Author Topic: I Christen This Ship.....  (Read 859 times)

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
I Christen This Ship.....
« on: February 22, 2002, 09:09:16 AM »
Originally posted by Gerard on the Dark Shadows: General Discussion Forum on February 22, 2002 at 03:09:16:

Along with Dark Shadows, my other passionate hobby deals with the great ships and liners, building up an extensive library and accumulating a collection of historical stuff from vessesl ranging from the Lusitania to the United States. Of course, I would have to find a connection between Dark Shadows and my other hobby.

The Hamburg-America Line (aka "HAPAG") built highly luxurious ships in the early twentieth century catering to the wealthy, from both America and the Continent. The company would give the liners alternating names between American notables and European royal families. One of these ships was named after a very prominent royal European family: the S.S. Moltke. Of course, we all know who is a member of that family. Two classy ladies: one of the seas, and one of soaps. Only I could find something as odd as that.

Gerard

Offline Philippe Cordier

• (formerly known as Vlad)
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Re: I Christen This Ship.....
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2002, 09:30:07 PM »
Originally posted by Vlad on February 23, 2002 at 15:30:07:

Gerard, what a great hobby! And very interesting info about the S.S. Moltke.

Actually, it shouldn't be too hard to find a connection with DS. Wasn't the 18th and 19th century Collins family involved in shipping (and only later, in the fishing business)? I recently watched the first 11 episodes of the 1991 revival series, and Joshua Collins says that he is a ship*builder* (something I didn't remember from the original 1795 episodes).

I think you could come up with some good background for us during these DS time periods! Please keep us informed and educated on the subject! :)

-Vlad
"Collinwood is not a healthy place to be." -- Collinsport sheriff, 1995

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2002, 02:44:52 PM »
Originally posted by Gerard on February 24, 2002 at 08:44:52:

Another "just-for-fun" hobby I do is write fiction. I even started a rather epic DS novel covering the years 1927-1949, really getting into it when the HarperCollins novel series got started, but when it collapsed I stopped work on the novel. Anyway, intricate to its plot was the Collins shipbuilding efforts, having them construct everything from coastal passenger liners in the '20s and '30s, as well as liberty ships during WWII. The latter dealt with the arrival of two men named Paul Stoddard and Jason Maguire, setting the stage for some tragic events that would happen twenty years later. It was fun. Maybe someday I'll get back to it --------- just for fun.

Gerard

Offline ProfStokes

• * Ingenious Intellect *
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2002, 02:16:01 AM »
Originally posted by ProfStokes on February 24, 2002 at 20:16:01:
In Reply to: Re: I Christen This Ship..... posted by Gerard on February 24, 2002 at 08:44:52:

Maybe someday I'll get back to it --------- just for fun.

Please do, Gerard, and when you finish it, please let us know. It sounds like a fascinating work.

ProfStokes