Author Topic: Getting the heck out of 1897!.....  (Read 3321 times)

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
Getting the heck out of 1897!.....
« on: April 08, 2003, 06:51:59 PM »
A question for the scholars among us:

Has anyone involved with the show ever commented on the relatively hasty conclusion of this story arc?  I know....for some of us the whole story has been interminable.....I'm referring to the speed at which it suddenly reached a crescendo, all the badies got their just rewards, many hasty goodbyes were exchanged and then everyone moved on to "Leviathan"

It seems as though someone suddenly said, "Enough already!!....get us a whole new story!".....and the writers had 15 minutes to decide where they were going next.

Anyone know the background of this transition?
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline jennifer

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • DSF God
  • we'll always love you Don!
    • View Profile
Re:Getting the heck out of 1897!.....
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2003, 02:50:34 PM »
not really but i wish we got to know the fates of Magda, Charity,
Judith among others. the next storyline was too weird for me!

jennifer
we are the champions!!!!
 2007 Boston Red Sox
PAV

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2003, 05:04:24 PM »

jennifer

Those are a few things I woulda like to have seen resolved.  I guess there was the possibility of doing a storyline involving the return of Petofi which might've answered some of those questions, but as we all know, the show was canceled.

Gerard

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2003, 06:42:46 PM »
It seems as though someone suddenly said, "Enough already!!....get us a whole new story!".....and the writers had 15 minutes to decide where they were going next.

Anyone know the background of this transition?

Wasn't there an announcement over the closing credits a couple of months before the end of 1897, with Frid promising a return to 1969?  It's not on the tapes but I'm sure I read this.  Can anyone confirm it?

I think 1897's was a typical DS storyline ending, particularly with the high body count.  But like jennifer and Gerard, I wish a few more loose ends had been tied up before we were thrown into the next story.

As my friend Nicky is wont to say, "Leviathans ho!"  ;)

Offline Cassandra

• Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2003, 08:43:34 PM »

It would have been great to know what became of them all?  Did Charity/Pansy ever marry?  Did she stay at Collinwood for the rest of her life?  I somehow can't imagine her continuing to live at Collinwood with Quentin gone. I would think that after awhile Judith & Edward would prove to be too boring for her.   Did she continue with her nightclub act at the Blue Whale?  And what about Edward? He certainly seemed interested in re-marrying.   I image that Judith never remarried after that awful experience with Trask. (would have been nice to know that her and Tim got together!!) ;)

At least with 1795 we were given some idea as to what became of everyone. (there was hardly anyone left at all by the end of that storyline anyway!!)

Cassandra[/font]
"Calamity Jane"

Offline Misty

• Full Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2003, 10:09:58 PM »
 ??? I've noticed that at the end of most DS storylines, events happen fast and furious. Can't be fast enough for me------if Petofi doesn't soon disappear, I'll have to S C R E A M!!!!!  I think the writers have gone the limit (and over it) with 1897. Not that the story wasn't a good one, for much of the time. It was one of my favorites.
                                                                          Misty
" Small things amuse small minds"--------at least my students have been led to believe!

Offline VictoriaWintersRox

• Full Poster
  • Vickified
    • View Profile
    • The Regal Beagle
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2003, 10:47:45 PM »
Maybe they went back to 1969 to try to raise ratings? The ratings hadn't gone down a lot but they could've been trying to recapture/improve on the rating they got during the peak of 1897.

*sigh* I didn't program the VCR correctly so I didn't get to see today's episodes and didn't wake up until after they aired [Spring Break]. I was really looking forward to the last episode too. Oh well, I'll just have to read Robservations for those two episodes.

Connie

« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2003, 09:12:01 AM »
I think 1897's was a typical DS storyline ending, particularly with the high body count.

LOL.
A bit of trivia - Johannes Brahms also died in 1897.  (Don't think he lived near Collinsport though)  [gring]

I don't think they even spent as much as 15 minutes coming up with the next storyline.  Ugh!  Wake me when it's over.  No, wait, wake me when "Grant Douglas" shows up.

[coolb]

PS  Is there any Willie in Leviathan??

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2003, 12:36:19 PM »

Yup. Willie returns.  And with a little surprise, I do believe.

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2003, 12:38:33 PM »

There damned well BETTER be!!! [madan] 
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2003, 04:09:38 PM »
LOL.
A bit of trivia - Johannes Brahms also died in 1897.  (Don't think he lived near Collinsport though)  [gring]

LOL, Connie!

Stoker's Dracula was first published in 1897.  While the killings were going on in Collinsport, the ultimate DS source was born.

Pity that Barn didn't swing by England to pick up a 1st edition before he time warped again. ::)

Offline onyx_treasure

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2003, 05:20:00 PM »
     Now, how in the heck is Barnabas going to get the heck out of 1897 if his astral self joined him in 1897(thanks to Edward tossing the I-Ching wand off the table)?  I know the Leviathans transport the alter to 1969 so I guess Barnabas went along for the ride.  Anyway, just how did Barnabas think he and Josette were going to magically go to 1897?
     Travel to the future using the pull from people from the past(ex. Barnabas going back to save Victoria or Peter Bradford getting pulled back), I-Ching wands, Portraits pulling you in, and a staircase.  I can't think of any other ways at the moment but if time travel was this easy Barnabas should have gone back into the past to make sure he avoided Angelique in Martinique.  ::)
There are two means of refuge from the misery of life--music and cats.  Albert Schweitzer

Offline Anubis

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2003, 04:07:19 AM »
      I can't think of any other ways at the moment but if time travel was this easy Barnabas should have gone back into the past to make sure he avoided Angelique in Martinique.  ::)

Good point.  I never though of that.

Connie

« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2003, 05:41:20 AM »
Yup. Willie returns.  And with a little surprise, I do believe.

Ah!  I DO so love surprises.

Hmm...I guess everyone's tired of 1897.

-CLC
Being dragged from 1897 kicking and screaming.  [scrm]

Offline Cassandra

• Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2003, 07:47:37 AM »
Hmm...I guess everyone's tired of 1897.

Not me! Im gonna miss seeing ole Pansy/Charity, Magda, Quentin, Beth and the whole lot.  And as much as I couldn't stand Aristede in the beginning, after awhile he does kind of grow on you. Im not sure if I can get use to this whole Leviathan thing.

What I can't understand is why Barnabas never learns from his past mistakes with his loved ones. Everytime he leaves them alone and "promises to be back soon" something always happens!  He left Josette alone originally in 1795 and she winds up getting frightened by Angelique and then jumps off the cliff.  Then in 1897, he leaves Kitty and tells her to wait for him in Josette's room, then she fades away.  Now he gets his chance again with Josette and tells her to wait in her room at the old house, and once again, something happens!!

He sees they're frightened of being left alone and usually with good reason. Yet, he always has something to do. Why couldn't he just summon Ben to come to him at the old house instead of deciding to trek through the woods himself to find him?  Or better yet he could have just "disappeard" and met up with Ben faster!  He always chooses the hard way when he can get things done so much faster by using his own powers.   And why does he need Ben there just to watch that no one disturbs them? Hasn't anyone ever heard of locking the door?
"Calamity Jane"