Author Topic: Robservations 4/10/03 - #886-887 - 1796 Finale; Hello, Leviathans!  (Read 1577 times)

Offline ROBINV

• ** Robservationist **
  • Senior Poster
  • The Write Stuff
    • View Profile
    • Personal site of Robin Vogel
886 - 1796 - Thinking Barnabas is coming, Josette screams, I won't become what you are!  Instead, it's Natalie who shows up, not Barnabas. Josette, terrified, beyond reason, threatens, I'm going to jump if you come closer. Natalie calls to her niece above the din of the ocean--Stop, please, Josette, don't jump!

Come away from the edge, orders Natalie, physically pulling Josette away--I'll help you! "You don't know!" bleats Josette.  I will help you as I did when you were small, promises Natalie. You can't this time, insists Josette.  Tell me, Natalie urges. "I know, know," sobs Josette, "there's nothing to do and I love him!" Natalie hugs her--the carriage is waiting, she says, you must rest. He will come for me, Josette wails, he will come to me! No, Natalie assures her, I know more than you think, and one we thought dead is not; I know the mysteries of that house are not explainable--come, she urges her niece, and they move away from the cliff.

Natalie knocks at Millicent's door--may Josette stay with you a few moments? Of course, says Millicent, looking in concern at the crying Josette. Is she ill? Asks Millicent.  No, not ill, she's had a shock, says Natalie. "My poor Josette," croons Millicent. Are you going to him? Josette asks her aunt.  Natalie nods. I don't know what to think, says Josette--do you want to chance it? I must, says Natalie, "he" was the one who told me where you were, and I must assure him you're safe.  Millicent kneels and asks Josette, was your shock a romantic one?  No, sobs Josette.  Of course, says Millicent, you have no such interests now, since Cousin Barnabas...Josette wails, "Barnabas!"   Is it still his death that upsets you so? asks Millicent.
Would he really want me to be that way? wonders Josette--I can't and won't believe it--he loves me!

Josette's room at Collinwood - Natalie enters and assures Barnabas Josette is safe--I found her at Widows' Hill--if you had gone to her, says Natalie, she'd have run from you, and died.  I know, says Barnabas. The witch showed Josette a vision of herself as she would be if she went with you, reveals Natalie. "How she must loathe me," laments Barnabas.  You are dead, Barnabas Collins, she says, I saw your lifeless body carried from your room--you must let her live. Barnabas reminds her--I kept her alive. You must not see her again, insists Natalie. I will, says Barnabas.  Natalie is adamant--I don't know what you are or what pact you made with some devil, but you should return to your grave.  (didn't Joshua tell her about Barnabas when he sought her help to find the white witch?)  I don't even have that privilege, says Barnabas sadly.
You must have, says Natalie--I know about these legends, they are in my country, there are others like you. Are there? Madame, he asks, eyebrows raised. Yes, others not allowed to rest, says Natalie. "You don't know what kind of creature I am, do you?" Barnabas gently asks. "You think I'm a ghost." What are you? she asks. Are you afraid of me? he asks.  She nods--I don't know why. You are wise to be, says Barn darkly--bring Josette to me. No, she says. Don't make me force you, he warns. You cannot, she says firmly. I will see Josette, bring her here to me, I will not let you stop what must happen! He reaches for her.  Don't touch me, warns Natalie.  Josette and I belong together, he says, turning her around to face him, you will bring her here--look at me--you will do as I tell you! Forced to meet his eyes, Natalie gasps in fear as she sees Barnabas with his fangs bared. He sinks them into her throat...

(Didn't Natalie already know Barnabas was a vampire? Didn't Joshua tell her and seek her help? The continuity here is really messed up.)

Millicent is bewildered--you speak of Cousin Barnabas as if he's still alive, Josette. He is, says Josette.  That's a delusion, says Millicent, and should not be encouraged. Why do I still want to be with him, see him? says Josette aloud. His death has not stopped your love for him, says Millicent. No, it hasn't, agrees Josette, I'm so afraid.  Millicent reveals a secret--I have always been afraid to love, I've always known that when I do, some tragedy will occur, as it did to you.  Josette covers her face and cries harder. Don't cry, says Millicent, hugging her, don't think of Barnabas--when something upsets me, I simply don't think about it, I force it from my mind. Millicent, rummaging through Josette's reticule for a handkerchief, drops a pretty crystal vial on the floor--what is this, Josette?  Give that to me, demands Josette. Millicent does so, but asks if you're thinking of "doing something," given how unhappy you've been. Millicent! sobs Josette, I can think of no one but Barnabas!  Poor darling, sympathizes Millicent, hugging her. The door opens; a breathless Natalie enters and says, Josette, it's safe to go to your room. You'll go with me? asks Josette.  no, says Natalie, I must stay and thank Millicent--you will be all right. You should not leave her alone! chastises Millicent. It does not matter, says Natalie weakly. Millicent says, I'm very concerned about Josette's well-being--why does she think Cousin Barnabas is still alive?  Natalie begins to cry.  Millicent asks why, but the older woman cannot answer.

