Author Topic: John Barleycorn Must Die  (Read 1910 times)

Offline Patti Feinberg

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • DSF God
    • View Profile
John Barleycorn Must Die
« on: April 05, 2003, 03:44:42 AM »
...and so must

Evan Hanley

and so must

Aristede

and so must

SPOILER

TRASK

da da da DA!!!

Patti
What a Woman!

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
Re:John Barleycorn Must Die
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2003, 04:07:18 AM »
"John Barleycorn Must Die"......what a memory!!

I snatched my brother's copy of that album when he left for Vietnam......played it 'till it was a ruin.  Thought he'd kill me when he found out.....but he was just so damned happy to be home......

Thanks, Patti......haven't thought of that in years....... [laugh]
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline Carol

• * Fiction Filly *
    Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
  • New York Cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2003, 01:04:59 PM »
I remember going to John Barleycorn's pub in NYC after watching the St. Patrick's Day parade back in the 70's. I took a personal day from work to meet up with friends but later found out that "personal day" didn't include watching a parade. My boss was none too happy [angrb] about that episode.
carolinamooon

"All that we see or seem is but a dream within a dream" - Edgar Allan Poe

Offline Luciaphile

• ** Collinsport Commentator **
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2003, 01:51:13 PM »
I'm now going to date myself and inquire:

Who is John Barleycorn and why must he die?  ???
"Some people ask their god for answers to their spiritual questions. For everything else, there is Google." --rpcxdr-ga

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2003, 03:04:10 PM »
"John Barleycorn" must die in order to make the whiskey, that's why.

It's a very old folk song about harvesting and threshing barley so that it can be used to make whiskey.  In the late-1960's the English band TRAFFIC  recorded their take on the song.  The album is also entitled "John Barleycorn Must Die"
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline jennifer

• DSF God
  • we'll always love you Don!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2003, 07:27:58 PM »
"John Barleycorn" must die in order to make the whiskey, that's why.

It's a very old folk song about harvesting and threshing barley so that it can be used to make whiskey.  In the mid-1960's the English band TRAFFIC (Eric Clapton, Ginger Baker, Jack Bruce....if memory serves) recorded their take on the song.  The album is also entitled "John Barleycorn Must Die"

and such a good memory! great band!

jennifer
and Patti just you watch!
we are the champions!!!!
 2007 Boston Red Sox
PAV

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2003, 08:24:58 PM »
Except, of course, that I've got it completly wrong!!  That was the line-up of 'CREAM' that I listed....and not 'TRAFFIC' at all....which was Steve Winwood, Chris Wood, and Jim Capaldi!! [6184]

Ahhhh, after a while, all those Englishmen begin to run together!

Patti....I'm sitting here playing my brand new CD copy of "John Barleycorn"....studio headphones are a wonderful thing.

THANK YOU!!!......for reminding me....I think I'll call my brother.  [laugh]   
Dylan Thomas

Offline Patti Feinberg

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2003, 10:19:09 PM »
Actually Raineypark...shame on ME for not catching that... Creem/Cream (help me out Ringo) is my FAVORITE band....
 [82e4]

[size=8]Ola JACK BRUCE[/size]

Patti

you know, I hit preview...that 'band' looks like Chicago's rendition of '25 or 6 to 4' lololololol!!!! think about it...
What a Woman!

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2003, 01:07:46 AM »
I never knew that a British rock band had recorded this song!  Too bad that Fairport Convention did not record it on Liege and Lief (with the gorgeous Sandy Denny singing the lead!)

I've heard and sung it myself for many years at Lammas, a festival honoring the harvesting of the first fruits from the Land held every year in early August.

Gothick

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2003, 04:32:44 AM »
I never knew that a British rock band had recorded this song!  Too bad that Fairport Convention did not record it on Liege and Lief (with the gorgeous Sandy Denny singing the lead!)
I've heard and sung it myself for many years at Lammas, a festival honoring the harvesting of the first fruits from the Land held every year in early August.

How extraodinary that you should make that comment, Steve.  The last sentence of the liner notes on my new CD of "John Barleycorn" reads as follows: "Along with Fairport Convention's Liege and Leif, John Barleycorn Must Die stands as a pivotal statement in late 60's/early 70's British folk rock music."  The earliest known copy dates to 1465.  Which means the boys down at the Blue Whale almost certainly sang it when they were in their cups in 1795!!

Don'tcha just love all this esoteric stuff we come up with around here?  [lghy]
Dylan Thomas

ClaudeNorth

« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2003, 04:42:54 AM »
Reading these posts about an old folk song brings back memories of the hellish summer I spent performing at a Renaissance Faire. I hadn't felt so completely out of place since junior high school! <lol>  Everyone else was REALLY into it, but I simply could not figure out the appeal, aside from the cultural contributions of the era.  Besides, I'd rather go to a museum or see a play as a way of experiencing the Renaissance era. Part of the rehearsal process was learning several folk songs from the era (I'm assuming they were from that era) which we performed in an interminable musical review.  Plus, we were expected to stay in character every moment of the day.  I spent as much time as possible hiding out in the cast members only areas, wondering if one day there would be Antebellum South Faires, with people recreating life on the plantations as if it was one big party.

Ahhhh, memories...
 ::)

John

Connie

« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2003, 04:43:01 AM »
Too bad that Fairport Convention did not record it on Liege and Lief (with the gorgeous Sandy Denny singing the lead!)

Too bad they weren't playing Fairport Convention's Unhalfbricking in the background while Tim Shaw was sealing up the dear Reverend in his final resting place.

[gring]

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2003, 05:01:09 AM »
Reading these posts about an old folk song brings back memories of the hellish summer I spent performing at a Renaissance Faire......Everyone else was REALLY into it, but I simply could not figure out the appeal, aside from the cultural contributions of the era. John

I think I'd have to agree with you, John.  We have friends involved in "Revolutionary War" re-enactments, "Civil War" re-enactments and Renaissance Faires.  (NOT all the same people! [lghy].)

We love them all dearly, but they're all crazy as loons.  Once they get into character they refuse to come back out until the event is over....if then!  One wonderful young man has been painstakingly assembling his own chain mail suit for the last year!!
Dylan Thomas

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2003, 05:07:26 AM »
Too bad they weren't playing Fairport Convention's Unhalfbricking in the background while Tim Shaw was sealing up the dear Reverend in his final resting place.[gring]

.....or Pink Floyd, at the very least, Connie!!  [82e4]
Dylan Thomas

Connie

« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2003, 05:23:27 AM »
.....or Pink Floyd, at the very least, Connie!!  [82e4]

LOL!  I'll drink to that.

[beer]