Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0245  (Read 1007 times)

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Discuss - Ep #0245
« on: June 30, 2012, 06:06:33 AM »
Robservations - #245

And if you'd care to look back, the first WP discussion topic for this ep:
Re: Discuss - Ep #0245

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2012, 07:46:49 AM »
I found it interesting that what's worrying Willie is apparently not the possibility that his blood sample could in some way lead Dr. Woodard to suspect Barnabas.  Rather, Willie is worried about the shame of people knowing that - well, I'm not sure exactly what he doesn't want people to know.  I think it's that he's enslaved to Barnabas, but I don't think Willie spelled it out for us.  It doesn't really matter.  What does matter is this: were the writers worried that if Willie expressed abject concern for Barnabas’s well-being, ABC Standards and Practices would come down on them?

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2012, 06:39:33 PM »
I suppose that by now, Willie's first priority has to be protecting Barnabas. And I'm sure he doesn't want people to know that he's enslaved to a vampire--he's already been in trouble with the law and could face life in the slammer (as an accessory) or in an insane asylum. He's in a lose/lose situation. But later, when Willie finds out that Barnabas swapped slides, he babbles, I knew you'd protect me.

Doc Woodard acknowledges that some people are reluctant to give up their blood. Barnabas waxes rhapsodic while the doc performs the venipuncture: In a way, isn’t that understandable? he says. After all, blood is the life force. It reaches into the deepest recesses of both the heart and the brain. It is the familiar of our complete being. To surrender even one drop of it is to suggest a partial surrender of one’s utmost self.

Barnabas asks to see the slide, and the doctor hands it to him, warning him to handle it by the edges. This is almost certainly, Barnabas's first-hand experience of modern medicine. They talk briefly about whoever trashed the doctor's office, and Woodard wonders whether it was a man or a beast who had such tremendous strength. Barnabas replies, In that case, whoever it is must be at the same time more than a man and less than a man. You sound almost sorry for him, the doctor observes. Barnabas disagrees: I loathe him. I loathe him very, very deeply.

Offline Janet the Wicked

• Senior Poster
  • These pretzels are making me thirsty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2012, 07:53:36 PM »
I found it interesting that what's worrying Willie is apparently not the possibility that his blood sample could in some way lead Dr. Woodard to suspect Barnabas.  Rather, Willie is worried about the shame of people knowing that - well, I'm not sure exactly what he doesn't want people to know. 

From my end, I think Willie is afraid that his blood sample will match to Maggie's and may point towards Barnabas.

Willie is wearing that hunka hunka mod belt. Yummy! Hate Willie's hair in this episode. Frizz City.

It's curious how interrested Burke is in this case. I guess he is adamant about persecuting Willie. He's Matt Dillon riding into town to save Vicki Winters.

You know how Barnabas is the consummate gentleman? Why is he shouting through the house for his servant?

And, Doc Woodard, if some of the most beautiful things you've ever seen are microscopic malignancies - you need to get out more.

Loved Vicki dancing with Burke.
I get a kick out of these guys who think they're so clean, when all the time they're trying to cover up their dirt.

Offline alwaysdavid

• Senior Poster
  • My journey is beginning,
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2012, 07:08:30 PM »
JF had a hard time saying,"Very tragic Malady."   Barnabas says he loaths the one who is involved with Maggie when Woodard thinks he feels sorry for him.  It seems  a strong reaction for one only slightly involved in the Evanses plight, but Woodard seems not to notice. 
Another Burke/Vickie date.  Burke needs to loosen up a bit and have some fun. He's not showing the passion he had with Laura.
you know there's a whole wing that's closed off all the time; the west wing, I go there lots of times

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2012, 07:53:32 PM »
I don't think Vicki is supposed to inspire passion--at least, not that kind. But it's possible to see why Burke no. 1 (Mitchell Ryan) found her attractive. To him she might represent a peaceful, calm new life after all the storm and stress he's been through.