Josette returns to her room and falls upon her bed, crying. Barnabas enters through the secret panel--I'm here, he says. She cries out and attempts to escape, but he stops her, saying, "No, my darling, I know what you think, but you must hear me out..."  He advances on the terrified woman, who clings to the bedpost.

Do not fear me, begs Barnabas.  I know what you want me to become, cries Josette--a creature of the night. No, he assures her--that isn't true, not now. He sits beside her on the bed. I saw a vision, says Josette.  That's what she wanted you to see, says Barnabas, to ruin our love and stop me from having the one person I've ever wanted. That's what I would have become, wouldn't I? Josette asks. Not as she showed you, says Barnabas--we could have been together, but that is over now. How can you say that? she asks--what's over?--when you summoned me before, I came because I loved and trusted you! That WAS the way we could have been together, he admits. WAS?--it IS, you mean, she says, isn't it?  Not anymore, he says--there is another...you must believe me--there is another time 100 years from now.  What does that have to do with you and me? she asks. I am alive then, he explains--you must simply accept that. Do you think I can accept MORE? she demands. I am different in that time, he pleads, I am free of this curse. How can you be? she asks. Don't ask, just trust me, he replies. She walks to the other side of the room. Can't I ask you this? Laments Barnabas--has Angelique ruined any trust you might have? I don't know, says Josette. Try, please, he begs, we can be in another century tonight! How can you say that so casually? she asks, what kind of a fool do you think I am--how can we travel in time--what kind of witchcraft...??  Josette! he says, stopping her diatribe--I was in that time, in 1896 (he means 1897) not four hours ago--do you not remember Kitty Soames? Josette repeats the name--I don't know anyone by that name.  Or of being in the Old House, waiting for me? he probes.
I remember staring at a portrait, she says, but thought it was in a dream. No, it happened, says Barnabas. Josette thinks it over. Darling, do not try to understand, he urges, when you come to the other century, your memory will return. I can't believe this, she says, you're scaring me I'm only trying to tell you there is more to our lives than you know--I've discovered that, and will show you what I learned--give me one last chance, he begs, that's all I'll ever ask, and we will be in another century, marry, be human. She smiles wanly and says, you're spinning a dream I find difficult to believe. It would be difficult, except that I DO know, he says. What must I do? she asks.  Go to the Old House, he says, the secret is in the portrait--I can't explain--you have loved me, and still do, don't you? She turns to him, hope alight in her face, and says, "I will always love you." They kiss. I will join you at the Old House at midnight, he promises. I don't want to go alone, she protests.  I must go to Ben at the shack, says Barn--someone must stand guard for us--I will let him know what is going to happen, he will keep anyone from interfering. Josette wants to tell her Aunt Natalie.  Tell no one, insists Barnabas. I'm simply to disappear? asks Josette. Just write her a note, he advises, tell her that we have run off together and that you are happy--"You ARE happy, aren't you?" he asks. I will be, she promises, if you come, but if you don't come, I will believe that...  That this is all a lie I told you to distract you, he finishes--to make you forget--no, I swear, it isn't a lie. Let it not be, she cries. I promise to make you forget tonight, he says, and kisses her again. Help me forget, she pleads. I will, he vows, and leaves after giving her one final glance. Josette takes out paper and a feather quill, and begins to write.

In the woods, Barnabas finds himself enshrouded in fog. I should be at the road, he says to himself. What is that? He spies a strange stone altar with coiled snakes on the background. Fire burns in two standing torches. I've never seen it before, Barnabas murmurs to himself. He moves closer to the altar, wondering how it's possible--I took this path earlier tonight--this wasn't here. Where am I? What's happened to me--how could I be lost...at Collinwood? I can't be, yet I am. I am!  I must get back to the path--where is it?  A caped couple approaches him. Who are you? he asks, where am I?--who are you? The woman makes some odd, wavy gestures with her hands in front of him.  Barnabas turns and finds himself sandwiched--trapped--between them. "You! Who are you?" he shouts.

