Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0247  (Read 685 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #0247
« on: July 04, 2012, 12:11:50 AM »
Robservations - #247

And if you'd care to look back, the first WP discussion topic for this ep:
Re: Discuss - Ep #0247

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2012, 09:01:41 AM »
I'm sitting here thinking of ways that could have been used to make that beginning cliffhanger a little less lame.  They could have cut to Maggie with a blank look on her face playing the music box.  Sort of hackneyed, but surely more effective than what we got.

I didn't remember the FBI getting involved with Maggie's kidnapping.  I've never watched a single episode of The X-Files, but would this be a job for the predecessors of Mulder and Scully?

Kathryn Leigh Scott is doing a nice job these days.  She's playing a personality that, as far as I can tell, has nothing in common with her own vigorous, go-getting personality.  It's all blurred edges.  I keep looking for Maggie, and she's not there.  It's hard to remember that she ever was there.

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2012, 04:02:12 PM »
Yes, KLS is doing a very good job.

Maggie wanders downstairs just after Sam leaves, and Willie orders her to go back to her room. But she doesn't want to stay there. And small wonder, too--here’s not a book to be seen in Josette’s room and certainly no TV or even needlework to help her pass the time.

Welcome, Old House basement!

The time is out of joint: A distant clock chimes slowly as Willie opens the louver doors to the left of the fireplace. (The “official” entrance to the cellar, the metal door, hasn’t yet been installed to the right of the fireplace.) The clock continues striking as the camera pans from left to right, giving us our first look at the basement of the Old House: We see a door off to the left (remember this for later!), then the main room, then-- a coffin set on a plinth in the middle of the room. The back wall has three arched niches and a staircase in front of it. The clock is still striking as Willie slowly, fearfully descends the stairs, careful to keep as far away from the coffin as he can. As the clock strikes nineteen (I counted!), for the first time ever, we see the coffin lid slowly rise to reveal the vampire, awakening to another night.

After Barnabas (still in the coffin!) flings Willie aside for the umpteenth time, the camera stays on Willie, crouched on the floor, while noises suggest that JF is getting out of the coffin. Eventually he must have learned to do it nearly silently.