Author Topic: Seance Fun -- O.T.  (Read 668 times)

Offline Philippe Cordier

• (formerly known as Vlad)
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Seance Fun -- O.T.
« on: February 22, 2002, 12:48:21 AM »
Originally posted by Vlad on the Dark Shadows: General Discussion Forum on February 21, 2002 at 18:48:21:

Does anyone have memories of holding seances as a kid as a result of "Dark Shadows?"

I remember having a childhood interest in seances, and though I can't specifically remember seeing seances on the show, I'm sure DS must have played some role in this.

I do remember holding one particular seance, though, with me as the "medium." I was very interested in magic at the time, and my hero was Houdini, whom I read about avidly. Houdini badly wanted to believe in life after death and to communicate with his deceased mother, but he wasn't willing to be taken in by charlatans whose methods he could easily recognize. He became a great exposer of psychic frauds. Anyway, in my reading of magician's tricks, I devised a seance that I put on for my sister and parents.

My older sister typically heckled me a bit, but after I had my dad tie me to a chair and the lights were put out, she gasped when only a few moments later a luminous ball bobbed through the air around the room. I vaguely remember producing some other phenomena, such as some knocks on the table, and once the lights came back on (and I was seen to be still securely tied to my chair), a small school slate now had writing on it by the spirits! [eek]

How did I do it? Like all magicians - and psychic practitioners - I'll never reveal my secrets! ;)

As an aside, it's interesting to note how today's psychic mediums have changed their shows for today's more sophisticated (?) audiences. No longer satisfied with producing ectoplasm and disembodied voices through a spirit trumpet, today's spirits prefer to communicate through tantalizing guesswork - "I'm Aunt Tillie, but I'll tease them by saying, My name begins with a "T" - - Surely someone in the audience knows of someone who has "crossed over" whose name has a "T" in it! [chkyg]

Anyone else with seance memories?

Hoping to try out for the U.S. Skeleton team in the 2006 Olympics (and only tied up on very *special* occasions nowadays [blshy]), I am ...

-Vlad

:) :) :)
"Collinwood is not a healthy place to be." -- Collinsport sheriff, 1995

Offline Birdie

• Senior Poster
  • And her little dog too
    • View Profile
Re: Seance Fun -- O.T.
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2002, 01:06:18 AM »
Posted by Birdie on February 21, 2002 at 19:06:18:
In Reply to: Seance Fun -- O.T. posted by Vlad on February 21, 2002 at 18:48:21:

Oh Yes, I held many a seance around the dinning room table. For some reason we were always trying to contact Sharon Tate. It must have been shortly after her murder. I am afraid we didn't have much success, but a lot of fun.

Another off topic. My mother was very sick this last week and I had to bring her to the hospital.{She came home yesterday and is on the mend.} The TV in the hospital only got 5 channels. Somehow we caught you guessed it John E. This gave my mom a chuckle. The next day we were still laughing over him and the crossing over thing. Little did we know the lady in the next bed was listening and she had a terminal illness. I felt like a crumb. She did find our family amusing in her last hours. The poor thing crossed over that night.

My mother has been interested in pschics all her life. She has gone to some and brought me along. One palm reader was so good I never went to another. It kind of scared me.

Birdie--who would like to acknowledge the presence of a person who's name starts with a T. Oh ya, that is the guy standing behind me who want to use the computer
Birdie--
God please put your arm around my shoulder and your hand across my mouth

Offline Philippe Cordier

• (formerly known as Vlad)
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2002, 09:09:02 PM »
Posted by Vlad on February 23, 2002 at 15:09:02:
In Reply to: Re: Seance Fun -- O.T. posted by Birdie on February 21, 2002 at 19:06:18:

Oh Yes, I held many a seance around the dinning room table. For some reason we were always trying to contact Sharon Tate. It must have been shortly after her murder. I am afraid we didn't have much success, but a lot of fun.

O.K., Birdie, first you tell us that DS contributed to your delinquency as a minor [beer], and now you reveal some *very* macabre seance experiments ... What next?? Devil worship???? [nuts] [nuts]

And some say "Harry Potter" is dangerous to children ... [rleyeg]

-Vlad
[angl]
"Collinwood is not a healthy place to be." -- Collinsport sheriff, 1995

Offline Birdie

• Senior Poster
  • And her little dog too
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2002, 09:42:13 PM »
Posted by Birdie on February 23, 2002 at 15:42:13:
In Reply to: Re: Seance Fun -- O.T. posted by Vlad on February 23, 2002 at 15:09:02:

Don't tell my mother, she won't let me watch DS any more.lol

Birdie--who now is a very boring woman...I can still remember the person I use to be
Birdie--
God please put your arm around my shoulder and your hand across my mouth