The two peculiar people kneel and bow to Barnabas, raising their hands to him as if in salute. Who are you? he asks--what are you doing? They rise to their feet and approach him. Don't come any closer, warns Barnabas--what do you want of me? The woman waves her hand again.  What kind of sign is that? demands Barnabas--you expect me to understand?--let go of me!  The man holds him tightly, preventing his escape. Disappear, Barnabas tells himself, but he can't--I can't! Who are these people? What strange powers do they have? He struggles in the man's grip, unable to free himself.

At the Old House, Josette, growing scared, stands in her room. She lifts a candle and gazes up at the portrait, wondering how it can be the key...where is he?  It's nearing midnight.

Millicent reads Josette's note to Natalie, which says, "I have gone away with Barnabas." Natalie looks ill.  She can't have, protests Millicent. She loves him, says Natalie. "But she would have to die," protests Millicent. (how does she know that?)  Many have died for love, says Natalie sadly. We must find out where she has gone, says Millicent, go after her. No, insists Natalie, we cannot fight him, I learned that.  I refuse to give up on her, says Millicent, even if you do.

12:30 -  He was to be here at 12, frets Josette--he swore he wouldn't be late, nothing could keep him from being here, except...don't think of that, I must trust him. What if Angelique is right, and everything he told me in my room is a lie? How can anyone go to another time, and what could that portrait have to do with time? He made it all up, and I was a fool to believe him. Why doesn't he come? He's afraid to come, she decides, he will have to admit he means me to become a creature of the night, as he is. No! cries Josette, growing more upset. Can I leave here? For what? He's lied to me, there is nothing left, nothing. We will never have each other! She takes the vial of poison from her reticule, pulls out the stopper, and drinks it. Immediately, she falls to the floor, uttering one final word: "Barnabas."

Woods - The odd people kiss Barnabas' hand. He is ill at ease, sickened. I can't move, he realizes, he's free, but cannot move! What's happening to me--what? The creatures make more graceful hand gestures.  The man says, "Earth--Mother Earth." No, cries Barnabas. He moves to the altar and presses himself against it, looking like a giant bat.

Josette sobs out a final goodbye to Barnabas, then dies. The camera pans to Josette's portrait.
Barnabas now lies upon the altar. The female creature hands the male something.  They both stand by the altar. She places leaves at Barnabas' head and says, "Everything it ready--we can begin now."  He will know us when he rises from this sleep, says the man, and he shall show us the way to a new and everlasting life! Barnabas lies there, seemingly unconscious, the twined serpents on the altar gazing balefully down on him.

NOTES: The male is called Oberon, the woman Haza in the credits. This is the official beginning of the Leviathan storyline.

Poor Josette, doomed to die no matter what. Barnabas did everything right by having Natalie go to Widows' Hill instead of himself, but he didn't count on being waylaid by two creatures more powerful than he. While Julia never got bitten by Barnabas, at least Natalie did, so Grayson got a chance to be attacked in this version of history. And when you think about it, two women died, because Kitty essentially became one with Josette.

Angelique was NOT alive here, and to present her as a living being really was messing with history. I'm sure Barnabas killed his witch-wife in ALL versions of history because he hated her so much at the time. It really bugs me.

Great seeing Ben again, always one of my favorite characters, and Thayer David plays him superbly.

887 - Old House - We see Julia's coat hanging up near the door.

Haza and Oberon look at Barnabas, who lies unconscious on the altar.  Oberon takes the chalice, lifts Barnabas' head, and pours some of the fluid into his mouth. Haza stands beside Oberon, then walks away.  Oberon intones, "The past is but the beginning of the beginning, and all that is and has been is but the twilight of the dawn. A day will come when beings which are now linked in our thoughts and hidden in our loins shall stand upon this earth as one stands upon a footstool, and shall laugh, and shall reach out their hands amid the stars." He passes his hand over Barnabas in a series of graceful twists and turns. Thunder rolls. Barnabas opens his eyes and sits up. Oberon and Haza gaze at him hopefully as he stands, sliding down off the altar. His face looks cruel, cold. He moves his hand in the same gesture as Oberon, reciting a poem we will be hearing a lot in the months to come: "The waters shall nourish each grain of sand, wedged between ancient, sacred stones, and guide us to the threshold of a time to be and restore our flesh and bones (brrrr!) Oberon and Haza introduce themselves to Barnabas. We bid you welcome, Master, says Oberon. You have performed your tasks well, praises Barnabas. Thank you, says Haza. There is one thing that must be done before I leave, says Barnabas--do you have the ancient book? Yes, says Oberon. I will do what must be done, says Barnabas--have you made the necessary preparations? Yes, responds, Oberon, everything is ready for you. They hand him a carved wooden box, topped with the same snakes as those on the altar.  This is the Leviathan box, says Haza.
Oberon passes it into Barnabas' hands. It is written that only this box shall accompany me, Barnabas says, but you shall be with me, in spirit--do you understand? We do, they assure him. When the time is come, how shall I know the chosen ones? asks Barnabas.   It is written, in the ancient book, says Haza, that when you seek guidance, you will find it in your dreams. It is for that reason, adds Oberon, that we must go on in spirit. Before I leave, says Barnabas, is there anything else that I must know? Our task here is done, says Haza, there is nothing more we can do. Soon, says Oberon, we shall herald the arrival of a new and all powerful leader. This box, says Barnabas, must not be opened until that time. Yes, agrees Oberon. I shall not fail, vows Barnabas, the power and wisdom of 200 years will protect and guide me and that which has been prophesied will one day become reality. We see the twined serpents on the altar.  Thunder booms.

