my favorite character in PT1841; I loved every scene she was in. 

I do agree that she was a totally different "take" than what the NT would've been (had NT history been different, natch).  One has to remember two big differences in the two:  in NT, Josette DuPres received the welcoming arms of the Collins family; it's obvious, in PT, she was not.  They were apparently cordial to her, but not embracing.  We do know of one reason why, but I shant say as it would constitute a spoiler.  However, I consider the two parallel times to be different.  I always thought that, in PT1841 (and earlier), the Collins family in the late 1790's did not approve of marrying Josette because she was a Catholic, whereas they were Protestants, and already nativist anti-Catholic bigotry would not countenance such a union.  She came in as a "black sheep," and her husband, Barnabas, was primarily disinherited, save for what his mother Naomi (who would probably have remained more affectionate towards her son) gave him and his wife in the way of the Old House and some financial support, but beyond that, Mr. and Mrs. Barnabas Collins, while living on the edges of the family, were pretty much on their own but did fine - not hyper-wealthy like the rest, but not exactly starving; they were the "poorer" relations.  Their son, Bramwell, because of Catholic requirements for a mixed-marriage, would also had to have been Catholic, keeping him a black sheep.

As for PT Josette lacking, or having lost her flair and elegance, that would come from once being part of an aristrocatic, wealthy French colonist plantation family on Martinique and having lost it all by marrying Barnabas (possibly her Catholic father, Andres, being as militantly Catholic and anti-Protestant as the Collins family was militantly Protestant and anti-Catholic) did his own bit of disinheriting.  But she gave it all up for the man she loved, which can also be a very humbling experience, making her a humble person.  Plus, having lived in America for most of her life, she would become far more Americanized than Gallicanized.

Gerard

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2012, 01:38:39 AM »
Same impression here as ClaudeNorth though it could be as Gerard says.   On some viewings it's a real surprise having "Josette" pop up, when we'd gotten used to thinking of Bramwell being on his own.   I always wonder if they threw her in on a sudden whim...
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2012, 07:19:14 PM »
I'm not sure Mary Cooper was the right choice as Josette. I would have thought that even in PT she would still have some Gallic or Creole traces, perhaps a love of (carefully preserved) finery or a trace of bygone glamor--maybe one last piece of the jewelry Barnabas gave her that she's held on to all these years. Anyway, something.

But I do think MC did a good, concise job in her few appearances of convincing us that she knows what makes Bramwell tick. She's the only person he really listens to and almost the only one he really respects.

Offline libshad84

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2012, 01:49:23 AM »
I have only watched this storyline two times. I never really paid attention to Josette. She wasn't really a fleshed out main character.

Offline tragic bat

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2012, 05:49:11 AM »
I found the character rather flat and unmemorable, boring.  Perhaps if KLS was around they could have aged her with makeup and that would have made her seem more like the Josette we knew. 
“You could have devoted your life to a serious study of the occult instead of just being some freak who can tell the future!”--RT 1970 Roxanne.

Offline Uncle Roger

• * 200000, 250000 & 300000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2012, 06:25:10 AM »
PT Josette was little more than a day player but Mary Cooper isn't bad. She manages to convey Josette's somewhat faded elegance and handles the family dynamics much better than Bramwell. There should have been some confrontation between Josette and Flora. Grayson does a fine job with telling Melanie and Josette to keep a lid on it. But it would have been more effective to see Flora in action.
Fade Away and Radiate

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2012, 07:09:51 AM »
She seems a bit like a Leave It To Beaver mother.   I'm going to guess that she had no real idea who the character was or what importance she'd had in the show when she played her.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2012, 11:35:51 AM »
i haven't seen 1841 parallel time yet...

what is josette doing there at all? doesn't jonathan frid play a character named "bramwell"? how does barnabas factor into things?
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2012, 01:30:58 PM »
Remember that, in PT, Barnabas and Josette did marry (according to the biography of Barnabas penned by William H. Loomis in PT1970).  They had a son, Bramwell.  Sometime before PT1841, Barnabas had died of natural causes while his widow, Josette, was still alive and residing in the Old House.

Gerard

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2012, 03:45:13 PM »
Just speaking personally, I found Cooper a ghastly miscast as Josette.  I don't think the actress was at all to blame.  Her reason for being there is unclear until almost the very end and her only motivation seems to be to react to Bramwell's wild and woolly antics.  I also found her line readings really flat and wooden.  She really needed a voice coach for the role but obviously nothing like that was available in the world of DS.

I'm glad that some viewers did enjoy the portrayal.  I personally tend to fast forward through her scenes because I find her physically uncomfortable to watch--along the same lines as a certain hair-clutching "actor."

G.

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2012, 04:34:34 PM »
I think what I really liked about her character, or at least the portrayal of it, was that she was the polar opposite of all the other female characters.  Flora, never going without being dressed to the nines, was constantly angry or angst-ridden, always scowling.  Melanie was a whiney nut case.  Julia was a controlling bitch.  Catherine was a budinski, self-righteous busy-body.  (Daphne was the only pleasant one.)  Everyone was always screaming, yelling and fighting.  Josette, on the other hand, was always the cool, calm one, tending to her own business, rarely criticizing even though she was pretty much a pariah within the Collins family, and if anyone had the right to complain, she did.  She was soft-spoken, although she had the ability to register her indignation when the need arose.  And, unlike all the other womenfolk in the Main House who dressed as if every day was a fashion judgement day, she wore plainer, more humble, clothing.  She was a true lady and gentlewoman. 

Gerard 

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2012, 10:25:38 PM »
And, unlike all the other womenfolk in the Main House who dressed as if every day was a fashion judgement day, she wore plainer, more humble, clothing.  She was a true lady and gentlewoman.

But isn't that one of the un-Josette-ish thingsabout her?

Offline Josette

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2012, 06:46:05 AM »
I always liked her.  She seemed very "motherly" and sweet and kind.  However, it was very difficult to picture that Josette would turn into her.  Of course, maybe Parallel Time Josette was different that the one we're used to.
Josette

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2012, 02:37:12 PM »
That's how I view it - the PT world was very different from the NT one.  In PT, it's obvious that the Collins family was not very amiable to Josette.  Either something happened, or the initial reaction of the family to Barnabas marrying Josette, for whatever reason, was not very accepting.  Even if, between the two bands of time, some of the people are the same, their behavior and even place in life was far different.  In PT- and NT1970, the two Julia Hoffmans were the same woman.  Yet, because of certain circumstances, and as Eliot Stokes explained, because of choices they had made, they could and would end up miles apart in outcome.  I enjoyed seeing a mature, matronly Josette 45 years after she arrived at Collinwood.  And, don't forget, even though she was more June Cleaverish than her maybe what her NT counter-part would've been (had she survived in NT), there still was some "foxiness" left in her as exemplified by a very important plot-twist in the PT1841 storyline.

Gerard