Author Topic: Sorta OT: Cable descramblers or No DS for 5 months?  (Read 1194 times)

Offline Julia99

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
  • My Fans are Legion
    • View Profile
    • Barnabas & Company
Sorta OT: Cable descramblers or No DS for 5 months?
« on: April 08, 2003, 04:28:31 PM »
Okay. . I just arrived in Manhattan.. although i was promised basic cable in my rental contract, in NYC that means 5 channels.  Uh, okay.  So now, do i pay an extra $25.00 per month just for my Grayson fix or do i invest in a cable descrambler?  I was told I could get a Level 2 basic cable upgrade with my current box  (which guarantees me only CNN and TNT not SCIFI) or get a Level 3 (which gets my SCIFI) which requires a new box altogether.  What do your minds tell me i should do?   Get a cable descrambler from ebay or  .. .? or?? HELP!!
Julia99

Offline CastleBee

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Re:Sorta OT: Cable descramblers or No DS for 5 months?
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2003, 05:34:19 PM »
What I might do is buy the video set, check the calendar for show times and then watch them in the order of the SciFi broadcasts.  That way, you'll be able to dicuss the current shows, won't miss any of Grayson's shining moments, and will have the series for future viewing when/if [woryg] SciFi decides to cut us all off one day.  What, other than inane commercials, do you have to lose?

CastleBee ~ who, with the exception of DS, has become increasingly cynical about cable TV over the years.
“There is something haunting in the light of the moon; it has all the dispassionateness of a disembodied soul, and something of its inconceivable mystery." ~ Joseph Conrad

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2003, 09:10:43 PM »
Just in case it helps, I believe the MPI volume # of Grayson's return is 130.

Other than that, I don' know NAHSSING bout cable descramblers.

Hugs,  Gothick

ClaudeNorth

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2003, 09:30:33 PM »
Ahh, yes.  In the world of cable, basic refers to broadcast channels only.  Standard cable refers to non-premium channels.  The offering of various levels or tiers was established to give the illusion that subscribers had a choice and weren't paying for things they didn't want.  It's unfortunate that cable companies are allowed to have monopolies in specific regions.  The customer would be better served if he had several companies to choose from, IMHO.

As for buying a descrambler, I have an almost REEFER MADNESS-esque view of these things.  Get a descrambler, the cable company catches you, and the next thing you know, you're knocking over liquor stores and spending so much time bouncing in and out of the slammer, you won't even have a chance to watch TV. <LOL>

Regards,

John (who is terrified of authority figures, getting in trouble, and being yelled at)

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2003, 09:45:09 PM »
First thing you have to know is EXACTLY what you get and for how much.  Do you get any choice in the packages? (Our local cable co. allowed me to chose 4 non-premium channels at random, including Sci Fi, before it became part of a larger family package.)  What else do you have to take?  Are you interested in any of it?

If it's going to cost you more than you want, to get a whole lot of stuff you have no interest in, then getting the whole series on video just might make much more sense.  At least then you have it for always!  ;)
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline dom

• Long Lost Cousin Returned
  • Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2003, 10:14:52 PM »
Keep it legal, New York City has enough criminals.  ;) :)

Connie

« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2003, 04:41:55 AM »
So now, do i pay an extra $25.00 per month just for my Grayson fix or do i invest in a cable descrambler? 

An extra $25 per month for Grayson isn't too bad...is it?  You'll get a bunch of other channels as well, right?  Hell, we pay around $80 a month for cable.  Boy, if I had my way I'd get rid of all these dumb channels.  Everyone watches them but me.
Oh -- and while I'm in a bitchy mood, you'd think for all that money they'd provide Soapnet so I could see Falcon Crest.
But Noooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!

-CLC
Who only needs cable box for taping DS and other than that, the 'f' ing cable box can go out the window for all I care.

[angryf]

Offline jennifer

• DSF God
  • we'll always love you Don!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2003, 02:29:42 PM »
So now, do i pay an extra $25.00 per month just for my Grayson fix or do i invest in a cable descrambler? 

An extra $25 per month for Grayson isn't too bad...is it?  You'll get a bunch of other channels as well, right?  Hell, we pay around $80 a month for cable.  Boy, if I had my way I'd get rid of all these dumb channels.  Everyone watches them but me.
Oh -- and while I'm in a bitchy mood, you'd think for all that money they'd provide Soapnet so I could see Falcon Crest.
But Noooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!

-CLC
Who only needs cable box for taping DS and other than that, the 'f' ing cable box can go out the window for all I care.

[angryf]

i agree with Connie and the others! they are coming down hard on cable fraud! it's not worth the 125.00(? 5months) or
 CastleBee had a good idea too!
good luck and have fun in NY!
jennifer
we are the champions!!!!
 2007 Boston Red Sox
PAV

Offline Julia99

• Senior Poster
  • My Fans are Legion
    • View Profile
    • Barnabas & Company
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2003, 04:12:12 PM »
well. .i have to get my landlords permission. . .a different cable box which he might not want to do since this is only a 5-month sublet. . see there are other complication . .of COURSE I'd pay $25.00 for Grayson. . i've paid more but!  Maybe i'll just ask drjuliah to videotape them for me. . .hmmm

J99
Julia99