The camera homes in on the lion's head doorknocker on the door of the Old House. Inside, Julia paces the room, reading from a journal--Tuesday, November 18th, 1969 - It's now been over a month since I returned from my strange and terrifying journey to another time. I've waited here every night at the Old House, hoping Barnabas would give me a sign, but there's been nothing. I had been hearing faint voices from the past that frightened me, for I didn't know if they inhabited the same world as I, or the darkened corridors of my mind, for I haven't heard the voices for several days and fear that Barnabas is trapped in the past and lost to me forever. Julia rises from her chair. A man whose face we cannot see looks in the window. His hair is gray.  He wears gloves and a hat.

Julia sits at the desk, writing in her journal--I must not give up hope, although there seems so little left now! She closes the journal, recaps the pen, blows out candles and doesn't see the man looking in at her. Julia leaves the Old House, her expression sad and hopeless. The man passes by the front door, seemingly following her. Julia walks through the woods, carrying her gloves and journal. She hears a sound, stops a moment, and continues on. The man is following her, feet crunching on the leaves.

Julia enters the drawing room at Collinwood and finds Carolyn wrapping a present on the piano. Starting your Christmas shopping early? (holiday mention!)  Julia asks her. No, it's a gift for my mother, says Carolyn--I saw something I thought she'd like, a piece of colonial jewelry at a new antique shop in the village--the shop is divine--you'll enjoy browsing through it. Is something  troubling you? asks Julia--you don't really sound as if the shop is DIVINE.  I meant it, says Carolyn, but it's been a strange day--I've become suddenly depressed, but nothing happened--everyone I met was nice to me, but I have the feeling that something frightening is going to happen. This makes Julia fearful, scared.  Why don't you join me at the antique shop tomorrow? Suggests Carolyn. I'm going to the Old House in the morning, says Julia. And spend the day there again? questions Carolyn.
Yes, says Julia, walking away as if she doesn't want to discuss it further. You've been doing that every day for over a month, says Carolyn--you'll worry yourself to death down there. I'm convinced Barnabas will return, says Julia. You don't sound convinced, remarks Carolyn. I know, says Julia--I fear something terrible might have happened to him. You have no way of knowing that, points out Carolyn--why torture yourself?--I don't understand why you must BE at the Old House. Because that's where Barnabas will come back, says Julia. But if you aren't there, he'll certainly know where to look for you, says Carolyn. Maybe you're right, says Julia, perhaps I'll get a good night's sleep and go to the antique shop with you--I haven't been myself since he's been gone. Carolyn grins, and asks gently, "You're very fond of him, aren't you?" Yes, admits Julia, staring at her journal. I'm sure wherever he is, he's safe and will be coming back, says Carolyn--sit down, rest, I'll bring you some tea.  Thinking, Carolyn closes the double doors and goes into the kitchen area. Julia broods, picks up Carolyn's gift, puts it down, looks out the window, opens it, closes it. She shivers. Julia hears a door open, then Magda's voice, which says, I don't understand this, I did nothing wrong. Charity's voice answers--who said you did? Why did you drag me out of bed and bring me here? asks Magda.  Mr. Edward wants to ask you some questions, says Charity.. About what, I know nothing! insists Magda.  Julia realizes--I'm hearing a conversation between Charity and Magda.  Charity says, you gypsies always know more than you pretend to know--Edward wants to know about Barnabas and that Lady 'ampshire--what might you know about that? Nothing, says Magda. Julia begins to see flashes of Josette's and Barnabas' portraits.  Lady Hampshire turned out to not be so much of a lady, reveals Charity--she and Barnabas skipped off to the Old House together and ain't been seen since. What has that has to do with me? asks Magda. You live at the Old House, says Charity, you must have seen them tonight, know where they disappeared TO. Why should I know that? demands Magda. You and he were good friends, Charity reminds her. Sure, but I ain't seen him in two weeks, says Magda. Doesn't it seem strange, asks Charity, that a man and woman could just walk into a house and then vanish into thin air? Mr. Edward got word of the little rendezvous, followed them, but when he went in after them, they were no where to be found! Julia listens, horrified. A bit weird, don't you think? asks Charity. Julia exits the drawing room and dashes out into the foyer, calling, "Charity!"  Carolyn joins Julia, asking what's wrong. "Barnabas is dead!" wails Julia. "He's dead, I'm sure of it, now, I'm sure of it!"

We see a pair of black, shiny shoes walking slowly, over dirt. Suddenly, thunder booms; the altar appears out of nowhere in the woods.
The camera focuses on one of the snakes, its tongue flicking greedily from its mouth. The gray-haired man in the hat looks at it, then walks away.

Old House - The man goes to the Old House and lets himself in (no key necessary). He closes the door behind him and, still faceless to us, enters the drawing room. He lights a candle.

Back at Collinwood, Carolyn pours tea from a silver service, telling Julia, it will calm you down. Julia still clutches her journal. You need rest, insists Carolyn. She hands Julia a cup of tea--exactly what happened? she asks. For the past few weeks, explains Julia, I've been hearing voices that seemed to come from the past--I think I heard them tonight. And they told you Barnabas is dead? asks Carolyn. No, says Julia, they said he disappeared from the Old House. You already knew that, says Carolyn. I was wrong to think that meant he was dead, admits Julia--I should have known--if he did disappear, then he must be on his way back here! You aren't making sense, says Carolyn.  Julia, however, is already half out the door--I've got to go! Carolyn chases after her to stop her exit--you're in no condition! She protests.  He might be back now, says Julia.  You're in no condition, says Carolyn--come back!  Julia is already gone. Carolyn is deep in thought.

The mysterious man takes the lit candle and begins looking around, searching the Old House. He stares up at Barnabas' portrait. Julia looks through the window of the Old House,
spotting the man. We see his face, but it doesn't look familiar. He snuffs out the candle and leaves the house. Julia is waiting outside, and shines the flashlight at him. "Who are you?" she demands.

NOTES:  Lots to ponder here.  Julia's obvious, and no longer hidden, feelings for Barnabas are on display for Carolyn.  She's been going daily to the Old House to wait for his return, rarely sleeping, worrying about the guy she loves.  She and Carolyn have become friends.

As far as the 1897 crowd is concerned, Kitty and Barnabas eloped somewhere and will never return.  Too bad that didn't really happen.  The truth is far less happy.

Who are Haza and Oberon?  What new caper is Barnabas becoming involved in?  Will he be human when he returns, or not quite?  Will he lose his vampirism?  What will happen when he and Julia meet again?  Can we perhaps expect a kiss, or at least a big hug?

Who is the man Julia has met in the woods, and what is his connection to Julia and the Collins family?

Love, Robin

vampire675

Re:Robservations 4/10/03 - #886-887 - 1796 Finale; Hello, Leviathans!
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2003, 02:34:30 PM »
It's been a while since I put in my two cents worth. I wanted to agree with Cassandra yesterday, that Angelique was a ghost in this alternate history, able to solidify and manipulate objects. Then, at the end, she faded away after scaring Jossette at Widow's Hill. I also consider this to be an alternate history or parallel time episode, manipulated by the Leviathans, since Josette committed suicide by poison this time-line, instead of the fall off of the cliff.
   vampire 675

Offline ProfStokes

• * Ingenious Intellect *
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Re:Robservations 4/10/03 - #886-887 - 1796 Finale; Hello, Leviathans!
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2003, 03:30:00 AM »
Natalie is adamant--I don't know what you are or what pact you made with some devil, but you should return to your grave.  (didn't Joshua tell her about Barnabas when he sought her help to find the white witch?)

I don't think that's happened yet.  Josette died before Joshua discovered Barnabas's secret, therefore Bathia Mapes is not even part of the picture yet. It does bother me that everybody always assumes Barnabas has made some evil bargain to gain prolonged life.  Why would anybody choose his circumstances?

Millicent reads Josette's note to Natalie, which says, "I have gone away with Barnabas." Natalie looks ill.  She can't have, protests Millicent. She loves him, says Natalie. "But she would have to die," protests Millicent. (how does she know that?)

Since Millicent believes Barnabas is dead and has already spotted Josette with poison, I interpreted her remark as her belief that Josette wanted to commit suicide to join him.

Who is the man Julia has met in the woods, and what is his connection to Julia and the Collins family?

At least we can enjoy seeing Dennis Patrick again in this storyline.

ProfStokes